• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is there a compatibilty problem with the ATI 4850 and Furmark?

Soldato
Basically the title of the thread states it all - is there a compatibilty problem with the ATI 4850 or even the 48** range of cards with Furmark?

I and 2 other forum members have the same problem when using Furmark (and crysis) but no other problems with stress test apps, games or apps. I've also come across other threads in different forums where some 4850's are having similar problems.

The 2 others in the OC's forum have the same make and version as myself, a XFX 4850 XXX edition, so we haven't ruled out a bad batch - as we all bought at a similar time. But it could just be that this card doesn't like Furmark for whatever reasons.

Anyone else had similar experience with Furmark and any other 4850?

Edit: could you name the brand of your card with reply please - as it may turn out it's XFX XXX edition specific - a long shot i know.

Any personal experience or links to other ppl with the same/similar problem would be really apprecaited as i'm not totally convinced yet that it's a hardware problem as other problems just don't add up - you can see this [thread=17997690]thread[/thread] and my replies if you're interested.

Plec

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks for reply Biglunn and Ghost101, what are the brand of your cards? (And just out of interest what is the system memory you're using as that is a common factor with 3 of us using the 4850 and having Furmark problems?)

Ghost101, no idea yet as to problem but it's leaning more towards a gfx problem - click on the link in the original post if you want the full details - but i warn you it's not pretty... One of my last post lists all the trouble shooting methods i've used so far - about a 10 second read once located.

Thanks for the replies.

Plec

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know that some brands of the 4850 definitely work with Furmark without any problems. Just waiting then to see if anyone has successfully run a XFX 4850 XXX edition with Furmark?

So then, to re-phrase the original question - has anybody got an XFX 4850 XXX edition that they have successfully ran Furmark consistently without any issues?

Thanks again for your input guys - getting that little bit closer to resolving this.

Plec

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok, so that rules out the xfx having a system memory conflict as pyrophonic has different memory to the orignal 3 of us who are having problems.

Glad you found the place pyrophonic, my directions on the forum you were using for finding this place weren't very subtle.

So it's either a pysical fault with the card or driver issue which i find hard to swallow as surely there would be an avalanche of posts about this card crashing in crysis and Furmark?

I was hoping to try my card in my brother-in-law's rig but it's a dell system and i'm scared i'll balls up his system as i'm finding it very hard to get the nvidia uninstall app to work so that i can run driver seewper (it even stops that from opening) .So, it would be great if one of you guys had a mate that had more simple system to hack?

Plec

Plec

Soldato
OP
Edit: Thanks for that pyrophonic i think i'll be returning mine to OC's as it's clearly a fault.

jammy2232, we perhaps need to join forces a bit and contact OC and direct them to this thread and other threads. Hopefully magicpanda will get to see this too and we can have his input as well - you can mail me here if you want to discus a joint rma detail. It may speed up their decision that there is something wrong with the card rather than them assuming that we haven't tested it thoroughly enough or we've set it up wrong etc...

I don't think it's a heat issue as you know from previous posts i can get Furmark to run by clearing the CMOS and reinstalling Furmark. If i run stress test (i can only do this once as as soon as i esc out the program then becomes unstable again) my temps don't go above 70 degrees.

However, i haven't ruled out the cards memory or just that this card hates Furmark and Crysis. TBH, if it wasn't for crysis (which is why i upgraded) i wouldn't be here posting as i would put it down to a small app just being temperamental. Howerver, because crysis crashes in exactly the same way i'm worried there will be more programs out there that will do the same thing or worse future ones.

pyrophonic, your test will be the final proof really that we need because if it replicates the problem in a different rig again it's def the card.

Someone with more gfx knowledge needs to advise us whether a driver can cause this specific problem to one card or whether it's more likely hardware related.

jammy2232, your xfx response will be worth knowing - it's whether or not they admit to a problem that could be widespread.

We're slowly getting there still eating too much of my holiday. I so nearly didn't buy the XFX as i had massive problems with thier 6800 years ago - 3 returns later i bought an asus version instead... May be doing something similar again - but it's proving that the card is faulty.

Strength in numbers...

Plec

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I may have been editing my reply when you posted - see my contact details above if you feel that it may be worth a combined rma with the same facts.

It's a shame as the card is blisteringly fast for the money.

Additional: mines a version 1.0 what's yours?

Plec

Soldato
OP
Brilliant, well not brilliant really, but you know what i mean. Thanks pyrophonot you got the proof that we needed.

We've got enough information/proof between us that an rma should be pretty straight forward. I don't know which card to get as this card from OC's was amazing value.

Plec

Soldato
OP
I'm going to link to 2 of these threads but try and combine all the info and troubleshooting into one cohesive mail - will be tough, there's a lot of info and testing to correlate.

If you e-mail me your details i'll mention your info/rma too so they can compare the 2 (see link above) and i'll respond in kind to you. However, don't feel you have to it's just a suggestion i'm pretty paranoid when it comes to web interaction but in this particular instance it's plain to see we're very much in the same boat and of similar mind.

They should spot that the card trips up on Furmark straight away and they should recognise that as a fault immediately. OC's are pretty understanding as long as the fault is identifiable - i think i will be swapping to the asus but it's shame this card didn't work it was a beast for the money.

Plec

Soldato
OP
Thanks pyrophonich i'll add that to my rma return my rig is in my sig and my trouble shooting method is in this [thread=17997690]thread[/thread] - just scroll down until you get to bullit points. However your test will be the most damning/conclusive and it guarantees, hopefully, that they'll replicate the same problem in their own systems.

Good luck with your return.

Plec

Soldato
OP
Finally got to test in a different rig - I too replicated the same problem infact the Furmark problem was far quicker to appear in my friends rig.

Returning my card today - Oc's run Furmark and crysis as one of their default tests. I'll advise them of this thread in my covering letter but they seem to have a pretty comprehensive testing procedure.

Plec

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No i didn't sorry just checking mail now - i was just off to the post office so i'll wait for your results if your doing them now.

thanks.

Plec

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Edit: are you running the tests right now - if not could you copy and paste them so i can assess whether or not i've done them already - because if i have i'll carry on returning the card.

Just read your e-mail - it reads fine and informs them of all the relevant facts. My letter is a bit more comprehensive but the guy i spoke to at OC's said they only need a basic idea of the problem and your sytem spec as they will run their own checks. Furmark and crysis seem at the core of their tests.

I was just on my way to the postoffice to return mine - but i'm holding off just in case, by some inconceivable fluke, this isn't a hardware problem.

I can wait a few minutes just to be sure.

Thanks for mail - i was checking wrong account.

Below is the troubleshooting procedure I applied with all components run at default:

•Prime95 the cpu and memory - no problems
•Memtested both sticks of memory, individually and in dual channel mode - all passed.
•I have re-installed windows XP 3 times.
•Ran Furmark with just one stick of memory. But can get it working briefly if I re-install it and clear the CMOS if the system has crashed a lot but as soon as I escape a stress test it fails again.
•I have installed all the latest drivers for the motherboard and graphics card - I have even tried earlier drivers for both. I'm using 9.4 cats now.
•Tried varying voltages in the BIOS for the memory and CPU.
•Latest BIOS for motherboard.
•Increased all the fans on components to maximum.
• I've had system applications running to check all the temps. However, everything runs very cool - especially the graphics card, which makes me believe that perhaps it is the memory on the card at fault or just a fundamental error with the card.
•Tried different memory in the system.
•Checked PSU voltages using a voltmeter.
•The most conclusive test was fitting the card in another machine and replicating the same error. I did this after another forum member replicated the same result in a separate machine. This finally proved that the card was at fault and eliminated other components.
•Please see the this link http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17997995&highlight=plec for discussions on the problem – you will be able to see that every conceivable test was applied until we came to the conclusion the card was at fault – even though is was evident days ago.

Plec

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sorry jammy i'm posting this again just incase you read my previous post before the edit:

Are you running the tests right now - if not could you copy and paste them so i can assess whether or not i've done them already - because if i have i'll carry on returning the card?

Edit: I'm guessing you must be running the tests so i'll hold off going to the post office until you reply with either your results or the list of the tests/updates you've been asked to try.

Thanks

Edit: Yes we have thanks spooks - see my trouble shooting list on previous page for other tests.

Plec

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No appologies needed - we both used to have a life before this card got delivered through our doors.

I've run 95% of those tests so i may just return it (see my trouble shooting list on previous page). Plus pyrophonich ran his card in a different machine and experienced the same problem. I can't see them having any other suggestions after that little lot as that's all you can do apart from voltage test your PSU and i've done that on mine. It's easier for them as they have the kit around them to chop about and lots of known, up and running systems for them to test it in. I just hope it's a straight forward return.

When will carry these tests out as i'm going to be another hour now before i head to the post office?

Knowing my luck i'll send it back and you'll get a result - but i just want rid of the card as i don't trust it. (I'm still within my 7 days so i can fall back on the long distance selling act - but i would rather OC's, for their benifit as much as mine, took my card out of circulation)

I don't know what to wish for with regards to the test. I can get Furmark running, as mentioned before in prior posts, but it's an extreme measure just to get it going until it decides to crash again or i press esc out of a stress test which always results in the system crashing again when i re-run Furmark.

Edit: i'm running F8 tried earlier version too.

Good luck and you have mail, btw.

Plec

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You can use a usb pen to update the BIOS really easily, btw. You just unzip the Bios on to the pen and press the F8 key when the system boots up, i think check manual, or just selct Bios update when your in the bios - making sure your usb pen is already in it's port. (I advise you to avoid the windows update version as it's not as reliable)

Your mem test may fail because of all your system crashes - clear the cmos if it does and it should resolve your memory issues. Unplug your rig and touch the cmos jumper with the end of a screw driver for a couple of seconds. Reboot, enter BIOS and load optimal defaults from the BIOS and your off.

Plec

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Are you out if the 28 day guarantee from OC's? As that may be the cheaper and faster option.

Edit: Ignore, i just got your email, thanks. That's a promising fix but if that doesn't work it's very damning for the card.

Plec

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sent mine back by special delivery 2 hours ago - such a relief to be rid of it. So if they test tomorrow i should have it sorted by the end of the day and i can get on and order a different card.

Good luck with your returns.

Plec

Soldato
OP
Postage is refunded after they identify the fault. It's a bit complicated but fair enough considering that they have to deal with other users who may not know what they're doing when it comes to diagnostics of a problem.

Hope your return goes smoothly

Plec

Soldato
OP
Which, furmark or Crysis and what brand is your card and does it hang consistently?

If it's just the one program it may just be a software/conflict glitch or obviously temps (which, judging from your forum experience i'm guessing this is nothing you don't already know.) - if it's both and it's an XFX brand then there may be a connection.

However, i haven't come across any 4870's with this type of 'consistent' problem while researching this - 4850's tend to only crop up and only the xfx brand.

That doean't rule out that your card has a problem but it may not be ralated to this particular strand. Read the entire thread through and see how many points your card hits - hopefully not too many.

Plec

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ransy-Pants - i've asked for a refund for that very reason.

About 4 years ago i ordered an xfx 6800 card, it had really bad heat issues. Three returns later i decided that there must be faulty batch (as did other forum members) and so bought an asus version instead.

I'm not saying that there is a bad batch at OC's but there is an increasing trend of 'like-for-like' faults appearing with this card and not just from OC's so it's not their fault. It's the beauty of mass production, unfortunately.

Jammy, i think this problem is xfx 4850 specific - as there haven't been any other 4850 brands posting on this thread. So, i would do a few searches on the card you like - if you don't get a lot of hits regarding problems you should be ok - well hopefully...

Plec

Back
Top Bottom