Is the Index worth the wait?

Associate
Got mine the other day, after the dispatch notification I didn't get any more updates until it just randomly turned up.

I haven't tried any other VR headsets, so I don't have anything to compare it to but so far it has been awesome.

I do have a slight issue with it, I can update the controllers and base stations but trying to update the HMD itself fails.

After messing around with it for ages I discovered there is a compatibility issue with asus motherboards and USB Bandwidth & power management. It seems like the solution to get around it is to install a powered PCI USB card. Apparently it doesn't only affect the Index, it's an issue that's been around for a long time with early oculus models.

I was planning on getting a new motherboard to update my b350-f so this just expedites it, lucky I found out now before I ordered another Asus one. Something for people to bear in mind considering them.

Soldato
Got mine the other day, after the dispatch notification I didn't get any more updates until it just randomly turned up.

I haven't tried any other VR headsets, so I don't have anything to compare it to but so far it has been awesome.

I do have a slight issue with it, I can update the controllers and base stations but trying to update the HMD itself fails.

After messing around with it for ages I discovered there is a compatibility issue with asus motherboards and USB Bandwidth & power management. It seems like the solution to get around it is to install a powered PCI USB card. Apparently it doesn't only affect the Index, it's an issue that's been around for a long time with early oculus models.

I was planning on getting a new motherboard to update my b350-f so this just expedites it, lucky I found out now before I ordered another Asus one. Something for people to bear in mind considering them.

Try disabling XMP in the Bios and putting in the memory timings manually. This was a solution for the incompatibility between some Asus motherboards and the Rift.

Soldato
Wasn't sure which Index thread to dig up, but i guess this will do.

For those unawares anything ordered within the Index eco system since our day of independence at the backend of last year has been stuck in the Netherlands unable to cross the channel. People initially reported import tariffs being past over to the buyer from the couriers, it seems Valve have bitten the bullet and ceased UK sales.

The RMA process is a total screw up at the moment too, customer service telling people if they want to proceed a hefty £60 charge for engaging.

Reporting this might sound a little salty, but i was banging on about this last year on numerous occasions on the Index sub, nobody was interested.

While i realise supplies are limited, Valve knew this was coming and could have at least localised a small stock for RMA purposes before the exit, they're a billion dollar company ffs and could have organised it.

Soldato
While i realise supplies are limited, Valve knew this was coming and could have at least localised a small stock for RMA purposes before the exit, they're a billion dollar company ffs and could have organised it.

This doesn't seem to be affecting Oculus who are also based in the Netherlands - at least I've not seen any complaints that Oculus orders from their website or their returns are affected.

It's not like Valve are a small company, and they already deal with different VAT rates from around the world so they have mechanisms in place to deal with taxes, etc.

As you say they should have sorted out a local distribution service.

Back
Top Bottom