Is there something else other than our consciousness

Permabanned
Joe rogan speaks a lot about it

I think me speaking we would have to be nieve to think it's just us humans

DMT hope I'm not crossing the line but makes you wonder

Man of Honour
One of the main factors of my depression is "I know me, why don't I know anybody else?".
So basically it's as though I'm sitting in a control room in a body behind the eyes controlling it.
Why wasn't my consciousness/soul etc put in another body and why can't I switch.
It makes me think that there is only me and everybody else is a bot.

Yes I'm weird.

Soldato
One of the main factors of my depression is "I know me, why don't I know anybody else?".
So basically it's as though I'm sitting in a control room in a body behind the eyes controlling it.
Why wasn't my consciousness/soul etc put in another body and why can't I switch.

Yes I'm weird.
Tbf we are all just brains controlling a skin and bone flesh robot :D

Soldato

Yes I'm weird.

I've thought the same thing many times, although I'm not depress. When I was young, I asked my sister if she plugged herself in at night. Serious narcissim, but I was trying to determine whether I was the only real person alive.

Soldato
but why has me been put in this flesh robot and not in your flesh robot?
It seriously does my head in to be honest.
You are trying to rationalise it after the fact. You are here, and everyone else is.

The fact we can even ask these question to ourselves and others is a miracle in itself, rather than us just being driven -almost- entirely by hunt/gather/protect modes like animals.

You're in your body because you are lucky. Lucky you got the chance at life. You could have stayed rock/dirt, but you got absorbed and turned into something else by your parents.

Soldato
but why has me been put in this flesh robot and not in your flesh robot?
It seriously does my head in to be honest.
When a mummy flesh robot and a daddy flesh robot have a special cuddle............. :p

I wonder what consciousness animals have, when hunting for example are they just thinking "food food food" or it there an element of fun / excitement to it.

Soldato
When a mummy flesh robot and a daddy flesh robot have a special cuddle............. :p

I wonder what consciousness animals have, when hunting for example are they just thinking "food food food" or it there an element of fun / excitement to it.

I think if we lost all understanding of language that would drop us pretty close back to animals.

Caporegime
Well it could be we are brains in jars connected to a simulation but I imagine the simple solution is probably closest, as in we are as we appear to be. An animal with reasonable intelligence trying to survive in a hostile world made less so by civilisation.

On what metric are you using the word "reasonable"?

As far as we know it, we are literally the most intelligent living thing in the known universe. We have 3-4 times as many neurons as Chimps, and like 100 times more than a cat.

I know you might argue there could be more intelligent life somewhere out there (and there could be), but until we find it, we are literally the most intelligent living organism in known existence.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
We live in a simulation anyway, so it's all irrelevant. Know that the RTX 4000 series prices were conjured up by some madman up there watching on their screen "teehee these sims will go crazy about these prices".

On what metric are you using the word "reasonable"?

As far as we know it, we are literally the most intelligent living thing in the known universe. We have 3-4 times as many neurons as Chimps, and like 100 times more than a cat.

I know you might argue there could be more intelligent life somewhere out there (and there could be), but until we find it, we are literally the most intelligent living organism in known existence.
Agreed, we could easily be so. It doesn't mean we are where we need to be in regard to general intelligence, as in no longer destroying our only home with pollution etc. We are using up the Earths resources at a scary rate while poisoning the atmosphere. We in Britain aren't too bad but elsewhere will probably be the end of us.

Last edited:
Soldato
You are trying to rationalise it after the fact. You are here, and everyone else is.

The fact we can even ask these question to ourselves and others is a miracle in itself, rather than us just being driven -almost- entirely by hunt/gather/protect modes like animals.

You're in your body because you are lucky. Lucky you got the chance at life. You could have stayed rock/dirt, but you got absorbed and turned into something else by your parents.

“We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?”​

Soldato
Joe rogan speaks a lot about it

I think me speaking we would have to be nieve to think it's just us humans

DMT hope I'm not crossing the line but makes you wonder

Are you talking about spiritual stuff like god? As that is what rogan is talking about about I assume. The US has an odd relationship around god.

But to answer your question I think it is naive to think there is something else. Or do you mean a closed fist?

Soldato
I've thought the same thing many times, although I'm not depress. When I was young, I asked my sister if she plugged herself in at night. Serious narcissim, but I was trying to determine whether I was the only real person alive.

Yes I'm weird.
I have thought the same, whenever I try to get my head around it, its so odd to even contemplate. Why am I experiencing my existence and not someone else, its like being too self aware or something.

Soldato
What if someone else i.e. God or a higher consciousness is experiencing everything?

So what we are experiencing is like a dream within a dream, all playing our roles etc.

Really I think it’s beyond our mind to comprehend and also beyond time and space.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom