Is the sugar in grapes good or bad?

Soldato
I've been going through cartons of green and red seedless grapes quite a lot these last few weeks. Well, not lots, but probably bought 4 or 5 x 500g size cartons since May.

Am I overdoing the sugar, could they be a diabetic risk? They're really sweet.

Well I mean that sugar found in sweets, cakes, biscuits is generally regarded as bad, can lead to being overweight, diabetes, etc. My weight to height is as it should be, but I fully expect to be told to cut down on those things.

I'm just wondering if the sugar contained in fruit, being natural and not refined, is anything to worry about.

I don't eat a lot of fruit but never thought there could be a chance I might ever be told to cut down on the grapes, apples and bananas.

I always thought you could eat as much fruit as you want, but perhaps it's like other food, everything in moderation.

I probably should have researched before making the thread. Apparently one can do no wrong eating grapes.

They are rich in vitamins & essential minerals.

Contain high volumes of phytonutrients called polyphenols, which reduce the risk of plaque formation on arteries.

Are rich in resveratrol, a compound that keeps the heart healthy.

Contain high volumes of antioxidants which are helpful in prevention of cancer.

6) Diabetes
In 2013, results of a study published in the BMJ suggested that certain fruits, but not juices, may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes in adults.
During the study, which involved 187,382 participants and lasted 22 years, 6.5 percent of the participants developed diabetes.
However, those who consumed three servings a week of blueberries, grapes, raisins, apples, or pears had a 7-percent lower risk of type 2 diabetes compared with those who did not.
The relatively high level of sugar found in grapes leads some people to ask whether they are safe for people with diabetes to eat.
The American Diabetes Association encourages people to consume grapes and other fruits, as long as the carbohydrate amount is counted as part of their meal plan.
The vitamins, minerals, and fiber in grapes make them a healthful way to satisfy a sweet tooth.

I've been going through cartons of green and red seedless grapes quite a lot these last few weeks. Well, not lots, but probably bought 4 or 5 x 500g size cartons since May.

Am I overdoing the sugar, could they be a diabetic risk? They're really sweet.
ive been doing the same even more so than you, they're good arn't they :)
the sugar 'fructose' in fruit does not need insulin to pull it into the cell unlike glucose and other carbohydrates so you are ok on that front..

ive been doing the same even more so than you, they're good arn't they :)
the sugar 'fructose' in fruit does not need insulin to pull it into the cell unlike glucose and other carbohydrates so you are ok on that front..

Yep, they're really moreish. Like popping the fruity equivalent of maltesers in your mouth :D
Good to hear. I kind of suspected they're safe enough. I thought I'd better check as my mum was getting worried about my grape consumption seeing as how a friend recently got diagnosed with diabetes.

Yep, they're really moreish. Like popping the fruity equivalent of maltesers in your mouth :D
Good to hear. I kind of suspected they're safe enough. I thought I'd better check as my mum was getting worried about my grape consumption seeing as how a friend recently got diagnosed with diabetes.
eating fruits and berries are good for you it's as simple as that.
it's a sad and crazy world when we are scared to eat the food we are designed to..

If you are eating them/grapes between meals, I might be concerned about the (apparently) tartaric acid they have, so tooth erosion,
unless you have water/coffee etc to offset that.
(have recenctly upped pineapple consumption >1p/w since available cheaply at MrT and was wondering about them too)

eating fruits and berries are good for you it's as simple as that.
it's a sad and crazy world when we are scared to eat the food we are designed to..

It's not really that simple. A balanced diet is good for you, so a few potions of fruit is good in a varied diet. However if you end up eating too much fruit you will be having way too much sugar in your diet.

I go through a 500g tub every week. I take a selection of red grapes, an apple and strawberries to work every day. I'm a creature of habit.

Hmm, I have just changed my diet to not eat sugary things like cakes / choc bars etc, I have swapped to bananas and apples to fill in that craving for sugar right now, How many bananas and apples is in the limit of daily sugar intake?

Back
Top Bottom