ISIL, ISIS, Daesh discussion thread.

Caporegime
This train of thought is daft.

There is no need for peaceful religion (any) to even discuss chopping limbs off, stoning women, whippings, crucifixions, torture and wars against non believers.

They are all highly effective army amassing tools of war that prey on the weak minded and impressionable. All the Angel had to do was come down and tell everyone to be nice and work together, none of the other banal tedious guff that rambles on for thousands of pages.

I interpreted that to go and plant Daffodils for spring.... What did you see?

What if the religions are a test from God, that even when apparently told to murder and rape by his magic book you are still strong enough not to so you truly are worthy of going to heaven? Do these idiots not even contemplate that?
I don't disagree with anything you've said.

Looking at history, as we've become more enlightened and scientifically aware, we've become more secular and less tied down to religious texts.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Think you've missed amigafan's point...

:cool:

There's not millions of bible bashers still doing that garbage today though is there?

But "millions" of Muslims are :confused: Besides, if you went for a tour around the American deep south you might change that statement - heck, watching an episode of Top Gear might even change your mind!

Looking at history, as we've become more enlightened and scientifically aware, we've become more secular and less tied down to religious texts.

Quite. And let's not forget, before we colluded to depose Assad, Syria was (if not more) as secular as the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I don't know when anyone can say it's the religion of peace when thier holy book has chapters such as:-

If you will not listen to me and carry out all these commands, and if you reject my decrees and abhor my laws and fail to carry out all my commands and so violate my covenant, then I will do this to you: I will bring on you sudden terror, wasting diseases and fever that will destroy your sight and sap your strength...

I will send wild animals against you, and they will rob you of your children, destroy your cattle and make you so few in number that your roads will be deserted...

If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters.

I mean, if you're raised in a society based on those teachings, it's going to influence your thinking in some way isn't it? No wonder they are all predisposed to violence and prejudice.

That has got to be the worst attempt at quoting "a holy book" I've ever seen in my life. Exactly which holy book are you quoting? Because from what I can see it's just a load of random lines from here:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+26

:confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War#Iraq_Body_Count

The numbers vary widely, but all are in the thousands, with some claiming hundreds of thousands. Pick your source.

You despair because you have been proven wrong over and over, and rather than go back and do some reading, you doubled down in your incorrectness. First you didn't read the BBC link and misquoted what you assumed it said, and were shown to be wrong, now you are denying that thousands have been killed, as well as scoffing at former Air Force airmen who have come forward to say what is happening in an incredibly disrespectful and dismissive way. You are a disgrace to the idea of discussion and it is all too easy to show you how you are wrong every step of the way. You try and dismiss it as point scoring but the reality is, even if it was, it says a lot that i'm the only one with points and you have zero, the same amount of credibility you have in this discussion. Nothing.

Good lord, you're citing the Iraq body count figures as the west's doing. So yes, I do despair, I really do. The reason I'm not throwing anything into any discussion with you herf is because it would be fruitless. You don't know what you're talking about and you're quoting second hand data from bias sources, further to which you are massively misinterpreting that data. Just because you said I am being proven wrong doesn't make that the case. Yes I'll dismiss whatever I wish, I simply don't care what you think of me. What I do care about is clueless people making the wrong assumptions about what we do. You're one of those people.

Soldato
Yes damn the Crusaders for setting up prosperous, stable, multi-cultural, tolerant states in the Middle-East :rolleyes:

Christian crusaders from France, wiped out the Cathars in the south of France. En Mass.

It shows when an organised religion leadership oversteps and commits war.

I'm not sure that the 'stability' was all that in the times of the Crusades in the middle east.. certainly a case of the minority in control and oppressive rule. However I think that the majority shouldn't over step their own self appointed righteousness against minorities either.

The fact that you have minority and majority conflict is usually born out of organisations declaring themselves 'right' or 'the true <insert random made up statement here>'.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Soldato
People from 1940 would find this debate utterly incomprehensible! :/
Sorry about some of the spelling and crap "Paint" editing and that it generally didn't turn out right :( I am not used to using photobucket!

German%20Infographic_zpswi8jfepu.png

Caporegime
He seems to be an expert on religion since he knows which forms of Islam are pure so I'm just asking which forms of Christianity are pure. Do you know the answer?

Yes I do - none. Unlike Islam, decoding the meaning behind the teaching of Jesus is open to considerable interpretation. This is one of the reasons why there are so many Christian sects who for the most part maintain constructive links with each other. I don't think that Jesus would think much of anyone who claimed to be 'purer' than someone else - 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'.

Soldato
Syrian opposition meeting in Saudi Arabia, backed by the saudis who say that Assad is a minority and only reform and removal of assad is tolerable.

however..Saudi are also ruled by a nom democratically elected leader. Promoting religious, sex discrimination and are basically far worse and more extreme than Assad.

Who the hell is saudi Arabia to.tell any country how to reform or make demands of any government.

the rebels are on the run anyway, their hand is weaked. I'd rather the saudi reform before Syria...

This exactly. Although I suppose as the heads of the UN Human Rights council, I'm sure that the Saudis are nothing but a beacon of hope in this otherwise oppressed world ...!

Soldato
Yes I do - none. Unlike Islam, decoding the meaning behind the teaching of Jesus is open to considerable interpretation. This is one of the reasons why there are so many Christian sects who for the most part maintain constructive links with each other. I don't think that Jesus would think much of anyone who claimed to be 'purer' than someone else - 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'.

Do you mean do-as-I-say-or-burn-Jesus or another one?

"If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."

What you've just said about Christian sects applies to Islamic sects as well. There is no pure Islam.

Caporegime
Do you mean do-as-I-say-or-burn-Jesus or another one?

"If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."

What you've just said about Christian sects applies to Islamic sects as well. There is no pure Islam.

Muslims believe the Quran in Arabic is the word of God, passed down directly to Mohammed. It is NOT open to interpretation.

Soldato
Muslims believe the Quran in Arabic is the word of God, passed down directly to Mohammed. It is NOT open to interpretation.

Do you read books, scorza? Any text is open to interpretation, particularly religious texts. The Bible is supposed to be the word of God too, passed down directly to his prophets.

Soldato

I've met a lot of Christians who believe the same thing of the Bible. Apparently it's possible to translate a book several times without losing any of its nuance...

Caporegime
Do you read books, scorza? Any text is open to interpretation, particularly religious texts. The Bible is supposed to be the word of God too, passed down directly to his prophets.

The Bible was written by men, lots of different men over a very long time period. It's not even one book - have you ever read it? I mean in whole not selected passages like the one you used above? I'm not an expert of the scriptures but I think you're wrong about it being the word of God passed down directly to his prophets. I know a lot of the New Testament concerns St Paul's letters to various groups of people and he wasn't a prophet - he was an apostle.

Soldato

Pot, kettle, black

The Bible is a collection of writings from various authors written sometimes hundreds of years apart, with parables, advice and dreams, all collected together into one book.

But the quran is only one book, written by one man in his own lifetime. It is meant to be taken literally, and it is not full of symbolism or vague analogies. It is mostly direct commands. Of course the quran contains contradictory statements, just like other religious books, but the quran itself provides the reader with a way to know what to do with the contradictions.

So when most Westerners hear Jihadists quoting violent passages from the quran, and then peaceful Muslims quoting peaceful passages, they interpret that the way they would if someone was quoting the Bible. They think to themselves, “Oh, there must be many different and contradictory passages, like there are in other religious books, so Muslims can pick and choose what they like, and justify whatever actions they want to take”. But the quran is nothing like that. There is no picking and choosing. It says very explicitly and in no uncertain terms that a muslim must not alter or ignore any part of its very clear and direct message, or they will burn in a fiery torment forever.

TL;DR All islam is pure.

Back
Top Bottom