Is this a good pc build on a budget, any bottlenecking on Fortnite 1080p ultra low settings?

Soldato
If it's literally just for 240hz Fortnite then it'll work, might not be the best use of your money but that depends on how much it's all setting you back.

You're really not being particularly forthcoming with information, but going from the above you are buying or already own the CPU and GPU? If you're buying them how much would each cost you?

A breakdown list of price per component would offer a lot of clarity for us to help you with.

Man of Honour
I’m confused, Fortnite at ultra low. Will it bottleneck yes or no
For me, Fortnite is a difficult game to give advice on because it has been updated A LOT and has different modes (e.g. DirectX 11, 12) and loads of features you can turn on/off for eye-candy.

I normally rely on performance reviews like this:

and this:

But, I don't know of any reliable sources for Fortnite which can show you performance at different resolutions and graphical settings.

So... we're left with searching for YouTube videos to try and assess performance, like the one tamzzy linked you earlier and anecdotal evidence like Gary* has shared with you.

-----

From what I can gather in the YouTube videos and from what Gary* has shared, if you use performance settings than you will hit a CPU bottleneck fairly easy in this game, even with an entry-level GPU.

I would imagine that you want at least the 200 fps that Gary* has reported, so we can safely say that a 5600 non-X or 5600X is the baseline you should aim for.

The next question is, at which point is the CPU enough? I don't know the answer to that question, perhaps @Gary* can share his utilisation % for CPU/GPU.

-----

Realistically, I doubt you're going to get a much better CPU than the 5800X if you want a 6800 XT in the used PC, so the question is: do you drop lower than the 6800 XT to fit a better CPU?

From a quick reddit browse, it looks like there are mixed reports and it maybe depends how intensive the games you play usually are.

This comment suggests a 6800 XT is too much and you should drop GPU DOWN and the CPU UP:
lmao my fps went from like 200 on performance mode with 6700xt and 5600g, to 600+ average with a 7800x3d and the same 6700xt

But, that's just one comment and the 5600G is slower than the 5600X or 5800X (the G models have half the cache).

If the 7800X3D makes that kind of difference, I also don't know if that is because of the X3D's cache, or because of the RAM speed and the first comment in that thread says that upgrading to a 5800X3D did nothing for their FPS.

-----

My answer to your question: I don't know, but I suspect you'll be bottlenecked by the CPU.

Would I drop down from the 6800 XT? Personally: no, there's not enough confirmation it would be worth it, but if maximum FPS is very important to you (e.g. competitive gamer) then I'd recommend you look into it more than I have.

Last edited:
Associate
You'd be better off getting a 7500F or 7600 if that's your plan, but the used prices on those are probably less attractive than the 5000.
might be a few more floating around when the new 9000 series drops though. bound to be some people upgrading, and maybe drive price down a bit

Man of Honour
The amount of effort going into a post that almost seems to be trolling is a testament to the helpfulness of the people here
correction: some people :)

i nope out when i see low effort threads lol

op: i want to buy a car...must be fast
person: okay, how fast
op: very fast
person: okay, how about telling us about your budget?
op: very very fast
person: what is the age of the car you want?
op: must be fast

how to spec lol

Man of Honour
let's start from the beginning...
@Icewheely what is your budget and what components have you already bought/have?
we know you want to run fortnite at competitive settings, you have to give us more information to allow us to give you the best advice tailored for you (the cliche, help us to help you)

Associate
OP
If it's literally just for 240hz Fortnite then it'll work, might not be the best use of your money but that depends on how much it's all setting you back.

You're really not being particularly forthcoming with information, but going from the above you are buying or already own the CPU and GPU? If you're buying them how much would each cost you?

A breakdown list of price per component would offer a lot of clarity for us to help you with.
Don’t own them, im looking to buy a cpu for £80-130 maybe more not really sure and gpu for £180-260

Cooler(id cooling se-214 xt)=£18

Motherboard(msi b450 gaming plus max AM4)=£80

Memory(Corsair vengeance lpx 16gb)=£38

SSD(Kingston NV2 500gb)=£34

Case(montech x3 mesh)=£50

PSU(evga 850 bq)=£85

Total cost around £597

Associate
OP
let's start from the beginning...
@Icewheely what is your budget and what components have you already bought/have?
we know you want to run fortnite at competitive settings, you have to give us more information to allow us to give you the best advice tailored for you (the cliche, help us to help you)
I don’t own any parts my budget is £550-650 I don’t care about graphics but I want to be able to run most games on decent graphics on 1080p; my main priority is Fortnite ultra low graphics

Back
Top Bottom