Is there a "cool" convertible?

Soldato
Can I ask what all the 'financed' issue is about? Surely owning a massively depreciating asset is pointless, especially if you want to change regularly?

Are people saying that those with mortgages are somehow lacking?

You are still paying for the depreciation on finance, it just isnt as obvious :p

Financing the latest German brick mobile is for keeping up appearances. Like having the latest phone.

Soldato
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Who cares how people finance their possessions? It’s up to them. Any moral victory to be declared just because one didn’t choose to finance the payment in part or whole, is rather puerile IMO. Why it even makes it into these threads is beyond me.

Associate
I have an E85 Z4 as a second car and love driving top down at night.
If its a clear night with all the stars out then I'm itching to go for a drive. Driving through town at night is a nice experience too.

Night driving is great.

Also driving while its snowing, the confused looks on people when they see you warm and dry is always great.

Soldato
I had the roof down during a really foggy night on the way home from work, I was still grinning, Its the experience, I'm not bothered about how cool my car is to someone else, if it makes me smile, its all that matters.

Caporegime
This thread is making me want another MX5...

Night driving is great.

Also driving while its snowing, the confused looks on people when they see you warm and dry is always great.

I drove through Horsham town centre in fresh snow with the roof down with me and my friend both wearing silly hats, I had a multi coloured one with tassles, she had a reindeer hat, playing 1940's blues music through the radio for added bizarreness...

Every single person we drove past either looked as us like we were clinically insane, or laughed. :p

Caporegime
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Who cares how people finance their possessions? It’s up to them. Any moral victory to be declared just because one didn’t choose to finance the payment in part or whole, is rather puerile IMO. Why it even makes it into these threads is beyond me.

I wish I understood financing :(

Associate
I had a Mk1 Eunos Roadster in Classic Red around 2003. Red with a Tan Roof. - 1990, pop up headlights, vintage Loved it, fabulous drive and still miss it. A MX5 Mk2.5 black with a red mohair roof around 2012. Not quite as engaging to drive and was a good car until it rusted away!

Went to Ellesmere Port Mazda and drove one of the newer Mk4 2.0i a few months ago. About as close to the original feeling, superb balanced drive and put a smile across my face. If I was going to think about a soft top again I'd be considering one of those - I really don't care about hairdresser related comments - Drive what you enjoy and don't care what other people think.

Don
In answer to the OP, yes there are plenty, imo (have to say that, obvs ), I've owned a few so can give a wee bit of feedback on them at least

E46 M3, a car very worthy of its appreciating value, just don't bother with the hard-top or expect wet dreams from the exhaust note
S4, epic engine, amazing stereo, just lack lusture externals oh and woeful brakes
RS4, now you're talking, addresses all of the issues above the only problem is you need to be tied to a petrol pump
S2000, timeless looks, effortless to put the roof down and if you can be arsed with it, a unique engine
E85 Z4 (3.0si) decent enough attempt at a middle of the road, roadster. Drop the runflats to improve cabin noise a bit, but as a marque to drive up and down motorways, no ta
E89 Z4 (35is) pukka, what a brilliant little car. Little, is the only issue, you can't do anything with it with the roof down, probably sneak in a jacket or two, but that aside you have to try one!
M4 the grown up of the z4(m), decent boot space, with endless specification choices, allows you to change a capable car into a weapon (MPE, CCBs to name but two must haves) I had a whale of a time in mine today, north of 550hp (ok that's with aftermarket stuff) and very nimble, sure it's not the coupe in terms of weight, but when you can put the roof down who cares about the difference :cool:

Roof down motoring, I'll always have an option in my garage, infact if this virus could kindly do one I'm waiting for an M8 convertible on an extended test.

Caporegime
You hand over loads of money each month to a man and at the end you get nothing :p
Do you?

With a lease you end up using the vehcile for the privilege of the payment.

With a (properly researched) PCP, you get to use the vehicle and end up with a bit of deposit towards the next vehicle.

With HP you are just straight up paying for the car in instalments, though admittedly usually at a higher interest rate than a good bank loan.

I walked away with a £5k deposit after my 2012-2016 Audi A4 PCP. I then HP’d my S3 between 2016 and 2020. Now I own my 440i outright.

Don
Do you?

With a lease you end up using the vehcile for the privilege of the payment.

With a (properly researched) PCP, you get to use the vehicle and end up with a bit of deposit towards the next vehicle.

With HP you are just straight up paying for the car in instalments, though admittedly usually at a higher interest rate than a good bank loan.

I walked away with a £5k deposit after my 2012-2016 Audi A4 PCP. I then HP’d my S3 between 2016 and 2020. Now I own my 440i outright.

I bought mine with online fruit machine winnings

and to think people berate leasing etc.. :p

Back
Top Bottom