Irregular BSOD on new rig

Associate
Hi everyone,

i'm in desperate need of help :(
Current situation: I build a new system (not my first build) and it
appears to have irregular BSOD/Restarts. But first things first; systemspecs:
MB: X570 Asus Crosshair VIII hero (Wifi)
BIOS: 2702
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @~3,7GHz boosts to 4,9 GHz, confirmed with CPUID
RAM: 32 GB G.Skill Trident z rgb @3200MHz, qualified by asus for the motherboard
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 970
SSD1 (OS): Samsung SSD 980 Pro 250 GB NVMe
SSD2: Samsung SSD 980 Pro1TB NVMe
PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12, 1200W

My path so far:
The motherboard had to be flashed from a stick due to the BIOS being so
new for the 5900X. After i got the MB to recognize the CPU it was able to post.
Then i started getting BSODs with WHEA_uncorrectable_error, mostly during gaming sessions.
I did some research, unlocked my PSU from multirail to singlerail and had some peace for
like 5days. Then they came back + i also got a BSOD when i only had my browser open.
I looked into my dumbfiles and most of the BSOD had the PSHED.dll driver and ntoskrnl.exe as cause.
I also had some random restarts, thats when only the ntoskrnl.exe was the cause and the
errorcode changed to Driver_Power_State_Failure.
I checked my RAM with memtester and nothing was found. The system also didnt mind
Cinebench 23 tests. The temps on my CPU are 73° C under high load.
The system is in no way overclocked from the stock settings. I did sfc scannow
multiple times, it has not found anything since the first two times. I also already completely reinstalled
windows and the problem remained. The GPU is from an
older system which also rarely had the occasional Driver_Power_State_Failure (once or twice a year).
The BSODs are currently once mby twice a day, and then i go a few days without.
Can anyone tell me what else i can do to try and home in on the potential root-cause
of the BSODs? I can also add the dumpfiles if anyone is interested, i have plenty of them :/

Im thankful for any advice!

Kind regards

Sebbo

Last edited:
Associate
Ram 2x32 or 4x16.
I would try reducing to single or dual pair.
Potential dodgy stick?

Associate
OP
dodgy even if memtest86 didnt find anything? :/

edit: they are 4x8GB Sticks =32GB , i did that wrong in the initial post

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Powersettings are to max, scannow results in no findings anymore, hardware manager only tells me everything is up to date on every device
+ i have already formated and reinstalled windows completely once. I think thats all the common fixes i found on power state error.

Associate
OP
I have had DOCP disabled for a while, didnt change anything with the BSOD

Associate
OP
Sorry, i just corrected my RAM size. It is 32 GB in total, i have four sticks. CPUID doesnt show the speed, i have however also manually set the RAM speeds to 3200MHz before and that didnt change anything.

Associate
Tried with xmp turned off?
Are the sticks if ram identical, in terms of speeds/spec

Associate
OP
The sticks are identical, xmp (in this case DOCP) is off. Still getting WHEA_uncorrectable error. Any other suggestions?

Associate
OP
Alright, new instance of failure: System turned off, all fans were put to 100% and i had a black screen. Motherboard hat a orange light on just underneath the error core number pad. Anyone know what that could mean?

Soldato
there is a new bios out for that mb plus a beta one too
Yeah, I'd go with the agesa 1.1.9.0 beta bios as that's supposed to fix a lot of bugs and improve compatibility.

In the bios description "Improve system performance and compatibility"

Associate
OP
Updated the BIOS, things have gotten worse, i get BSOD every 30 Minutes now :/

Associate
OP
Hi, just an update: I was in contact with AMD, they said they respect the troubleshooting i did, gave two more possible settings i didnt know about that could cause it.
I changed those settings and nothing changed. They accepted the RMA, i have a new CPU directly from them and everything is working amazingly.
Should you encounter issues similar to mine i recommend RMAing the hardware. Thx for the input everyone!

Top Bottom