Is East London a dangerous place to live?

Associate
On Saturday, my wife and I and my child went to East London, Newham to do a little shopping and break our fast.
We were there for nearly 3 hours from 3.30pm. Here are the series of events in that time.
1. As we exited the market area 4 youths were fleeing from a bakery called G____ holding numerous baguettes and drinks.
2. I was nearly hit by a vehicle that veered at speed into the wrong side of the road.
3. An e-scooter came onto the pavement and brushed me. I shouted at the youth, "you *** if you feel you must swear, you should fully star it out, not just partially ***” The Asian youth approached me and started swearing. When I became aggressive he moved away and joined a group of youths. I walked away hastily.
4. We passed a jewellery store which had lots of white smoke emerging from the open door. Shoppers were running out. I think a smoke bomb may have been used.
5. I was ordering food from a fast food store called k__. My wife was sitting upstairs waiting for me. When I came upstairs my wife informed me that two men tried to take someone's handbag.
Is this typical or was I just unlucky?

Last edited by a moderator:
Commissario
I shouted at the youth, "you ******* ******”
That was nice of you.

The Asian youth approached me and started swearing. When I became aggressive he moved away and joined a group of youths.

Just getting this clear. You shouted abuse at him, he swore at you, you became aggressive.

Sounds like you were escalating the situation.

How's your boxing stance?

TtWMit1.jpeg

Associate
There are some less than nice areas of London, i'd imagine East London would have a higher share of them. That said you seem to have had one hell of an experience.

Man of Honour
Certain things have got worse since I last lived in south east/east London - very rarely had groups of youths hitting stores shoplifting or as much brazen anti-social or illegal behaviour in broad daylight though that is on the rise generally.

Man of Honour
East London is a mix of some of the roughest areas in London, and some overpriced new builds with nice restaurants and cafes. As long as you can make it from the station to your house in one piece it’s good fun.

Back
Top Bottom