Is this the end of the British GP ?

Caporegime
Well the most likely alternative to Silverstone, after listening to what Liberty would prefer would be a Central London GP.

There is not a single other race track in the UK that is fit and ready, right now, to host an F1 GP.

Relatively speaking it would be far cheaper to have a city based circuit.

However look at all the other city based circuits, and personally I would prefer Silverstone any day of the week.

Soldato
Well the most likely alternative to Silverstone, after listening to what Liberty would prefer would be a Central London GP.

There is not a single other race track in the UK that is fit and ready, right now, to host an F1 GP.

Relatively speaking it would be far cheaper to have a city based circuit.

However look at all the other city based circuits, and personally I would prefer Silverstone any day of the week.

If they can't get the government to pony up some cash for Silverstone, they are not going to pay for a central London race, not with all the disruption, loss of business, travel chaos, pulling up all the road furniture and putting it back, and that's before you see the state of the roads. Plus Silverstone is an iconic, fast track that the drivers love. Most of the teams are based there, and it's their home GP.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yup, back row, top of the stairs for the extra leg room. Was freezing yesterday though!

A chill on the back/neck can be really nasty from stands like that. I'm always amazed how fans at the Emirates stadium can tolerate the same thing near the top.

If they can't get the government to pony up some cash for Silverstone, they are not going to pay for a central London race, not with all the disruption, loss of business, travel chaos, pulling up all the road furniture and putting it back, and that's before you see the state of the roads. Plus Silverstone is an iconic, fast track that the drivers love. Most of the teams are based there, and it's their home GP.

The Government done nothing for the Jessica Ennis stadium and other sports facilities who were Olympic Gold winners. What makes you honestly think they'll do anything for motor racing?

Wasn't that where David Cameron once was?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Because the BRDC is, in effect a private members club (AFAIK you need to be invited to join) the government has consistently said they won't subsidise them. I'm partially in agreement with that and they have spent millions upgrading access roads etc for better traffic management. If the BRDC changes its entry criteria or makes it easier to join or changes in some way I can't see them ever getting any direct help. I'm not sure what can be done unless the government takes over the circuit completely and runs it at a no profit basis, Liberty take over the running of the GP from the BRDC or the BRDC give up Silverstone or sell it to someone else.

I suppose they could be granted charitable status if they make changes and that might save them money but they'd have to cut out the expensive upgrades and soirees for BRDC members. I'm sure they majorly renovated the clubhouse recently at considerable cost?

Soldato
Enjoy going to the Silverstone weekend and would be sad to see it go, lot's of empty seats around on Sunday this year and tickets for next year are getting a big price increase.

Soldato
I saw an old F1 car there once... back in 97. A Jordan? It couldn't get out of 4th gear. Even then it wasn't flat out.

Saw a couple this year and whilst awesome (dat sound - Piquet Benneton and Alonso Renault! :D) even though they were only demoing they couldn't really shift through the gears much. The whole track is only 1.3 miles as it is :(

Soldato
I wish they would! What's the now is cracking for junior series racing but extending it something like brands would be awesome!

saving grace is we get BSB and BTCC meets one a year :D

Caporegime
I get the impression there isn't a lot of money for the Knockhill owners to play with but it's been many years since I've been. Now that my son has some interest in Motorsport I might take him to the BTCC when they come round.

Back
Top Bottom