IRC

Soldato
I stopped using it probably around 2009 I think, used to be on Quake.net playing CS 1.6 and in the WoW server channels. I just use Discord now.

Soldato
Long shot but did anyone ever go on #TommyBoyd which was a hangout for people who listened to TalkSports "Human Zoo" radio program?

It sometimes branched out a place where people would formulate prank calls or fake events and widn up TalkSport presenters. One night Charlie Wolf was convinced that Suzie Quatro had died and the radio station scrambled to verify if it was true. Hilarious stuff when you were a teen.

Old internet was best internet.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just to bump this, I've rediscovered what the net used to be like through IRC lately.

Synchronised watching of star trek episodes with a beer and running commentary on IRC is hilarious. :)

Really enjoying my middle aged geeking out sessions and I'd recommend giving it another go to anyone that used to frequent it in the old days. :)

Soldato
I'm surprised at how IRC isn't dead given things like discord to be honest.
IRC isn't a program its a protocol, mIRC is just one of many that use it.

IRC is still used for the same reason FTP, Telnet, Newsgroups and other older systems are, the internet isn't all about the WWW.

Back
Top Bottom