Is my network speed right, or is there something wrong?

Don
Buy one of these..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ45-CAT6...589436?hash=item4ae078bebc:g:kJEAAOSwuMFUb4n6

Only run it on NON powered cables.

IE, from the network cable to the other side of the network cable, don't connect it up to a switch or PC/NAS etc.

Try it on a single cable in your hands first to see how it works. Basically, each light from 1-8 should light up on both ends if it's working correctly. Should light up in that sequence.

It's the most basic network tester you can get. Better ones are over £100.

Associate
OP
ok, the network tester lights up on channels 1, 2, 3 and 6 only.

I've looked at how they've terminated the cables that go into the first switch, and it does appear they only connected up 4 wires.

I next opened a faceplate, and all 8 wires have been terminated. So it seems the person who put the plugs on the end of the network cables to go into my switch (my internet service provider) was lazy, and the people who actually put the network cables into the walls and connected them to the faceplates (the decoration company) did their job properly. The cables themselves all have 8 wires, so it looks like all I need to do is to rewire the plugs somehow.

IMG_3503_zps9pumhlmt.jpg

IMG_3506_zps8oxlg6tx.jpg

IMG_3507_zpsed9qjpq5.jpg

IMG_3509_zps7gnlyh4l.jpg

Associate
The termination at the wall barely meets spec too so that's unlikely to be helping. Reterminating both ends should help or at least give you piece of mind.

Associate
In our shanghai office, the network team we hired to wire the office, did that, the would use 1 cable and split it so that it did 2 ports making the connection 10mb... we was pretty angry and mythed as they supplied 1GB switched and 10GB backbone.

Don
The faceplates all seem to be ok, if so far as they have connected all 8 wires. So I guess I just need to buy some ends and some kind of crimping tool?

Yep - Just some RJ45 connectors and an RJ45 crimping tool.

I would question the faceplates though, as there should not be that much of the individual twisted pairs unsheathed - normally no more than 1 inch of outer jacket removed for RJ45 connectors, and maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches for faceplates.

Associate
Yep - Just some RJ45 connectors and an RJ45 crimping tool.

I would question the faceplates though, as there should not be that much of the individual twisted pairs unsheathed - normally no more than 1 inch of outer jacket removed for RJ45 connectors, and maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches for faceplates.

It's not based on RJ45 (the plug), it's based on the cable. Category 6 is no more than 13mm.

Back
Top Bottom