Is 450W enough for my build?

Associate
My full system-
Ryzen 7 5800x
2x8gb corsair RGB 3600mghz CL16 memory
RX580(waiting for gpu prices to go down to get a new one)
Asus B550-F WiFi
Cooler master ML240 AIO
6x RGB fans
2x Non RGB fans
Lian Li Lancool 2 mesh RGB
corsair fan controller
500GB 2.5' Samsung SSD

BeQuiet 450W PSU - is this enough for my build?
currently I'm getting problems such as screen freezing and when i start up my PC sometimes the screen is all fuzzy and multicoloured (I can still access windows though). Also , nothing on my PC other than RAM XMP profile is overclocked.
Thanks

Soldato
Spend once, and smartly on a decent gold rated PSU and work out what your "potential" requirements for a future GPU will need, and you'll be good for 5 - 10 years (with a decent warranty to boot).

Associate
I am going to deviate from the crowed here, your PSU is rated within typical draw of your CPU and graphics card, with enough head room to cover spikes.

Graphics 200W + CPU 110 + 50W mobo etc = 360W

The life expectancy of the PSU will be lower as it will likely run hotter, but as with all modern electronics, it will still last longer than the machine becoming hopelessly obsolete.

Don't expect output signal to be stable, as long as you don't overclock, everything should be gold.

Down side would be to expect slightly worse efficency (around 60-70% capacity), and the fan will be louder.

Associate
I am going to deviate from the crowed here, your PSU is rated within typical draw of your CPU and graphics card, with enough head room to cover spikes.

Graphics 200W + CPU 110 + 50W mobo etc = 360W

The life expectancy of the PSU will be lower as it will likely run hotter, but as with all modern electronics, it will still last longer than the machine becoming hopelessly obsolete.

Don't expect output signal to be stable, as long as you don't overclock, everything should be gold.

Down side would be to expect slightly worse efficency (around 60-70% capacity), and the fan will be louder.

Lots of people saying it isn't enough without specifying why but I'm going to agree with the above. My understanding is the AM4 socket your CPU uses simply cant deliver more than 140W of power no matter what. I cant see your GPU going over 200W and that leaves you 100w left over before you hit the PSU's limit.

Even then this would only occur if you are stressing both your CPU, and GPU to the absoulte max simultaneously which is unlikely and certainly not going to the case when your PC is starting up as you mention is a problem.

I'd wager at normal desktop use your power draw is going to be in the 150w region where it probably ghoes up to 350w whilst gaming. As others have said your PSU fan might run a bit harder as it keeps itself cool but it shouldn't be causing the kinds of problems you are having.

You will certainly need a bigger PSU if you ever go for a bigger GPU drawing more power, but I just dont see it being the cause of your problems at the minute.

Back
Top Bottom