Isn't progress wonderful!

Hey wait 2016, isnt this the year the US navy plans to fit a full sized rail gun to a ship for teatsting?

Indeed it would be quite nice if we get faster flights, it's really boring and frustrating to waste 10 hours or so to get from Europe to North America, even more from Europe to East Asia, Japan or Australia...
10+ hours in wider space isn't better than 5-6 hours in a limited space. The duration of the flight/travel itself contributes to the feel of extreme exhaustion.

About which countries contribute the most, I'd pick Japan.
Japan contributes a lot for the technological progress. They have been developing the TVs/screens to the point that now we can enjoy super high quality of broadcasting and images.
In general, or as a rule, Japanese quality is exceptional, in all types of products, consumer, industrial, etc.

What depresses me is that the 1960s drove a massive amount of innovation with space exploration and that there was so much money available to science, even if the real reason behind it was international willy waving.

Maybe the private sector is the way to go with space exploration and pushing scientific boundaries but it saddens me that it seems to be a low priority for most governments these days. Back then the future must have looked like it had limitless possibilities and that we'd be colonising the moon or Mars. Instead we're all sharing pictures of our breakfast and cats.

In a very serious nature, I feel cheated! :(

Yes, there is a lot of current tech that is amazingly more capable than it was 20-30 years ago.
But!

I look at my PC box, and you know what, It looks just like my PC box of 1995!

And it does all the same things too, A bit of WP, some spreadsheets and, of course, it plays games!

Of course my current box is massively more capable than my box of 20 years ago but what I actually expect it to do hasn't actually changed (advanced?) at all! It just does what I wanted 20 years ago but a bit better!

It doesn't do anything fundamentally new.

And I cannot help but feel that represents of most of what the tech advances advances over the last 20 years or so actually mean.

I've got to say that I disagree with this statement somewhat, PCs themselves do a certain thing, but its the software that you actually work with. and in terms of software from 1995 we have progressed, in terms of gaming graphics from 95, we have progressed. there are things that your current PC can do that your 1995 PC simply wouldn't be able.

spreadsheet software/WP software/ design software/ browsing software has all advanced consistently over the years.
all the advancements have been small changes but you don't fundimentally change something that works do you ?
You wouldn't suddenly start putting a car steering wheel above the drivers head for example, you stick with what works and make small changes with each new iteration.

look at HTPC software/NAS software, ultimately more capable than what was on offer 20 years ago. I know I tried to build a HTPC 20 years ago and ultimately failed because I never got round to making the software work, the machine was built in a SFF case (and even watercooled) I just got bored with the software, nowadays I can have a working HTPC up and running in an hour from start to finish pretty much.

further to that, who says that PCs are actually the future anyway, more and more people are migrating to smartphones and/or tablets.
my phone is now more powerful than the PC I had 10 years ago, let alone 20. and my phone is more powerful than the average persons current PC (judging by the absolute rubbish I see come in to my shop)

BBC have some further coverage of the Boom (unfortunate name) supersonic airliner: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41972529

They reckon they have 70 preorders. Would definitely save to fly on this.

Edit - more generally I think progress is harder to measure these days due to its more intangible qualities. Take microprocessors for example, the uneducated would say they are just the same when in reality there is progress every year.

I've got to say that I disagree with this statement somewhat, PCs themselves do a certain thing, but its the software that you actually work with. and in terms of software from 1995 we have progressed, in terms of gaming graphics from 95, we have progressed. there are things that your current PC can do that your 1995 PC simply wouldn't be able.

spreadsheet software/WP software/ design software/ browsing software has all advanced consistently over the years.
all the advancements have been small changes but you don't fundimentally change something that works do you ?
You wouldn't suddenly start putting a car steering wheel above the drivers head for example, you stick with what works and make small changes with each new iteration.

look at HTPC software/NAS software, ultimately more capable than what was on offer 20 years ago. I know I tried to build a HTPC 20 years ago and ultimately failed because I never got round to making the software work, the machine was built in a SFF case (and even watercooled) I just got bored with the software, nowadays I can have a working HTPC up and running in an hour from start to finish pretty much.

further to that, who says that PCs are actually the future anyway, more and more people are migrating to smartphones and/or tablets.
my phone is now more powerful than the PC I had 10 years ago, let alone 20. and my phone is more powerful than the average persons current PC (judging by the absolute rubbish I see come in to my shop)

Can you run Crysis on your smartphone?
Anyways, graphics from year 1995 has indeed progressed but after Crysis/Crysis 2/Crysis 3 (released back in February 2013, 5 years ago), currently there are no games with better graphics.
Instead, you have similar graphics in the best case, and much higher hardware requirements, which is a regress.

Back
Top Bottom