• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it 1 FE graphics card per year (per household), or 1 per Nvidia graphics card generation?

Associate
My friend bought a 3080 msi suprim x on pre order from there, still was able to buy a 3060ti FE on the last drop.

I'm pretty sure I could use my neighbours WiFi and address for delivery with a different payment method / monzo virtual online card if I wanted to get another card on the next drop.

I do not think they allow the monzo virtual online card for payment.

Soldato
Yes they are basically talking about the retailer that sells the FE models and AIB cards too. Basically that retailer only allows one 3000 series nvidia card FE or AIB.
Gotcha, yeh makes sense.

Personally I have had more than one card but, yes from different retailers.
I did passed the cards on however - one on the MM, the other to my bro.

Soldato
OP
It's pointless blaming people with chunky wallets for buying high end GPUs, Nvidia and AMD were unable to secure sufficient manufacturing capacity from Samsung and TSMC foundries, in addition to global materials shortages.

Whatever AMD/Nvidia may say, a graphics card shortage is actually quite a desirable thing from their point of view, as long as demand from consumers remains high. I'd imagine there's a sweet spot profitability wise, so producing a certain percentage more would probably benefit both companies to some extent, especially AMD, who I assume aspire to gain a larger share of the graphics card market.

Both companies can be blamed for choosing not to produce (a lot) more reference models, they aren't and have never been, on the side of consumers. Some may defend this, but they ultimately set the prices for reference models, if they need to increase their profit margins. Reference model prices were supposed to be a benchmark for third party manufacturers to aim for, but when AIBs are charging double the reference model price in some cases, I'd say it's not working.

Neither company has allowed pre-orders for reference models, in my view, this is the minimum they could have done, as a gesture of good will toward customers. I'm told this is something Nvidia did for the RTX 2000 series and below, so I think Nvidia realised they didn't 'need' to do this anymore and became even greedier.

Last edited:
Soldato
One per generation I can't see how they can limit it to one per lifetime that'd be crazy...

Still does not change the fact they have sent me 3 aibs though

how do I add a photo Ill show my account for the last 2 aibs if you dont believe me, 1 was a zotac 3060ti and a asus dual mini 3060ti

FE cards are limited because they're sold at cost or at least minimal (for nividia) profit margins - they don't want to limit sales of AIB's because thats where they're raking it in and only sell chips to AIB's - much less manufacturing etc overheads

Associate
One per generation I can't see how they can limit it to one per lifetime that'd be crazy...

FE cards are limited because they're sold at cost or at least minimal (for nividia) profit margins - they don't want to limit sales of AIB's because thats where they're raking it in and only sell chips to AIB's - much less manufacturing etc overheads

I paid £20 over rrp for one card and £40 for the other, cant see them raking it in unless they selling others for silly prices, didnt check tbh

Associate
The fe competitor is definitely one fe card per person/house/card/ip. It’s meant to be one 3000 series but I’ve seen multiple people get more then one aib delivered so not sure they are that bothered about that since the prices are higher.

Associate
The fe competitor is definitely one fe card per person/house/card/ip. It’s meant to be one 3000 series but I’ve seen multiple people get more then one aib delivered so not sure they are that bothered about that since the prices are higher.

higher being the word or a lot higher sounds better.

Soldato
I can understand the limits on everything up to and including the 3080, but the 3080Ti & 3090 cards always hang around long enough, especially the 3090, for them to be unrestricted sales, IMO.

Associate
I can understand the limits on everything up to and including the 3080, but the 3080Ti & 3090 cards always hang around long enough, especially the 3090, for them to be unrestricted sales, IMO.

Problem is that you remove the limit and all those miners will start grabbing these cards too.. So happy for the limit to stay if you ask me..

Soldato
OP
I think it depends on if Ethereum mining comes to and end or not (when Ethereum changes to using the proof-of-stake system), hopefully in early 2022.

There is also a plan to increase Ethereum mining difficulty in December 2021, known as EIP-3554, which may make it unprofitable to mine Eth from this point on.

Ultimately, it's down to Nvidia to produce more reference model cards, in some ways it's a problem of their own making. If we assume FE cards are about 1% of available Nvidia gfx cards, they could boost production of these by 10 times.

Or, they could just cancel reference models altogether, to maximise profit.

I think the problem is, the price of reference models has come down by about 100% compared to models of the last gen, such as the RTX 2080 TI FE. A card with equivalent performance (RTX 3070) now 'only' has a reference model price of £470. This means there's no particular incentive for Nvidia to produce more Ampere reference models, at least, not without increasing prices.

The only reason reference models exist, is to attempt to provide a degree of sanity to the graphics card market prices, but it's an illusion really, especially for low volume cards like the RTX 3080 and almost non existent RTX 3070 TI.

Last edited:
Soldato
Problem is that you remove the limit and all those miners will start grabbing these cards too.. So happy for the limit to stay if you ask me..

Yeah, but the 3080Ti & 3090's sell in such small (relative) quantities that the price on them won't affect the lower tier cards in terms of price/availability

Back
Top Bottom