• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the NVidia RTX performance even worse than previously reported?

Associate
"The concern was highlighted during a Tomb Raider demo at Gamescom where the ray tracing enabled game could barely manage 30 to 60 frames per second at Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels)."

It can barely use it's new feature, the main selling point of the cards at 1080p and even hit 60fps and who the hell would be sporting a 1080p monitor with a 2080Ti. That one line is the literal nail in the coffin for these cards because why would you buy over a 1080Ti even now because a 1080Ti is a beast at 1440p and the 2080Ti isn't fast enough to give 100fps+ at 4K so Nvidia are asking you to pay £500+ more for a few extra frames at 4K.

You would have to be demented to buy one.

Soldato
New drivers can improve performance, but by how much is too early to say, new graphics cards need new drivers, new games and even benchmarks need time polish and patches, it's always been like this in my past experience, new features like Nvidia RTX ray tracing technology in games might need the next gen or two of graphics cards to take full advantage at max graphics settings and high resolutions and monitor high refresh rates?.

Associate
Isn't it a fact that this is the 1st generation of a new card and performance will improve over time? Use RTX and take the performance hit.

Yes but if that card can't even use RTX to an acceptable standard and it's not a huge amount faster than the previous generation but twice the price it seems a very bad product.

Permabanned
Yes but if that card can't even use RTX to an acceptable standard and it's not a huge amount faster than the previous generation but twice the price it seems a very bad product.

The card should be a nice bump in performance for those using 4k+ panels. Ray tracing though is not market ready for gaming, hence the poor reception. Maybe next year we will see a decent bump in RT performance from 7nm, or maybe even some competition since it is Microsoft behind the RT push.

Associate
OP
If Nvidia can only manage a 35% fps increase by using a technology which is not available to ordinary users then it isn't a realistic figure at all !

Soldato
Dat up-scaling trick, PS4 Pro / Xbox One X does similar.

Yuk, should be native resolution on PC, consoles need to resort to up-scaling and tricks, sad that Nvidia are doing this too and calling it progress.

Hopefully AMD launch a real improved DGPU at some-point. Don't care about Nvidia's ray tracing and up-scaling at all.

Caporegime

Yuk, should be native resolution on PC, consoles need to resort to up-scaling and tricks, sad that Nvidia are doing this too and calling it progress.

Hopefully AMD launch a real improved DGPU at some-point. Don't care about Nvidia's ray tracing and up-scaling at all.
All down to how well it is upscaled. If it looks good and comparable to native but gives loads more performance, surely that is a good thing? I remember loads of people running upscaled resolutions to 4K from a 1080P monitor and they loved the look of it and said it improved the IQ (brain dead from 3:30am starts and can't for the life of me think what it is called).

Soldato

The same PC users that have been ripping into consoles for upscaling will now be saying it's the second coming :D:D:D:D:D. DSR and VSR is what you are talking about i think Greg.

Associate
Blimey surely this has been covered add verbatim in the 400 + pages in speculation thread. Search dammit search
This is OCUK people here are thorough... really really thorough.:D There is not a subject yet thought up that we can't get a 40 page thread out of.

Soldato
The same PC users that have been ripping into consoles for upscaling will now be saying it's the second coming :D:D:D:D:D. DSR and VSR is what you are talking about i think Greg.

xD

I already have an upscaler in my Xbox One X, has Freesync too !! Could buy 3 of X1X's for the cost of a single 2080 Ti pmsl.

Nvidia can keep ray tracing, up-scaling and over priced tech thank you very much..

No qualms with those willing to pony up the cash mind, keep em warm for me. I'll see you on MM in the future xD

Associate
https://mightygadget.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-35-faster-gtx-1080-ti-75-expensive/

I can't apparently cut and paste from the site, but it appears the NVidia figures are dependent on DLSS being used and this feature is not available to the general public, only developers to offer it as support in games.
Why create a new thread for this? You created a new one for the 3dmark leak as well. Just keep it all together in the speculation thread. When the benchmarks are released a new thread will be created.

Soldato
If Nvidia can only manage a 35% fps increase by using a technology which is not available to ordinary users then it isn't a realistic figure at all !
It's £400 more than the 1080Ti founders edition at their launch prices, there will be some extra costs for GDDR6 over GDDR5X and the new twin fan shroud, it's the nature of the beast, I'd like to test play projects cars 2 with two 2080ti's and three pg27uq's, what's that cost approx £8000?

Back
Top Bottom