Is this all i need?

Associate
Going to go for a watercooling setup within my current corsair 300r case.

would this be everything i need or enough rad size to cool 2x7970 and a i7 920?

30shjep.png

just flicked through the guide and i seem to have everything, though im unsure if i have the right sizes and rights amount or rad space to cool efficiently

Sorry for poor paint skills, a quick mock of of whats in my head
294qx6g.jpg

i already have all corsair af fans ready, would this work or have i fundamentally got some bits wrong?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes if I need the d5 I will

Thanks that's the kind of help I was looking for.

Do I have all the other components right? Will the rads be sufficient to cool my setup? Or maybe I could remove the hd cage and change the 140 for another 280?

Last edited:
Soldato
That should be adequate yes (probably more than adequate :)).

Are you aiming for a quiet system or performance?

If you went with two 280s it would look cleaner and if needed give you the option of the extra 120 later.

All other components look great :) Well you've specked white tubing as an addition to the tubing in the kit which is clear. Is the white instead of the clear tube?

(and I'm heavily bias towards Hardware labs rads. I just love the quality feel of them but xspc have amazing reviews but I cannot comment really on them)

Have you considered different vga blocks? Like Ek or watercool?

xspc blocks in this test were 5 degrees higher than the watercool version and 3 hgher than the ek.

Also a lot more restrictive than the ek.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1255376/...-fullcover-waterblocks-for-amd-hd7970-roundup

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Heard great things of xspc rads. Haven't really looked into the blocks, the ek clear one looks good and is cheaper! So win win!!

Wanted all clear, so will change, thanks for pointing it out. Going for a quiet system so will keep the 120 in and use two 280s.

All my fans will be on 7v and are whisper quiet. Want a rig that's quiet as possible!

Do I need some kind of special connection between my two cards water blocks?

Thanks guys this is the help I needed, will be ordering tonight!

Last edited:
Soldato
Get yourself a fan controller for ultimate quiet control.

The ek blocks are out of stock at the moment so might be worth asking in the customer services area see if they know when they're getting them back in.

My honest preference would be the water cool block at £1.01 more;

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-012-WC&groupid=962&catid=1520&subcat=2327

Edit: so are the watercool blocks :(

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-022-WC&groupid=962&catid=1520&subcat=2327 is $89.99 but you could save 5 degrees using these over the xspc versions.

Associate
OP
For all your help I'll go with the watercool for 89! Haha
Are the backplates purely for show? No heat purpose?

Also I will remove my DVD drive and add a fan controller, I can't remember the last time I used it anyway! Windows 7 and 8 both on USB sticks now.

Again thanks for your help! No doubt ill have more questions when it all arrives!

Last edited:
Soldato
No worries :)

I think ive spotted my vga blocks now as well :)

Good luck and let us know how it goes :)

The nickle plated ones are in stock. depends on if you like them really. As long as you're running anti corrosion which is in the kit you should be fine :)

Just to add to your bill. Have you thought how your going to link the two cards together yet?

Might be worth posting up your revised basket to double check :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Two for the pump! That's what I didn't count.

Thanks guys, I'm sure you can tell I'm an absolute novice to wc'ing!

Do I need some special connection to go between the two watercool blocks on the gpus?

Soldato
YOUR BASKET
1 x XSPC RayStorm D5 EX280 WaterCooling Kit £262.99
2 x Watercool Heatkiller GPU-X³ 79X0 Ni-Bl £89.99 (£179.98)
1 x XSPC EX280 Dual Fan Radiator £44.99
1 x XSPC EX120 120mm Radiator - Black £31.99
2 x XSPC 7/16" ID (16/11mm) High Flex Hose - Clear (1m Length) £2.99 (£5.98)
8 x XSPC G1/4" to 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD Compression Fitting (Black Chrome) £2.99 (£23.92)
Total : £561.83 (includes shipping : £10.00).

Edited. I think that this tubing is the same as the one in the kit.

The barbs you specced are now compression fittings so theyre the same as the ones in the kit.

Isnt an extra 4 needed? so 8 fittings beside the kit?

1x 280 rad =2
1x120 rad =2
2x vga =4

? :confused:

Between blocks some people use the normal tubing but mostly people seem to use crystal links (cant find them on ocuk :() or they use bridges which are not on ocuk.

Blocks are currently the watercolor ones that are in stock but they're more expensive.

Jumping in at the deep end I like it :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you for that! Yes that set does use compression ones!

And why do things by halfs! I was just going to do the CPU, but may as well go the whole hog! It's been on the cards for months, finally jumping in!

I'll just use tubing between gpus!

Though looking removing my hd cage seems like it might be a pain, so may go with 140 rad in front as it my dreamel skills aren't the best!

I feel like I need luck here!! Should be nice and quiet by the end!

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, didn't spot dual gpus, so yes, 4 more barbs (or compressions).

Good spot though I completely missed them :(

I managed to get 240 into an antec 300.

They're much easier to drill out that you might think. The harder part is drilling holes for the mounting.

Maybe 140 in front would be best :)

AFAIK there's no issues mixing copper and nickle so those gpu will be fine as long as you're happy with them :)

and just to double check those are the gigabyte windforce 3x cards right?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had to double check they were reference pcbs. I've never had any gigabyte stuff so wanted to be cautious on your behalf. Nothing worse than taking something apart to find out it doesn't fit :D

Dremel is not for everyone :) I took a dewalt to mine :D

Back
Top Bottom