• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is 8GB of Vram enough for the 3070

Associate
Come to think of it... on the topic of VRAM... I remember when I was buying the 1060 back in 2016... There were a few different versions IIRC. I definitely was thinking that I should pay a bit more to get the 6GB version. It definitely paid off. Would I have run out of VRAM at some points had I gotten the 3GB version? I wonder what that was about.

Associate
Right. Look, it was you who made up a ridiculous straw man just so you could argue against it as if you're making some kind of mind-bending discovery. You said people often claim than vram is unimportant. That is a ***-tonne of BS. Give over.

Hey, you're the one who came into the thread all high and mighty, not me. But do go on, I'm sure we're all dying to see what incredible insights your mighty intellect can come up with next! :rolleyes:

Permabanned
Nope. I am getting warnings on my 2070S with existing games since I moved to a 4K (ish ) monitor. No doubt in my mind that you are limiting yourself with only 8GB.

Soldato
Side note, both the 3070 and 3080 crash with insufficient memory errors with 8K 12 bit Canon RAW files in DaVince Resolve.

the 2080ti probably does to - you need a lot of vram for 8k editing. This is pretty much what Titan cards are made for, content creation and gaming

Caporegime
All I care about at the moment is does it run the games I like now at the resolution, quality, and frame rates I desire.

If yes then it could have 1GB of VRAM for all I care.

For me the £470 3070 and £650 3080 are good cards at the FE price points as they either match a £1,200 card for 40% of the cost or beat it handily for 55% of the cost. I wouldn't necessarily expect butt loads of mostly pointless VRAM for that value proposition.

Associate
All I care about at the moment is does it run the games I like now at the resolution, quality, and frame rates I desire.

If yes then it could have 1GB of VRAM for all I care.

For me the £470 3070 and £650 3080 are good cards at the FE price points as they either match a £1,200 card for 40% of the cost or beat it handily for 55% of the cost. I wouldn't necessarily expect butt loads of mostly pointless VRAM for that value proposition.

The 3090 isn't for people who just play video games, that's the entire point of this.

Soldato
The confusion here is in the Nvidia marketing. To most the 3090 seems to be the flagship gaming card of the 3000 series.

When it reality it is a niche card catering for those with mostly professional uses with a side of gaming.

The flagship as Nvidia announced it was the 3080.

Back
Top Bottom