Is the Index worth the wait?

Associate
Mine is something similar and I have no problems. How the headset fits on you makes a massive difference.

But, it does give you another reason to get the Quest.

thanks, makes buying a rift more positive should i get one, will see what comes available next i guess, im sure weather its the rift or quest ill be impressed as never owned one, so should be win win

Soldato
thanks, makes buying a rift more positive should i get one, will see what comes available next i guess, im sure weather its the rift or quest ill be impressed as never owned one, so should be win win

Either way you will be happy. And I think you have the right attitude. Buy the first one that comes available!!!

Soldato
Its like with the Quest its said to be front heavy but I dont feel that at all. Maybe its because I have a stronger neck ? I think the Quest is pretty good and Virtual Desktop is brilliant but I've never had another decent VR helmet to compare it against. Maybe if I tried one of the others I would think differently but wireless is a big plus for me I hate being tethered.

I've had a quest for a week and spent hours in it, I'm also not understanding all the issues with comfort?

Early on before I bought it I saw a video about how many people don't wear it properly. I wonder how many have bought extras and add-ons but never actually had the strap correct in the first place.

Soldato
Yes, a lot of people wear the headset incorrectly.It's the same with the Quest, The Rift and Rift S, people don't realise that the back strap should be as low down on the back of your head as possible.

But, even when wearing it correctly, most people find the Quest uncomfortable. It's not balanced properly. Just be glad @MookJong that you aren't one of those people.

Soldato
I've now managed to get my Quest pretty comfortable. This is a combination of an AMVR facial interface (which loses a small amount of FOV unfortunately), a home made rear cushion / battery pack combo as a counterweight, and a Kiwi design top strap (which seems to have made a huge difference - I can even wear it now without a counterweight if necessary).

I also have some AMVR knuckle style grips but I don't use them much.

The trouble is the cost of these addons mount up. The Index, though expensive, and heavy, was comfortable from the get-go, though I have now installed the rear gel cushion as that's even softer on the back of my head.

Associate
Honestly, I don't get the hype about the Index. The FOV is hardly even noticeably larger than 1st gen headsets, the resolution isn't anything that impressive, loss of contrast and blacks with LCD panels, and the lenses aren't that good. I returned mine.

Honestly the only noticeable improvement for me of the Index over the Vive Pro is the audio. But it still wasn't good enough for me to want to forgo high end in-ear monitors.

IMO; wait for the Reverb 2.0.

Soldato
Honestly, I don't get the hype about the Index. The FOV is hardly even noticeably larger than 1st gen headsets, the resolution isn't anything that impressive, loss of contrast and blacks with LCD panels, and the lenses aren't that good. I returned mine.

Honestly the only noticeable improvement for me of the Index over the Vive Pro is the audio. But it still wasn't good enough for me to want to forgo high end in-ear monitors.

IMO; wait for the Reverb 2.0.

I can see what you're saying, and I don't disagree in some respects, but I've been playing Elite on the Index recently and the step up from the Rift CV1 is huge, SDE almost non-existent, and wider FOV with clarity across the lenses so I don't have to move my head to read everything.

I just wish my GPU was faster as I struggle to make use of the higher resolution and frame rate (I have a superclocked 1080ti!).

I do miss the Oclulus environment though, as it's far more polished and intuitive than Steam VR, and the frame interpolation for demanding games works way better.

Associate
make use of the higher resolution and frame rate (I have a superclocked 1080ti!)

urgh! i'm getting the 2070 super and i know that they are sort of eqivilent, so i'm probably going to suffer.

I was hoping to use the 2070 as a stop gap until the 3xxx gpus are out.

by the way @Ravenger did Valve take your money as soon as you hit the buy button?

Soldato
urgh! i'm getting the 2070 super and i know that they are sort of eqivilent, so i'm probably going to suffer.

I was hoping to use the 2070 as a stop gap until the 3xxx gpus are out.

by the way @Ravenger did Valve take your money as soon as you hit the buy button?

A 2070 super is a great card for the Index. Should run most things really well. No card can currrently max out all VR games on the Index, not even the 2080ti.

I bought my Index during the March batch, and I think I got charged immediately because it was there available immediately (when I could get them to accept payment that is, because their payment system broke).

Currently if you buy an Index you're really just reserving your place in the queue, and payment is not taken at that stage. You get an email when the Index is in stock asking to confirm payment and delivery details, and that's when payment is taken.

Soldato
BTW, I'm really enjoying my Index for playing Elite. It's transformed the game being able to run at a higher resolution and clarity. I can now read the text easily, and stations are no longer a mess of aliasing pixels. I can identify ships visually from a much longer range. The black levels aren't an issue as the cockpit lighting provides an adequate contrast. One of the biggest gains is the FOV, especially vertical. It makes a huge difference when navigating around stations and tracking enemies.

It is more demanding to run on the Index though, and even with the 1080ti the headset is reprojecting near and in stations almost constantly. However running at 120hz then having it reproject to 60 when necessary seems to work much better than running at 90hz and have it reproject to 45, or even running at 80hz. I also have had to dial back the Index back to 100% screen resolution rather than the default 150, so I still get some aliasing and flickering.

Soldato
what's re-projecting mean?

It's when the headset can't keep up a fast enough frame rate, so it repeats frames. It means it keeps the high refresh but you can get blurring with fast movment. This isn't an issue really around stations in Elite as you generally move pretty slowly. It's separate from motion smoothing (or the Oculus equivalent Asynchronous Timewarp) which interpolates or 'fabricates' frames when the framerate gets too low. This can lead to visual artifacts, which look pretty bad, though the Oculus version is actually much better than the Steam VR version and works pretty well.

Soldato
i've put my order in for an Index today.

You won't regret it. I've just gone back to my Quest to try out PC games via the Link cable and also try the new version of Virtual Desktop for wireless streaming, and the drop in sharpness, smoothness and FOV is stark compared to the Index.

It's like going back to a 60hz 720p monitor when you're used to gaming at 1440p 144hz.

Hope you don't have to wait too long.

Back
Top Bottom