Is this overclock safe 7700k

Associate
Hi all I have the spec in my signature and I did the quick method of hitting 4.6ghz in the bios by clicking cpu upgrade and 4.6 ghz. It set the cpu v core quite high I thought as it would hit 1.366 volts under load and my Temps were a little high.

I've gradually been lowering the cpu v core and its now at 1.260v. This is the only thing I have changed and I'm still at 4.6ghz with much better temperatures and it all seems stable. Is it OK to keep lowering the cpu v core until I get crashes/instability to make the temperature as low as possible?

Associate
Hi all I have the spec in my signature and I did the quick method of hitting 4.6ghz in the bios by clicking cpu upgrade and 4.6 ghz. It set the cpu v core quite high I thought as it would hit 1.366 volts under load and my Temps were a little high.

I've gradually been lowering the cpu v core and its now at 1.260v. This is the only thing I have changed and I'm still at 4.6ghz with much better temperatures and it all seems stable. Is it OK to keep lowering the cpu v core until I get crashes/instability to make the temperature as low as possible?

Of course, if you're happy at 4.6Ghz then see how low you can get the vcore whilst maintaining stability.

I imagine if you can lower it that far at 4.6Ghz, with better cooling (what are your temps?) you could easily go much further at 1.366v.

Associate
OP
I'm using a Corsair h100i v2 cooler and my idle Temps are between 25-30 degrees and after an hour or so in Battlefield 1 the cores are around 73 degrees. Before I lowered the cpu v core I could be seeing 85 degrees in Bf1.

My Phanteks case has poor airflow I keep reading so I've done what I can to try and improve things by taping off the open areas of the radiator bracket (I think this has helped slightly) but there isn't much else I can do in regards to cooling. I already run a custom fan profile where at 70 degrees I have the fans at 85% lol. I don't mind the noise as I wear headphones and I'm so used to a noisy pc that a silent one is an alien concept to me!

I might load up the 4.8 ghz profile in the bios and see what happens. The motherboard will most likely give a much too high cpu v core again and I'll try and lower it. I was worried that by lowering the V core and nothing else it might have a negative effect on other settings.

I'm glad I don't need to worry for now at 4. 6 ghz though, thanks :)

Soldato
Why not just set the overclock in the bios by adjusting the multiplier. I'm not sure what motherboard you're using but I'm running 300mhz AVX offset, LLC5 and 1.34 vcore at 5Ghz. Also if you are concerned about temps you may want to delid your CPU. Your CPU will run much cooler if you do this.

Back
Top Bottom