• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It looks like the 'real' /affordable RDNA3 + next gen NV desktop launch won't launch until September. Thoughts?

Associate
Do you think we will get Navi33 graphics cards in April?

No sign of Navi32 yet, not sure these are production ready.

But Navi33 is definitely shipping out in mobile devices. Can't say that's exciting for PC gaming, but it might be all we get.
hard to get excited by the N33 when the N22 will likely have a very similar cost, and come with:

12GB mem / 192bit bus
96MB infinity cache
more transistors
similar performance.

price better be [very] competive, i.e. closer to £250 for the fully-enabled variant - or i might as well pick up an N22 for ~£300.

Soldato
OP
RTX 3000 series FE cards have finally been removed from Nvidia's shop websites:

Seems like good news.

Does anyone know what date Nvidia stopped selling RTX 2000 series FE cards on their website?

Last edited:
Soldato
hard to get excited by the N33 when the N22 will likely have a very similar cost, and come with:

12GB mem / 192bit bus
96MB infinity cache
more transistors
similar performance.

price better be [very] competive, i.e. closer to £250 for the fully-enabled variant - or i might as well pick up an N22 for ~£300.

I'm thinking the best card AMD are going to release is just going to be something that matches a 6950 for £600 - no thanks. And at that, as you suggest a cut down card.

Soldato
OP
There's a possibility of a further cut down Navi31 card being released, as a successor to the 6800XT.

It doesn't seem like the yields for Navi31 have been that good (so far), but for a cut down chip, they may be improved.

It'd guess the MSRP would be about the same as the RX 6800 XT (UK MSRP was ~£600), probably with a similar amount of Compute Units.

Even with fewer CUs than the RX 7900 XT, it seems likely this hypothetical card would be competitive with the RTX 4070 TI.

Last edited:
Soldato
I want 7800XT performance for £500-£600. I'm not moving off that now, glad I decided against getting a 6800XT now tbh. 6700XT to 6800XT just wasn't a big enough jump for me.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
OP
March was quite an optimistic estimate, the production of RDNA3 GPUs (mobile or desktop) hasn't been sufficient so far. Prices coming down though for Navi31, so maybe in 2-3 months for AMD.

For Nvidia, looks like mid/end of April - not sure if there will be 1 or 2 new cards at this point.

On the Nvidia side, it's possible to buy high end chips like this in laptops:

Which is an AD104 GPU.

For the last gen, we saw quite powerful desktop and mobile GPUs based on GA104 (the RTX 3070 TI and RTX 3080 mobile both maxed out the shader count), so it will be a similar story for this generation.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's interesting to look at what different TSMC fabrication processes achieved when comparing Intel, AMD and Nvidia graphics cards:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/arc-a750.c3929
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-4090.c3889
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7900-xtx.c3941

Intel's Alchemist GPUs have transistor densities of 53.4 million transistors per mm², using TSMC's 6nm fab. process. This is similar to what we saw from last generation RDNA2 and Ampere GPUs.

'Ampere Next' GPUs have transistor densities upto 125.5 million transistors per mm² using TSMC's 4nm fab process.

RDNA3 achieved the highest transistor densities on the GCD itself, with transistor densities of 150.2 million transistors per mm² using TSMC's 5nm fab process.

If Intel's Arc Battlemage GPUs use either the 'Intel 4' or 'Intel 20A' fabrication processes, there's likely to be a huge improvement in transistor density, vs Arc gen 1 GPUs. So, Battlemage could end up being a hugely scaled up version of it's predecessor, potentially at a similar TDP of around 225w, or more if they opt to use GDDR6X. I'd guess that the 'Intel 4' process would be the more likely choice for Battlemage, as it's more likely to be ready by Q3-Q4 2024.

It's a fair bet that intel opted for TSMC's 6nm process for Alchemist GPUs, because the manufacturing cost is significantly lower, than more advanced processes like 5 and 4nm. EDIT - Intel said the decision to use an external fab. was also down to their available manufacturing capacity.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd guess that the 'Intel 4' process would be the more likely choice for Battlemage, as it's more likely to be ready by Q3-Q4 2024.

Battelmage is supposed to be ready in Q1-Q2 2024 though isn't it? Seems unlikely they'd use a node that's not going to be ready until after they appear to be attempting to launch the cards...

Back
Top Bottom