Is it a bad time to upgrade?

Associate
OP
As you game at 1440p you will not be able to tell the difference between using a 10400f upwards to say a 10700f with the naked eye, so intel or AMD doesn't really matter. Some people swear by intel saying that their systems are more stable. At the moment AMD has support for pcie 4 which doesn't make much difference on the gpu or nvme for gaming. A 10400f etc will make a cheap upgrade and the money saved can go towards a new gpu at a later date. The 10700f while more expensive will be more future proof and work better for video editing. Horses for courses. Either way the intel 10th gen is currently at a keen price and you can sleep well knowing that you haven't spent well above rsp

https://youtu.be/PSxuiWih_Z8?t=270

Okay thanks. I will make a decision in the next few days. The rsp thing was for the gpu by the way. All the cpu's in my eyes seem to be reasonably priced.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk
A cheaper alternative from AMD.

6 core CPU, good bang for buck with good multi-tasking and good gaming performance. 16 Gig of DDR4 at 3200 MHz, ATX motherboard with good reviews.

Note, two less cores, no wi-fi, RAM speed 400 MHz less and half of popular amount for PC (32 Gigabytes). £300.00 cheaper....Allows an upgrade to 16 core CPU later if you wish....5950X.

As above that rsp comment was about the gpu. The cpu range is totally fine in my eyes, in the original post I just wanted to double check that the rest of the hardware isn't facing the same issues in terms of price hiking which was answered in a later post. I would rather buy the best available than go for the cost effective option providing they aren't silly numbers £2000 vs £500 for example.

Your original posted spec still seems like the best option. I will take a look at eome of the above recommended cpu's on websites today, then make a decision. Honestly can't be bothered waiting for DDR5 options which will arrive at some point next year from the looks of things so I have a strong feeling I will end up buying in the next few days as opposed to waiting around for a year or two praying my PC doesn't give in from old age.

Thanks for all the advice everybody. Couldn't quote everybody but I definitely read each and everyone of your messages.

Associate
OP

That mobo is still out of stock are there any others?

I think I'll also get a new cooler too. Air or water is fine. Did a little digging and many seem to recommend the Arctic Liquid Freezer II, Noctua NH-D15 and the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. I take it these options would fit in the above case? and would they still work if I had a change of heart and went for a 5900x. I hate having to ask but I'm useless when it comes to these things.

Then there's the question of the SSD. My current setup is a Samsung Evo 840 256gb for Windows 10, Samsung Evo 850 500gb, Samsung Evo 850 1TB then two 1TB HDD's. if I bought one of these even quicker NVME drives what would it best be used for? My Stepdad needs a SSD so I can give him one of mine if I get a faster one.

Once I have everything set I will purchase. I was going to wait a few weeks and see what Intel had to offer with these Rocket Lake chips but nobody seems to be optimistic about the 11th gen chip so I've decided AMD it is.

Associate
That mobo is still out of stock are there any others?

I think I'll also get a new cooler too. Air or water is fine. Did a little digging and many seem to recommend the Arctic Liquid Freezer II, Noctua NH-D15 and the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. I take it these options would fit in the above case? and would they still work if I had a change of heart and went for a 5900x. I hate having to ask but I'm useless when it comes to these things.

Then there's the question of the SSD. My current setup is a Samsung Evo 840 256gb for Windows 10, Samsung Evo 850 500gb, Samsung Evo 850 1TB then two 1TB HDD's. if I bought one of these even quicker NVME drives what would it best be used for? My Stepdad needs a SSD so I can give him one of mine if I get a faster one.

Once I have everything set I will purchase. I was going to wait a few weeks and see what Intel had to offer with these Rocket Lake chips but nobody seems to be optimistic about the 11th gen chip so I've decided AMD it is.

Sorry been at work all day. I use this cooler and it works up to 180 TDP, it is silent, AIO, tend to have noisy pumps and less reliable. The AMD 5800X is 105 TDP, so well within the coolers range.

To be honest X570 chipsets will mainly work the same with some exceptions, the Gigabyte is well reviewed but has no wi-fi. Its looks good though. My Asus Strix B550-E motherboard cost the same!

NVME drive is fastest, so put operating system on it (Windows 10). Or if you do video edits that too.

Re Rocket Lake. Early review from Anandtech was not good. However, it is an early bios review and early silicon.
Lets put it like this, Intel 14nm, AMD 7nm, Intel draws higher voltage, AMD less voltage, AMD 5800X out and positive reviews, 11700K unreleased, new platform with bugs.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £264.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry been at work all day. I use this cooler and it works up to 180 TDP, it is silent, AIO, tend to have noisy pumps and less reliable. The AMD 5800X is 105 TDP, so well within the coolers range.

To be honest X570 chipsets will mainly work the same with some exceptions, the Gigabyte is well reviewed but has no wi-fi. Its looks good though. My Asus Strix B550-E motherboard cost the same!

NVME drive is fastest, so put operating system on it (Windows 10). Or if you do video edits that too.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £264.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

No worries and thanks for responding. I was actually taking a deep look at the MSI Mag Tomahawk mobo earlier on but that too was out of stock. I will get the Gigabyte one you recommended.

That fan cooler you recommended will it have the same effect as the higher priced ones Noctua NH-D15 and the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4?

Yeah, I will get that NVME drive too. I was always led to believe high storage SSD's were wasted as the windows drive though. That 256gb drive has only ever had Windows 10 on it. The other SSD's were used for lots of games, recordings, rendering, program files etc.

Once again thanks for all the help.

Associate
I would say wait a couple of months before upgrading - prices are fairly high due to the current situation, stock shortages etc. Mem prices fairly high, gfx cards unobtainable.

I remember selling a customer of mine an MSI Ventus 2070 Super (sounded like a hairdrier in the corner of the room with only it's two fans desperately trying to cool it). £450 last summer, brand new. Now you could get £600+ second hand! Crazy.

Last edited:
Associate
No worries and thanks for responding. I was actually taking a deep look at the MSI Mag Tomahawk mobo earlier on but that too was out of stock. I will get the Gigabyte one you recommended.

That fan cooler you recommended will it have the same effect as the higher priced ones Noctua NH-D15 and the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4?

Yeah, I will get that NVME drive too. I was always led to believe high storage SSD's were wasted as the windows drive though. That 256gb drive has only ever had Windows 10 on it. The other SSD's were used for lots of games, recordings, rendering, program files etc.

Once again thanks for all the help.

The CPU cooler is good because the RAM is given clearance, and the fan is almost silent. Plus it looks good. I own it. It was easy to install and cools the CPU. If you buy tall RAM many coolers cover the first slot for RAM. Plus if you buy RGB, that is not a good look. AIO coolers, look great, but cost more and are a possible way to fail and shut the CPU down when they do. Plus the gunk they stick in the AIO coolers may lose effectiveness, oh and you have to mount the AIO Pump in a certain way. Or the pumps fail....

In fact installed two of them. Look up reviews on the Tube...Dark Rock Slim, the fan on its own costs £20.99 to buy here.

Will it be the best cooler? Not always, depends what you value, RAM clearance and quiet operation are benefits, and good cooling. Plus the build quality was excellent on the two I bought. There are cheaper ones.

Associate
Yeah prices for some items seem to have gone sky high and lots of things have gone out of stick due to the current situation, it's the way of the world at the minute for so many different products at the minute. If you can hold off upgrading for a few months then I would.

Back
Top Bottom