• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is 4k gaming worth the performance hit?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
All depends on the game, for the games where higher res assets aren't loaded in unless 4k+ is detected, then big difference. For the games where this is done properly then hardly notice the difference tbh. Thankfully DLDSR along with DLSS solves that issue whilst providing the best IQ and performance "overall"

You still notice it, if you sit around 2 foot away like I do a lot of the times. If you sit 4 foot away then you won't.

Like when I am using a controller I tend to sit back a bit further. But when on keyboard and mouse my eyes are about 2 foot away from the screen. I spot the difference even if the game is 10-15 years old. If I didn't I would never have felt the need to stay on 4K in 2014 when I first got it.

But yes, DLDSR is great and makes a big difference.

Caporegime
You still notice it, if you sit around 2 foot away like I do a lot of the times. If you sit 4 foot away then you won't.

Like when I am using a controller I tend to sit back a bit further. But when on keyboard and mouse my eyes are about 2 foot away from the screen. I spot the difference even if the game is 10-15 years old. If I didn't I would never have felt the need to stay on 4K in 2014 when I first got it.

But yes, DLDSR is great and makes a big difference.

Barely for me unless as you said, sit really close but I would say that is then down to the PPI and your viewing distance rather than it just purely being resolution difference e.g. some of my previous phones with <1080p screens are way sharper/clearer than any high res tv/monitor I have had :D

Associate
Yes! Been at 4K since 2013 and can't imagine ever going back. I have only ever been at native 4K or super resolution (1.5X) as I can see (even with my old eyes) the quality difference and I'm obsessed with image quality and always have been.
Can't comment on upscaling tech other than even DLSS quality has never looked as good as never mind better than native. Also I'm less than three feet away from 49inch LG OLED so I can see every detail.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a lot less pixels. Not sure how it would look sharper. But not seen that res so will take your word for it.

How many feet are you eyes from the monitor?

It's weird. I think there's some sort of sharpening filter going on. nVIDIA says it does the downsampling more efficiently, whatever that means - native is 1080p.
You can see at the gunsight of the rear gunner that the + / cross is visible with the lower res than with 4k where it goes away. Other than that, 4k has less aliasing.

Anyway, both look good to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Associate
It's your opinion of course but for me, I'd take the higher performance over a higher resolution. Even in PS5 games I always select "performance mode" instead of "quality mode"

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Barely for me unless as you said, sit really close but I would say that is then down to the PPI and your viewing distance rather than it just purely being resolution difference e.g. some of my previous phones with <1080p screens are way sharper/clearer than any high res tv/monitor I have had :D

Yep. Indeed. Ppi is a thing. Extra resolution helps. It's why I like higher resolutions.

How many feet away do you typically sit?

Caporegime
Next stop specsavers then :p

I imagined you would be 3-4 foot away like most others. At 2 foot I see the difference without any issues. Doesn't look as sharp and clear to me.

There is no doubt there is a difference but it just depends on the game like horizon forbidden west, it's very hard to tell and so wouldn't be worth the performance hit, meanwhile ghost of tsushima, hogwarts, huge difference but that's more down to them not loading in higher Res assets below 4k. What I will say is that dldsr on my aw 34 looks way better than my 4k 55.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There is no doubt there is a difference but it just depends on the game like horizon forbidden west, it's very hard to tell and so wouldn't be worth the performance hit, meanwhile ghost of tsushima, hogwarts, huge difference but that's more down to them not loading in higher Res assets below 4k. What I will say is that dldsr on my aw 34 looks way better than my 4k 55.

I could tell the difference in that too but it was small enough that I took the much higher fps. I needed a higher baseline to make use of framegen you see :p

I am hoping a RTX 5070 at 4K with DLSS Performance will be the sweet spot.

Soldato
Depends entirely on the game...

Stuff like hitman 3 and forza horizon 5, and lesser demanding games I play at 4k as I can get good smooth framerates at good in game settings.

Cyberpunk I run at 1440p though :D

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Off memory only 2 games I recall loading high res textures only at 4K even when you select ultra/highest settings in a res below 4K, Hogwarts and the other one I don't remember but it probably was unimportant enough to not remember anyway :p

As for 4K vs 1440, well outside of those rare "quirky" situations...

3440x1440 - DLAA + Frame Gen
geAOgvd.jpeg

3440x1440 - DLSS Quality + Frame Gen
VxDU11O.jpeg

5160x2160 - DLSS Performance + Frame Gen
GJU5UBR.jpeg

Full IMGsli with other scenes:

Temporally they are all super stable in motion and you can't zoom in 400% in motion anyway to pixel peep so the whole "it's just a screenshot" line doesn't fly with stuff like this.

Look at the framerates. At the upper end of the GPU scale sure, it's all trivial and you use what you think looks best, but....

... You literally have to zoom in hundreds of % to see the small differences between 1440 and 4K in one of the highest fidelity games out on PC right now using the latest in engine technology. Plus, DLSS+1440 example generally seem to retain the best overall detail with DLAA only really pulling ahead in some areas like the shadow of the net curtain in the diner where DLSS can't quite hit those shadow details, elsewhere DLSS 1440 retains a bit more detail but overall DLSS whether Quality or Performance has the better AA in other areas, notice the DLAA shots have slightly more jaggies if you zoom in about ~400% than the DLSS slides?

Also, playing with a controller on these games I've discovered that any 4K mouse latency introduction from path tracing at this sort of res is completely gone as controllers don't have this problem so just flick to 4K if desired, even use DLAA/DLSS with frame gen and simply enjoy slick visuals and performance lol.

I think I have discovered the ideal balance between what input devices to play with in certain genres of games vs the engine tech they now.

So really my finding is that the best performance is 1440 with DLSS Quality, but if you can afford the fps and potential VRAM cost of rendering at 4K with DLSS Performance, then go for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom