is ultrawide really worth it?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I've owned both the PG279Q (What's the BLB on yours like?) and the Acer X34a. The only games I had issues with were some newer Telltale games, and watching films with black bars either side was annoying but Netflix has a Chrome extension to fix that. Other than that the gaming experience was amazing, and if a decent HDR ultrawide comes out i'll probably buy it.

I missed the extra Hz you get from the Asus but not sure this will be an issue with the Alienware.

What monitor do you have now? Do you need to update your sig?

Associate
OP
I've owned both the PG279Q (What's the BLB on yours like?) and the Acer X34a. The only games I had issues with were some newer Telltale games, and watching films with black bars either side was annoying but Netflix has a Chrome extension to fix that. Other than that the gaming experience was amazing, and if a decent HDR ultrawide comes out i'll probably buy it.

I missed the extra Hz you get from the Asus but not sure this will be an issue with the Alienware.

blb on pg279q is pretty good bit in the top right corner but never notice it even with a black desktop background

Associate
As you said, you only have had the Ultrawide monitor for a couple of days. It takes at-least a few weeks to get used to 21:9

And that's not true about competitive FPS. You will find that the majority of Pro Siege players use Ultrawides. And that is a very fast paced skill based FPS game.

But to answer OP's question... Yes Ultrawide is really worth it. I am never going back... 34" ultrawide is the optimal size for normal desk use and IMO is better than having two 27" monitors side by side.
It wasn't about getting use to the aspect ratio. Also, going from 165Hz to 120Hz is something I definitely would not get used to.

Do you have a source for the majority of pro Siege players using ultrawide? I'm not doubting there are certain FPS games that ultrawide would benefit, but I do doubt across most competitive FPS games pro players would trade higher refresh and lower motion blur for the ultrawide aspect.

Associate
This is why I'm going for the Alienware AW3418HW. 34" @ 1080p isn't great, but its fine for my view distance, and it's 166hz.

Brought the ''Alienware AW3418HW'' myself just the other day. Played around with 21.9 in Nvidia CP, and it grows, mind you, be it a QickNDirty approx...i like it. And very reasonably priced, although i have to wait till 22/8 for delivery, which is a pain.

Associate
I have been using a dual monitor setup for a number of years (Dell 2412M 1920x1200) although lately I have been wanting more screen area. Last week ago I purchased an Acer XR382CQK 38" 3840x1600 Curved Ultrawide, which has the same LG panel used in the more expensive LG 38UC99. It's better and more comfortable not having to switch gaze between screens, I can now have coding and browser open side by side on same screen with spare room either side. If you dabble in music production Ableton Live is immense on such a big monitor!

My old graphics card (HD5850) could not power monitor, for now I am using Intel HD 4600 integrated GPU on my 4790K CPU which works perfect. Because I am used to larger text on old monitors, I currently have the Windows 10 scaling set at 120%, but will adjust down to 100% given time.

Soldato
I have tried 29" 21:9 and my latest was a 34" Samsung 21:9 at 3440x1440. Same vertical height of my 1440p monitor I had at the time.

^^^^^ Putting aside my thoughts on the build quality / price etc I just could not get on with a single UW monitor over that of what I now have and that is two 1440p screens, one BenQ 27" and the other Dell 25". If I'm playing a game on the 27" BenQ in full screen I can "monitor" what is happening on do other stuff on the Dell if I need to, shift and tab out of stem to do so if needed.
Some aspects of going UW appealed to me but I just prefer the two screen setup and the versatility that it offers.

Associate
21:9 34" curved Acer + 16:9 24" Acer here.

I'm still considering that I have enough desk room for 2 x 21:9 34" monitors, but the price of 21:9 34" monitors hasn't come down much since I bought the first.

Soldato
When I decided to try a 21:9 my desk just about fitted between a side wall and the chimney breast, it was quite small. A single monitor only was only possible. Putting aside the build quality issues and overall thoughts of the Samsung monitor (34" one) that I bought I decided that 21:9 was not what I wanted. At the same time at coming to that choice an opportunity to move my workstation to another room occurred and so I bought a much larger desk.
The Samsung was returned for various reasons, as much to do with the issues of that particular monitor as well as the aspect ratio, and I ended up buying a Dell U2518D, when I noticed that it was on a special offer from Dell directly.

Both the 1440p BenQ and Dell at 16:9 suits my needs very well, I do appreciate both the aspect ratio and sizes.

@PaulCa - that is exactly what I realised that I did not want :)

Associate
Does the ''Alienware AW3418HW'' have speakers?, i can't find a mention anywhere, although i already brought one. I have a sound bar i planned on using anyway. The boats already sailed i know, and if it does i'm pretty sure they won't be up to much. Thanks.

Associate
Update! thought id'e brought an ''Alienware AW3418HW', paid for, receipt, estimated delivery date (D*ll), then out of the blue, money paid back ito my bank account as (Cash Credit)?, no reference to where it came from. I had to contact bank, thought id'e had a nice windfall . Turns out (D*ll) just dumped the cash back into my account, without not so much as an explanation. Luckily i found the same monitor £20 cheaper including delivery Fri/9, so now i'm £20 in pocket and don't have to wait till 22/8 for a delivery from D*ll. A sort of fairytale ending so to speak.

Associate
I've had my curved 3440x1440 34" ultrawide for just over 2 years now - I LOVE it.

The sense of immersion in my flight simulator and games is amazing. Also, when movies use the full screen without the black bars top and bottom - wow - it's like being in the cinema!!!

Also, as said in previous posts for desktop/productivity it's very practical, great to be able to have applications open side by side - the Windows snapping feature works well for that.

I would find it very hard to go back to 16:9.

Back
Top Bottom