• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It looks like the 'real' /affordable RDNA3 + next gen NV desktop launch won't launch until September. Thoughts?

Soldato
Nvidia and AMD are busy launching profitable new GPUs for laptops /lower power devices at the moment.

If you're an enthusiast with lots of £££ to spend at the moment, no doubt you will have looked at buying one of the high tier cards announced already.

It looks like cheaper/easier to produce GPUs from both companies won't appear until early or late March.

I doubt there will be much fanfare prior to these launches.

One thing that seems quite positive about these launches so far, is that it looks like AMD isn't increasing prices from RDNA2>RDNA3

The 6900 XT MSRP was 999 dollars:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-6900-xt.c3481

The 7900 XT MSRP is 899 dollars:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7900-xt.c3912

The 6950 XT MSRP was 1,099 dollars:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-6950-xt.c3875

The 7900 XTX MSRP is 999 dollars:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7900-xtx.c3941

Last edited:
Associate
The prices aren't bad when looked at in isolation, but that's forgetting that the 6900XT was derided upon launch for offering terrible price/performance when compared to the 6800 XT and RTX 3080.

The name may have changed but the 7900 XT is basically an x800 series card, so the MSRP has increased by £250 since last gen, a near 40% increase. The XTX is equivalent to the 6900 XT as I'm quite certain there'll be a 7950 XTX at some point later in this generations lifespan.

Having bought a Samsung S95B 55" over the weekend (my first OLED screen aside from my phone, and bugger me if it isn't a game changer!) I would like more performance for 4K 120Hz but I just don't see the value in the newest offerings. If they come down by 20% then my internet would be really piqued (fighting the temptation to get a Nitro XTX was hard, but spending less on this TV has made a bigger impact than that would have).

Soldato
OP
Not really. The RX 7900 series cards use the top teir Navi31 dies, so I'd say the naming scheme makes sense.

There was never a big distinction between x800 and x900 series cards anyway. It's all just marketing.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm in the market for two cards, probably this year.

1) Nvidia, just because it's easiest and best supported, for my partner's gaming/twitch-streaming machine (5800x3d/64GB/2070S). That 2070S is showing its age and is probably due an upgrade. 4070Ti is a candidate for this, perhaps if the price 'settles' a little .
2) AMD, because I want to turn my 'workstation' (5950x/64GB/1070Ti) into a hackintosh. Exactly which card depends on support from apple, and currently that seems to be 6600 series and 68/6900 series cards.

But there's no hurry to any of this.
I'm kinda/sorta hoping in a few months apple will add support for some 7 series cards, but also the performance probably doesn't matter that much and I don't game on this workstation, so probably I should just get a cheap 6600 and be done with it.
If the 2070S really starts dragging its feet in newer games I'll swap her for the 2080Ti I keep in my gaming/HTPC box, that I use infrequently. Its last workload was me finally getting round to playing "Untitled Goose Game" last week :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Not really. The RX 7900 series cards use the top teir Navi31 dies, so I'd say the naming scheme makes sense.

There was never a big distinction between x800 and x900 series cards anyway. It's all just marketing.
Both the 6800xt and 6900xt both used the Navi21 die though didn't they? I agree the 7900xt should really have been called a 7800xt but if AMD did they and priced it as £899 then there would have been an even greater uproar. Problem we and AMD have now is going off the leaked specs, the 7800xt looks like its going to offer pretty much the same performance as the current 6800xt/6900xt. Not good if it ends up costing ~£700

Soldato
I'm more liable to hold out hoping for a Super refresh and consequently a pricing re-adjustment, overall besides the 4090 the other cards aren't that tempting due to prices. Tbh tho there's so much GPU power available, it's much more a case of CPUs needing to catch up rather than being desperate for more TF (at least for me being capped at 120hz). Unfortunately even the 7800X3D doesn't look like it will quench that thirst, and Intel is away on vacation for another 2 years or thereabouts, so not sure when exactly we'll get much more powerful gaming CPUs.

Soldato
OP
I'm more liable to hold out hoping for a Super refresh and consequently a pricing re-adjustment, overall besides the 4090 the other cards aren't that tempting due to prices. Tbh tho there's so much GPU power available, it's much more a case of CPUs needing to catch up rather than being desperate for more TF (at least for me being capped at 120hz). Unfortunately even the 7800X3D doesn't look like it will quench that thirst, and Intel is away on vacation for another 2 years or thereabouts, so not sure when exactly we'll get much more powerful gaming CPUs.
I think you will only need a v-cache CPU for high framerates (over 60). I guess you are more likely to benefit from a faster CPU in games that support frame generation.

Loads of gamers only have monitors that can do 60-70 herts (especially true for high resolution monitors). So, v-cache and CPU clock speeds over 5ghz aren't going to matter to them very much.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
the problem is even a 4060 non Ti is going to be quite pricey and im not sure the 7800 xt / 7700 XT will be anything to rave about
This generation of desktop GPUs is all about frame gen. For some this just won't appeal to them, they will only be interested in higher framerates at native resolution.

But it's also the direction of console games as well (as this is pretty much the only way they will manage 60 FPS at 4K, or close). I think any games that are ports from console games will support frame gen, probably through FSR 3. It's pretty likely that Unreal Engine 5 games will support it also.

From what I've seen so far, the results seem better than upscaling techs like DLSS 2 and FSR 2 (which are still rendering at lower resolutions). It maybe isn't ideal for taking pretty screenshots, but I don't think I am likely to notice it during gameplay.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
the 7800xt looks like its going to offer pretty much the same performance as the current 6800xt/6900xt. Not good if it ends up costing ~£700
I'm expecting it to be about as fast as a 6800 (non XT) which has 60 Compute Units, but with a higher GPU boost clock (Clocks over 2600mhz would surprise me). Also, there's some other factors to take into account...

The RT will be faster than RDNA2.

EDIT - the TFlop count should be double compared to an RDNA2 GPU with 60 CUs (it seems very similar to what Nvidia did with Ampere). So, that should push it a bit beyond the 6800 XT.

On RDNA 3, it looks like you calculate the FP32 performance by multiplying the GPU boost clock by the number of shading units. Then multiplying that number by 4.
For the 7900 XT, that equals 51.48 TFlops.

For a 60 CU Navi32 GPU clocked at 2600 Mhz, with 3840 shader units, it would be 9.984 x 4 = 39.9 TFlops.

Or if it was clocked at 2500 Mhz, it would be 38.4 TFlops.

Basically, nearly double the FP32 processing power of the 6800 XT (20.74 TFlops).

Looking at the specs of the 7900 XTX, it has double the FP16 performance (122.8 TFlops) compared to FP32 performance, which notably puts it ahead of the RTX 4090 in this particular area.
Specs here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7900-xtx.c3941

Last edited:
Associate
Problem we and AMD have now is going off the leaked specs, the 7800xt looks like its going to offer pretty much the same performance as the current 6800xt/6900xt. Not good if it ends up costing ~£700

Exactly. It will be like the Turing series all over again, same performance, faster RT.

The distinction was the price. The 6800 and 6900 XT were closer in performance than the 7900 XT/XTX, and yet the price gap was far larger.

Soldato
OP
The other interesting thing about the '7800 XT' is that it will probably have a 256bit memory bus, not a 192bit bus as speculated by techpowerup.

This is based on the specs posted for Navi32 on Angstonomics:

Thus matters, because that would mean that the total memory bandwidth would almost certainly be higher than the RX 6800 XT (not lower), due to higher clocked GDDR6 memory (that we've seen on other RDNA3 GPUs).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I also think there's definitely room for a slightly cut down version of the RX 7900 XT in the RDNA 3 line up, e.g. the 'RX 7900' which will be based on Navi31, and have a 384bit memory bus, and probably the same memory bandwidth as the 7900 XT, with 80MB infinity cache also. It would likely compete directly with the RTX 4070 TI, and probably cost a bit less, hopefully with an MSRP of around $800 or less.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well the 7900XT should have been the 7800XT resulting in an effective price bump this gen. I don't think the next tier of cards to release will be anything to rave about from a performance standpoint, unless maybe you're stuck on something like a Vega 64 ;)

Soldato
OP
Well the 7900XT should have been the 7800XT
Doesn't make sense, because Navi31 is the fastest RDNA3 die that AMD can offer. It's not like they are going to be able to release more GPUs called the 7900 series later, if they'd done as you suggest. But keep dreaming :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom