Is car write off?

Associate
Hi I was involved in an accident yesterday, just wondering if anyone can shed some light. Its the first time this has happened, I have sent photos to FMG (approved repairer) and they will check. But i am a bit anxious and thought I would ask people who are more experienced such as here.

The car has been pushed towards the passenger side. Bonnet is stuck does not open. Bottom tray is hanging down and scrapes the floor. But it does drive.

Do you think the car is a write off? I have only had it 2 weeks, it was 9k with 46k mileage

The pictures are below.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is the bonnet still straight? The hinges might be bent.

The tray and bumper is probably just some broken clips.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is the bonnet still straight? The hinges might be bent.

The tray and bumper is probably just some broken clips.
Did you even look at the pictures???
At the very least it’ll need a bonnet, front bumper assy and a wing.
Op, you’ll have to wait for an assessor to come out, price it, then let your insurance company make a decision.

Associate
OP
The bonnet is bent from the drivers headlight and has been pushed over the wing on passenger side. It also does not open anymore (looks like the catch inside is bent)

Soldato
Looks like the pedestrian impact protection has activated to my eyes. I've only properly looked at a couple of photo's though as they are loading at dial up pace.

Soldato
I had a car stolen that had less damage than that, and the insurers wrote it off.

To add insult to injury, the chap that later bought the 'total write off' rolled up to my house a few months later, looking for the spare wheel!?!

Even told me his nice it drove!

Grrrrr

Soldato
Do you think the car is a write off? I have only had it 2 weeks, it was 9k with 46k mileage
I would say unlikely to be a write off, because it looks like just bodywork repair. A new bonnet and side panel may be required, but fundamentally the car is probably structurally sound, i.e. no chassis damage. It looks like it was a low speed accident, was it?

Soldato
If it needs a wing bonnet and bumper, it's going to get written off, repairing cars is a thing of the past, especially as getting hold of the parts and wait times is through the roof

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys. In terms of speed, I was going straight at a roundabout, I was probably 5/7 mph. A car came speeding through the middle of the mini roundabout from my front right and hit me, he was probably doing 20/25. Not insured, says he has traders, although ill leave that for the insurance to sort. Bradford for you.

Associate
OP
That and the extortionate cost of a hire car whilst it’s repaired.
FMG will apparently provide me a courtesy. But they are looking for their people to inspect the pictures and see if it is economically viable, if so send quote to insurance and see what they have to say

Soldato
Thanks for the replies guys. In terms of speed, I was going straight at a roundabout, I was probably 5/7 mph. A car came speeding through the middle of the mini roundabout from my front right and hit me, he was probably doing 20/25. Not insured, says he has traders, although ill leave that for the insurance to sort. Bradford for you.
Are you hoping you will get a no fault claim on this or are you expecting to have to take liability? (or possibly the worse one from the customers pov, 50:50 as i expect insurance will just treat both people as having an at fault claim then,

my car was written off with less damage however i bought it back off the insurance company for peanuts and it went back on the road with some parts from the scrapyard.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks guys they are now saying it is a write off, offering £100 less than what I paid a few weeks ago, which is fair. Do you think it would be wise to buy it back off them and get it repaired?

Man of Honour
Surprised they wrote it off. Mine had similar last year and was repaired.

Claim cost was £4k last June and it got part exd for £5k this February.

Now that I've written those figures out I'm more surprised mine wasn't written off :cry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom