• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It looks like the 'real' /affordable RDNA3 + next gen NV desktop launch won't launch until September. Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
Quite a few used rx 6800 cards went for <£400 on an auction site back in October 2022. Fingers crossed that more become available again.

Last edited:
Associate
CB keep tracking prices. I'm sure other sites do it too and their chart only goes back to July 2022 (although I'm sure they've been doing this longer).

However, remove the newbies, I got something like this:
DPFe5aQ.png
A bit noisy with so many cards, but average by vendor shows similar:
rCcbXEC.png
Basicaly, since Sept to Nov prices have crept back up. (Just noticed that this chart is showing 794 above 836 so ignore the lines and focus on the numbers.

Soldato
OP
I think the thing people should be angry about is the cost of Nvidia cards released >2 years ago, like the RTX 3080:

There's been no price drop since the launch of the RTX 4070 TI, in RTX 3000 series GPUs.

The new card is simply faster, and only costs a bit more (not that £800 is affordable either).

RTX 3070 TIs are going for £600-£700. Huge rip off compared to the MSRP price.

£700-£1400 for a 'new' RTX 3080 10GB

£800+ for a used RTX 3080 TI.

The prices of Ampere cards have stayed high, and are going to push up next gen prices too (both AMD and NVIDIA).

They could probably quickly sell off any remaining cards at a fixed MSRP price, but NVIDIA would rather drag it out, and keep selling customers old technology.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the thing people should be angry about is the cost of Nvidia cards released >2 years ago, like the RTX 3080:

There's been no price drop since the launch of the RTX 4070 TI, in RTX 3000 series GPUs.

The new card is simply faster, and only costs a bit more (not that £800 is affordable either).

RTX 3070 TIs are going for £600-£700. Huge rip off compared to the MSRP price.

£700-£1400 for a 'new' RTX 3080 10GB

£800+ for a used RTX 3080 TI.

The prices of Ampere cards have stayed high, and are going to push up next gen prices too (both AMD and NVIDIA).

They could probably quickly sell off any remaining cards at a fixed MSRP price, but NVIDIA would rather drag it out, and keep selling customers old technology.

People are angry about that though

The new cards have artificially inflated prices and lower tier cards named above spec to lesson the blow in order to keep previous gen cards high

Soldato
OP
Nvidia can set prices from the previous generation (Ampere) at whatever they like (as long as it's profitable). They haven't tried to enforce the MSRP prices of these cards, instead they've given up, and shifted focus onto the RTX 4000 series.

Soldato
OP
All I can say, is that modern graphics cards clearly weren't meant for us Brits. The situation is better in the US, because there is more competition between mega retailers /E-tailors, more discounts, tax rebates, and in some cases, no sales tax at all.

And so, AMDNVIDIA pricing policy is set for the US market, it's not for the likes of you :)

They probably only produce enough to sell to the US anyway.

Is it for the likes of EU though?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not pretty pricing trend graphs for the RX 6800, 6800 XT and RTX 3080.

You'll have to google for 'pc part picker price trend graphics cards' cause I can't link them here:

The worst has been the average RX 6800 XT prices, which have increased since the card launched.

Prices of the RTX 3070 TI seem pretty poor also, especially relative to RTX 3080 prices. Can't see anyone buying this card new.

I think it's fair to say that AMD hasn't really brought the pain to Nvidia.

The only card that's really competed on price is the 6700 XT.

The only other one that might still be relevant is the RX 6800, but that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Latest rumours are suggesting the 7800xt whilst only have 60 CUs will be clocked quite a bit higher than the 7900 cards and actually come in pretty close performance wise. Time will tell I guess.

Soldato
OP
Latest rumours are suggesting the 7800xt whilst only have 60 CUs will be clocked quite a bit higher than the 7900 cards and actually come in pretty close performance wise. Time will tell I guess.
I'm not going to hold my breath, as they've said nothing about these cards.

EDIT - but yes, in theory I think the numbers look quite good. I think it will have a better memory bus than is predicted by Techpowerup. I think probably fairly high clocked GDDR6 as well.

Last edited:
Associate
RX 6750 XT and 6800 (non XT) were also pretty close. The 2nd best thing the 6800 had (the best is the 16GB), is that due to not having been clocked like crazy it had the best perf/watt of any card last gen.

Don't like that everything is clocked so close to the max nowadays but then that trend is hardly going to change, is it?

Soldato
OP
I tend to like higher clocked cards, in the past at least, mid tier cards with higher clocks tended to represent better value. There are so many different (but similar) models and variants now though, that I don't think it matters much.

Soldato
6800xt and 6900xt only had something like 10% difference in most scenarios which made the 6900xt a silly decision considering its cost. Imagine if it is a similar situation with the 7800xt and 7900xt, would make sense for AMD to release the higher tier cards first this time round.

I doubt this will be the case but we can hope right...?

Soldato
OP
6800xt and 6900xt only had something like 10% difference in most scenarios which made the 6900xt a silly decision considering its cost. Imagine if it is a similar situation with the 7800xt and 7900xt, would make sense for AMD to release the higher tier cards first this time round.

I doubt this will be the case but we can hope right...?

The difference this time, is that the RX 7900 XT and 'RX 7800 XT' are based on different GPU dies, Navi31 and Navi32 respectively.

We also know that the 7900 XT has 24 more Compute units than the top Navi32 GPU.

But a high clock rate for the 7800 XT wouldn't surprise me at all.

I also think that these chips should be easier to mass produce than Navi31. The GCD on Nav32 is ~200 mm², vs a GCD of 300 mm² on Nav31.

I think a RX 7900 (non XT) seems quite likely later this year also, perhaps with 8 less compute units than the RX 7800 XT.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I don't think prices will come down for higher tier GPUs (Navi21 and GA102) until most of the low-mid tier current generation GPUs have been sold, so could be a several months away.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It does seem like AMD wants to focus on beefed up versions of Navi31 ('Navi31 XT+' and 'Navi31 XTX+') for this die, unfortunately:

Some pretty mega performance numbers, that could end up with the RTX 4090 being overtaken (but ofc Nvidia will have an RTX 4090 TI planned).

But that would depend on very high clock rates that might not be achievable.

So, no sign of a trimmed down Navi31 GPU for now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom