• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It looks like the 'real' /affordable RDNA3 + next gen NV desktop launch won't launch until September. Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
True but i had assumed when i initially said "why anyone, even someone who has an existing PC, would buy a graphics card when they could just buy a console" that people would assume i was talking about new/newly released cards.

Having to tell someone who may want to get into gaming on their PC that they should try to buy a two and a half year old graphics card or look for something on the 2nd hand market kind of sucks, dare i say it's a little embarrassing.
Well, I guess AMD is not quite there yet, in terms of offering something definitely value better than the Series X.

Another 10% drop in prices, then I think the case for getting an AMD card will be clearer.

I think a 'fair price' for the RX 6800 is £400 new, and £300 for the RX 6700 XT.

On the other hard, the current price difference is just £30, so not a massive deal really...

Last edited:
Soldato
Caporegime
Isn't it 8gb ?

It is, that was a sugestion rather than stating a fact :)

Permabanned
Isn't it 8gb ?

i wouldn't put money on it but i would think 8gb, ram IC's is an easy way to save cash. and on a base level GPU 8gb is about right 4070ti is 8gb

Soldato
OP
not sure where AMD go with the 7600 pricing, now the 4060 is 299, depends how much better the 7600 is, the 4060 has efficiency and dlss on its side for those lower res.
£250-£260, about the same price as the last gen 32 CU GPU. But with FSR2 + 3.

I would imagine this card will offer similar efficiency to Nvidia's.

8GB not really a surprise this tier of cards, given that this is what we saw with NAVI33 on laptops.

Last edited:
Soldato
So basically the same price as consoles. Kind of makes me wonder why anyone, even someone who has an existing PC, would buy a graphics card when they could just buy a console.
Because PCs are monstrously more capable than consoles. It really is that simple. And also speaking as someone who has tried a Pro console last time around and that was my first foray into the console world (more or less) I was completely disappointed by the supposed 'bespoke' nature it was famed for and in reality it just functioned as an underpowered gaming PC at best where you had no recourse for fixing a badly running game, which unfortunately happened often enough. So ultimately it's a discounted machine but you don't actually save anything as a result because you're getting a worse experience (not to mention everything else possible on the PC).
Really, consoles are an alternative to the tech ignorant (and I don't mean that as an insult; most people simply don't know & don't care to find out all the info on tech), but if you're on a forum like this and you're even moderately knowledgeable about PCs, then "saving" a few quid in order to severely downgrade how you spend your time is frankly idiotic and pointless. The real question is why would anyone who knows anything about PCs buy a console instead of a PC. There's just no scenario in which it makes sense besides the one where their favourite game/series is console-exclusive.

Soldato
..consoles are an alternative to the tech ignorant (and I don't mean that as an insult; most people simply don't know & don't care to find out all the info on tech)
Indeed but try explaining to the afore mentioned person, without it being taken as an insult, who said they're about to buy a console why they should spend that money on a graphics card instead.

Because it's cheaper, nope.
Because they'll get a much better experience for just a couple of hundred $ more, nope.

Last edited:
Associate
Indeed but try explaining to the afore mentioned person, without it being taken as an insult, who said they're about to buy a console why they should spend that money on a graphics card instead.

Because it's cheaper, nope.
Because they'll get a much better experience for just a couple of hundred $ more, nope.
plus cheaper pre owned games:p

Soldato
OP
Because PCs are monstrously more capable than consoles. It really is that simple. And also speaking as someone who has tried a Pro console last time around and that was my first foray into the console world (more or less) I was completely disappointed by the supposed 'bespoke' nature it was famed for and in reality it just functioned as an underpowered gaming PC at best where you had no recourse for fixing a badly running game, which unfortunately happened often enough. So ultimately it's a discounted machine but you don't actually save anything as a result because you're getting a worse experience (not to mention everything else possible on the PC).
Really, consoles are an alternative to the tech ignorant (and I don't mean that as an insult; most people simply don't know & don't care to find out all the info on tech), but if you're on a forum like this and you're even moderately knowledgeable about PCs, then "saving" a few quid in order to severely downgrade how you spend your time is frankly idiotic and pointless. The real question is why would anyone who knows anything about PCs buy a console instead of a PC. There's just no scenario in which it makes sense besides the one where their favourite game/series is console-exclusive.

I'd just like to add that being able to upgrade your system is a massive benefit. If you like you can stick in a low end /used graphics card (or use an iGPU) then upgrade to something much more powerful when you need to/can afford to. Then upgrade again, as new hardware is released. The same applies to CPUs, particularly on the AM5 platform, and the upcoming Meteor Lake platform (whatever the LGA socket is called).

Also, if a part like a GPU, fan or power supply breaks, it's generally pretty easy to replace that part.

Last edited:
Associate

I don't see ratchet and clank on PC and ff16 is a ps5 exclusive.

Regards to ratchet and clank, it looks and runs amazing and looks better then cyberpunk oh and it's a better game then it.

Associate
Honestly I prefer gaming on my PS5, I love the ecosystem and ease of play, I love Sony exclusives and although I used to have a PC in the living room, its too much hassle and it belongs in my office. I do still game a fair amount on it and its a decent spec (5900X and 6800) but I do still prefer the PS5.

I think a lot of people like me exist, maybe its an age thing, but given I have been a software dev for over 25 years and have lived and breathed Tech since I was a little boy, I don't think Tech ignorant is a fair choice of words.

PS Steam Deck is great also :)

Last edited:
Soldato
What do we think the price structure will be?

7600 XT = £350
7700 XT = £500
7800 XT = £600?

I was originally thinking of getting a pair of 7800 XTs but it depends on performance given the £750 price point of the 7900 XT. Power might factor in too since I have now idea what rating my wife's PSU is. :D

Soldato
OP
Not sure that a 7600 XT is needed. Unless they wanna pack it full of VRAM? Not sure if worth it...

Hopefully ~£400 for a 7700 XT, it would smash Nvidia's offerings at that price, especially if there's 12 or 16GB of VRAM.

I don't think they should charge much more than the 6700 XT (~£350, cheapest I've seen is £333), which is pretty much the most cost effective GPU at the moment.

Probably £550-£600 for a 7800 (60 CUs, maxing out Navi32).

No need for a 7800 XT (yet).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom