Is it time to ban LED Headlights

Soldato
Wonder what people's thoughts are on this article:

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/colum...hn-simister-why-led-headlights-are-dangerous/

John Simister: Why LED headlights are dangerous

Headlights. Have those on new cars become too bright? They have, according to the RAC's research which reveals that 65 per cent of motorists have been dazzled by the latest-technology headlights even when they are dipped.

The increased brightness has come about through the use first of high-intensity gas-discharge bulbs (HIDs), which arrived around 20 years ago, and now through LEDs which are what has tipped headlight brightness over the edge. With a regular tungsten bulb, including the usual modern quartz-glass version filled with a halogen gas which allows a brighter filament without burning out, limits are set by stipulating a maximum wattage. But the new technologies use much less power, so they can be much brighter while still offering energy savings and appearing to meet the rules.

That sounds like a win-win, but it's anything but if you're being dazzled by a new-tech LED array. Which is why the UN Economic Commission for Europe is looking at ways of limiting the new lights' brightness and dazzle potential, armed with proposals from UK governmental research.

This will be good news for all, including – perhaps paradoxically – those who drive the new cars. You might assume that brighter is better from behind the wheel, but it isn't necessarily so. Recently I was driving a new Range Rover Velar at night, with LED headlights bright enough to disturb sleep patterns in the next county, but beyond the intensely-illuminated, and unusually broad, beam pattern I could see hardly a thing. It had the sharp upper cut-off usual in a dipped beam of the post-1960s era, which meant the contrast between what was lit and what was not was huge. My eyes simply couldn't decipher what lay beyond the blaze.

So it is that driving my Stiletto (four Cibié halogen headlights, recent of manufacture but not in design) or my Saab 96 (Wipac Quadoptic halogens) at night is actually easier. The contrast is gentler and the cut-off isn't quite so sharp, allowing a little light scatter to fall on shapes beyond the beam pattern without actually dazzling anyone, so you can sense better what's around you. You really don't need lights any brighter or cleverer than this, even in a properly fast car.

And then there's that other major problem with the latest high-dazzle headlights. They tend to be fitted to tall SUVs, because that's what people think they need to buy nowadays. So when an SUV is closely following what I still think of as a normal car, which means one of relatively low height as most classics are, that normal car's interior mirror can seem as though it's about to melt. It's dangerous and intimidating for its driver, and rude on the part of the dazzler as I felt all too keenly when driving that Velar. There's a minimum-height requirement for headlights already, but there should be a maximum-height one too.

Fifty years ago, when the new-fangled 'quartz-halogen' bulbs appeared, a few people thought that they, too, were unnecessarily bright. But opprobrium was much less vehement than it is for today's latest headlights, because the problem was much less severe. That people complained at all was really only because the new halogens, combined with the 'continental' cut-off at the top of the dipped beam and the upward kick of the pattern towards the kerb, were so different to drive behind from the warm, fuzzy light-pools of the Lucas 'sealed-beam' headlights that most Brits were used to.

That said, if they are aimed correctly and are fed with the full complement of volts undimmed by ageing wiring and corroded connections, even those sealed-beam headlights (in which the entire unit is one big bulb) aren't as hopeless as you might think, especially if your car has four of them. They're a bit short on beam width and main-beam range, but it's by no means essential to bin them as some classic-car owners seem to think. The main reason for doing so is when they fail, because decent new ones are hard to find.

If you do fit new halogen headlights, please don't fit the very cheap ones (mentioning no names) because you'll find they are no better, and may well be worse, than what you had before. Lens and reflector design counts for a lot. And whatever headlights you use, it's well worth wiring them through relays so the considerable current they require is fed directly from a robust power source rather than via the hard-worked, overloaded light switch. You might be surprised at how much brighter your headlights become.

Finally, on headlight matters, please don't be tempted by the various aftermarket HID (and now LED) conversions available for headlamps intended for halogen bulbs. They will dazzle, because the light source is in the wrong place relative to the reflector, and they are illegal for road use.

Some favour LED bulbs for other functions, such as sidelights, tail lights, brake lights and indicators, but strictly speaking they are illegal in cars young enough to have E-marked light lenses, which means 1970s and later, unless the car was designed to have them. Also, the instant change from unlit to fully bright looks wrong and harsh on a classic, in which you expect a more gradual rise and fall in intensity. That said, it's a nicety perhaps worth sacrificing if it means that a following driver can react to your braking more quickly.

Dear me… will I be advocating high-level brake lights for classics next? My heart says no. My head is undecided.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I'm pretty sure they just need to make them smarter, because right now and tom dick and harry can adjust them so they blind you, make it so they self adjust and won't be as much of an issue.

Reactions: ~cw
Soldato
As a night trucker I can tell you that YES they do dazzle.

And as for that stupid Auto Dip crap effort.. Is it really wise to blind the driver of a 44 tonne vehicle driving directly towards you ?
I can see your headlights before I round the bend and dip so I DEMAND likewise. No I don't give a dead rats arse if you have Auto Dip as it aint working fast enough !

[/Rant]

Soldato
Auto dip is pretty rubbish tbh. There is to much of a delay and it won't dip the beams preemptively like a human will. Just shining it directly at someone, even for a split second is enough to dazzle them in the dark.

Quite a lot of new cars seem to have badly adjusted headlights as well. They should start MOTing them after they are registered I think. Just because it's brand new doesn't mean everything is right :/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Auto dip being far too slow to be useful is definitely the biggest issue I find, apart from that it's generally normal halogen bulbs pointing skyward that annoy me more.

Caporegime
you want to ban something that is more efficient and lasts longer?

that isn't the answer. the answer is proper regulation on the amount of light permitted, angle, distance, etc. height of the light seems a good one too but it would make all taller cars look stupid akin to fog lights being on as they would be part of the bottom bumper on SUV's

Caporegime
Auto dip, just like every other auto function in a car, is breeding a generation too thick to have any comprehension of their effect on other road users. I see it all the time, people driving around at night with no lights on, with ALL THE LIGHTS on, etc. They have zero clue what any of the lights on their dashboard mean amd unless the car does all the switching for them, probably have no clue what all the stalks / buttons / switches do either. Just yesterday I had some dumb bint driving behind me with these insta-suns turned all the way up to 11 and no amount of gesturing gave her any idea that she was blinding everyone around her. Eventually I got out the car at a red and tapped on her window and politely (yes, I can be polite (she was hot, ok) that her lights were on max and she had no clue what I was on about until I explained it).

Cars either need to be 100% automated or nothing. These mix'n'match sometimes auto sometimes not this trim is auto this one isn't rubbish is only creating people that are too dim to know that their cars are blinding people.

Does my head in.

Soldato
Out of all the cars I see on the road with DRL, Ford are the worst. Stupidly bright compared to all over manufacturers.

I noticed the DRLs actually turn off on my Toyota once it gets so dark. They will only act as (dimmer) sidelights after a point.

Soldato
They do need to do something around the regulation, I've met a Range Rover coming the other way with what I expect had the laser headlight option and the adaptive headlights took a split second to dip them I was totally blinded. It was ridiculous how bright they were never seen anything like it.

Soldato
I find they make front indicators more difficult to see, day and night, and also find that I can usually see my own car's shadow when i'm driving and being followed by LED lights - it's not great that the area lit up by my headlights (non-LED) is dimmer than the area around it!

Soldato
Another trend I have noticed is manufacturers dropping the auto leveling and/or headlight wash with LED headlights, new Mini hatch has LED headlights as standard with neither and are super bright.

Soldato
What’s more dangerous is the idiots with Drl’s not putting all there full lights on when it gets dark. Now it’s getting dark earlier I’m seeing new cars on a daily basis driving along with no rear lights on whatsoever just there sparkly led’s on the front but nothing at the back. There was some bint yesterday driving on the motorway in a black 4x4 in complete darkness you could barely see her and there must have been a handful of cars all flashing her but she obviously thought she had her lights on because of the little led’s on at the front :mad:

Soldato
Ban? No, I don’t see the point in outright banning. But copy paste what I said previously on the subject:

I'm more concerned about the 1,000,000 Lumen 5000K+ LED dipped headlights. Bright white dipped headlights impairs your vision drastically outside of the sharp LED cut-off and for other drivers. I would love to see a max Lumen regulation applied for dipped and max kelvin rating set at 4000K or there abouts.

Reactions: ~cw
Back
Top Bottom