• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is 8GB of Vram enough for the 3070

Associate
Some games will be pushing it to keep over 60fps with high settings now less alone in 3 or 4 years times :D
and specially now we going to have the next gen consoles so games over the next few years may push gpu's much harder
oh well, i guess dlss will allow me to maintain 60fps lol

I just don't wanna go amd because with how the navi launch went i don't trust them with the drivers(i mean ill wait for reviews maybe they are good this time) , and they don't have a dlss alternative yet(RiS is not it).

Lets see, might actually have to go team red maybe, but im still learning onto the 3080 for now...

Associate
I've had a 1080 playing 4k and imo I think people are getting too emotional on the whole Vram thing... what games need and what they allocate to two totslly different things.. you'll see this come review day.. I'm telling you, I wasn't wrong on the 3080 performance numbers and I'm calling the fact the 3070 will be fine with 8gb Vram and 4k.. yes there's some games that has stuttered for me with the 8gb Vram but I can count on one hand where I have needed more than 8gb

Associate
I've had a 1080 playing 4k and imo I think people are getting too emotional on the whole Vram thing... what games need and what they allocate to two totslly different things.. you'll see this come review day.. I'm telling you, I wasn't wrong on the 3080 performance numbers and I'm calling the fact the 3070 will be fine with 8gb Vram and 4k.. yes there's some games that has stuttered for me with the 8gb Vram but I can count on one hand where I have needed more than 8gb
Yeah I have a 1080 ti playing 4k but the issue is the fps. Getting 60 is unlikely for a lot of games. AC Origins only gave me about 40 average.

Associate
Interestingly the "reviewers guide" for the 3070 was leaked from Nvidia and they explicitly warn that malloc not being the same as memory used. Although sadly they did not mention that MSI Afterburner can measure the difference

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-reviewers-guide-leaked

APPENDIX
There are a number of hardware monitoring tools and utilities that claim to report GPU Memory Usage. Note that these tools do not report actual GPU memory usage. Instead, they report memory allocation, the amount of memory requested by the application.

This number can vary for a variety of reasons, and should not be used as an indicator of the amount of GPU memory that the application is actually using. In fact, in some cases the application may request all of the GPU’s memory, whether it actually needs it or not. To illustrate this issue, we have included memory allocation logs running Tom Clancy’s The Division 2. In this example running on a GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (8GB) and RTX 2080 Ti (11GB) using the same settings (4K with the Ultra preset), the game allocates almost all of each GPU’s framebuffer:

As you can see, both GPUs are running at high frames (41 fps vs 49 fps, with both GPUs running smoothly), with the game allocating as much memory as it can, which resulted in memory consumption of 7.3 GB on the RTX 2080 Super and 10.5 GB on the RTX 2080 Ti.

Soldato
Under the benchmarks it says -

Game performance measured at 1440p, highest game settings, i9, RTX ON, is RT+DLSS

I will be interested to see what happens to that 8gb VRAM @ 4k.

Soldato
I bet it will tank in certain games for sure.

This is usually why they have these review guides. It's all best possible scenario. Hopefully Hardware Unboxed will garner the 4k performance because at £50 more than a Sexbox it's going to need to be good. Well, that said we all know that finding one of these at £500 is going to be like pulling Liz Hurley and getting a go around the back of the bike sheds.

£550 minimum I reckon, which is the price of the Sexbox and an additional PCIE drive for it.

Soldato
Because they misadvertised the number of rops and size of the l2 cache. There's no getting away from that. Why also do you think no lawsuit existed outside the US? Gee why might that be I wonder... There's a reason why no lawsuit existed at all against the 660ti when that had a similar memory arrangement, and that's because nvidia didn't misadvertise some technical details which had nothing to do with the vram, unlike their 970 cockup.

This is boring. You made a point about the card not having 4gb of VRAM. It categorically does. You're wrong. That's all there is to it. stop trying to pretend I'm defending nVidia for something, as i've said nothing of the sort.

No, they mis-sold a card and got taken to court for it, no amount of your NV spinning will change the facts. Everyone can see what you're doing dude, give it up. The lawsuit by itself proves I'm right. But if you want to keep making a fool of yourself defending the indefensible, go right ahead.

It looks like you've already blown any credibility you might have had...

Soldato
Hard to believe there's anyone defending NV over the 970 debacle, let alone in 2020. Truly a first for me to witness, but at least it makes it clear who's discussing these issues in good faith or not.

You know how it goes on here, NV (the religion) is a pure as the cold driven snow to some...even when they lie about their product and get taken to court for it and have to settle that lawsuit and pay compensation...still somehow NV didn't do anything wrong...

:D

Caporegime
You know how it goes on here, NV (the religion) is a pure as the cold driven snow to some...even when they lie about their product and get taken to court for it and have to settle that lawsuit and pay compensation...still somehow NV didn't do anything wrong...

I think (honestly) that if that were to happen today, people would instead be falling over themselves to justify it, and let nVidia off the hook.

It seems we've become conditioned in the last few years to obey our corporate overlords without question. That's certainly the impression I get lately.

You see it both in the nV and AMD threads. Lots of people who just refuse to acknowledge that either company has ever done anything remotely anti-consumer. And even people saying they think their vendor of choice should charge more for their products... strange times indeed.

Soldato
No, they mis-sold a card and got taken to court for it, no amount of your NV spinning will change the facts. Everyone can see what you're doing dude, give it up. The lawsuit by itself proves I'm right. But if you want to keep making a fool of yourself defending the indefensible, go right ahead.

It looks like you've already blown any credibility you might have had...

Listen to yourself. Telling me i'm wrong then saying the same thing yourself.

me: they mis-advertised the number of rops and size of the l2 cache.
you: No, they mis-sold a card and got taken to court for it

So..i'm wrong, but your right even though you corrected me and said the same thing? so I'm wrong and im right? Or am i wrong because you want me to be and that's all you've got? You're so invested in arguing against me that you cant see the wood for the trees. I've even said there's no defence for the misadvertising or the way nVidia handles the fall out and you still try and paint me as some sort of rabid fanboy?

I hate to break it to you, but the type of person you try to infer i am, is the sort of person who will cherry pick parts of a post, and conveniently ignore others, in order to make up an argument or statement that was never made in order to try and dismiss it to bolster their own 'credibility'. This may or may not be a shock to you, but that person is you.

let's look shall we?

says the same as me - check
tells me im wrong - check
'corrects' me whilst simultaneously agreeing with me (and not realising) - check
ignores me multiple times stating that nvidia were indefensible - check
tells me im defending nvidia - check

me:"NVIDIA GOT WHAT THEY DESERVED"
you:"But if you want to keep making a fool of yourself defending the indefensible, go right ahead"

Like i said, same old story. the people 'spinning lies' are the people claiming the card never had 4gb of VRAM. Again, people like you. I would suggest you learn to read at the very least before replying further to my posts. if you can't show at least an ounce of intelligence then i'm not even going to bother replying. Nobody's interested.

How unbelievable dense does somebody have to be to come to that conclusion about what i've said? So sad. Grow up.

foxeye said:
You see it both in the nV and AMD threads. Lots of people who just refuse to acknowledge that either company has ever done anything remotely anti-consumer. And even people saying they think their vendor of choice should charge more for their products... strange times indeed.

Who's doing that then, Fox?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Im currently using a 2070S with dual screen, 3440x1440 and 2560x1080 and as yet I havent seen it use more than 3Gb. I am sure there are games out there that use more but I'm, obviously not playing them!

Soldato
Tell me this, if the 3070 is terrible value then what the hell is the alternative?

Lets go with what is available on OCUK at the moment:

• 2080ti £1200
  • 2080 super / Gigabyte & Asus both £799
  • cheapest 2070 super is £449 from Palit (1 in stock)
  • Most expensive 2070 super is £659.99 from Asus for the ROG Strix
  • 2060 Super between £360-£400 for the cheapest cards
  • 2070 standard (not available)
  • 2060 standard £290
Now I realise this is a big "IF" but if you manage to get the 3070 at MSRP then for £470 you have a GFX card possibly hitting similar numbers to a 2080ti that is still going for £1200 new.

Sure there might be some deals on 2nd hand cards at £550 / £600 < These are the prices I am seeing in the local area but you have no guarantee of the quality of the card and how well looked after it has been. You might not even have any Warranty to fall back on.

Associate

People should listen to this man.

Back
Top Bottom