• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It looks like the 'real' /affordable RDNA3 + next gen NV desktop launch won't launch until September. Thoughts?

It's a powercolor overclocked model so of course the PSU requirement is higher than an amd founders card. That's not rocket science

As for the core count, I spose they could be wrong but this is not a Twitter leaker that can say anything, it's an AMD board partner accidentally releasing specs early for an unannounced product on their website, so it's 100 times more likely to be correct than anything coming from someone like MLID
There's PSU requirement being higher and then there's PSU requirements being higher than at least the model of card above it in the stack.

Just because it's an AMD partner it does exclude that they just used placeholder specs.

Those specs don't pass the sniff test for me personally, 60 Compute Units on the 7800 XT when the 6800 XT has 72 and the 7900 XT has 84 seems wrong, 60 CU is what I'd expect on a 7800 non-XT card.

And then there's the weird PSU requirements, the 7900 XT has a TDP of 300W with recommendation of a 700W PSU but the 7800 XT has the same 300W TDP with a recommended PSU of 800W.

Maybe it clocks close to 3GHZ under gaming conditions? If not AMD is trying to fail badly here.

Who knows, personally i tend to ignore most leaks as they're invariably wrong most of the time.

I guess time will tell, isn't it rumoured to be released/announced at gamescom so end of this month?

e: I will say though that if those are the specs for the 7800 XT that will be a big Ooof as wouldn't it be slower than the previous gen 6800 XT.

Last edited:
I'm going to be upgrading my aging 1080 sometime around May next year.

Not sure which card I'm getting, I'm building a new rig for PC VR before the end of this year.

I was originally thinking of pairing a 7800X3D with a 7900XT, but if I do that I'll end up with a GPU bottleneck, I THINK?

So now I'm thinking about a 7600X and a 7900XT. But if I get a 7800XT instead, I'll probably end up with a GPU bottleneck.

How accurate are these bottleneck calculators?

I'm planning on supersampling my VR games, but until I get the actual hardware, I've no idea how far I can push it.

If you are going to spend money (to play games), I'd spend it on the GPU first, in most games that will help you to achieve the highest min. framerate.

The higher the resolution, the more you will be GPU bottlenecked.

Ray tracing can be CPU intensive also, but for that you may want an expensive Nvidia GPU anyway, like the 4080/4090.

Personally, wouldn't spend a lot on a CPU now, as Zen 5 CPUs will be out next year, even the 6 core model will probably end up 20% faster.

An 8 core Vcache might be worth it if you can get a cheaper one 2nd hand.

You could wait to see if pre built systems with RX 7900 GRE graphics cards installed are affordable, I imagine AMD will want to sell these mostly with Zen 4 CPUs.

Last edited:

Not sure which card I'm getting, I'm building a new rig for PC VR before the end of this year.

I was originally thinking of pairing a 7800X3D with a 7900XT, but if I do that I'll end up with a GPU bottleneck, I THINK?

So now I'm thinking about a 7600X and a 7900XT. But if I get a 7800XT instead, I'll probably end up with a GPU bottleneck.

I'm planning on supersampling my VR games, but until I get the actual hardware, I've no idea how far I can push it.
They’re not very accurate. One of those suggested my 5800x3d is a 30% bottleneck for my 7900XT at 1440p lol.

I wouldn't go under 8 cores especially with the PS5 Pro next year. Also Microsoft is not releasing a refresh so could release a successor to the XBox Series X sooner rather than later.

Early performance review of the RX 7900 (GRE) here:

It's ahead of the RTX 4070 in raster, but sometimes behind in ray tracing.

It tends to do better at higher resolutions than the NV card.

Just looking thought the AMD slides in that, one claims "Up to 50% RT performance improvement per CU" so i looked at TPU Cyberpunk, the 7900XT which has 5% more CU's than the 6900XT is 35% faster, so +30%, i can't see any results better than that.

30% better RT per CU is nothing to be sniffed at, but its a far cry from +50%.

Last edited:
Just looking thought the AMD slides in that, one claims "Up to 50% performance improvement per CU" so i looked at TPU Cyberpunk, the 7900XT which has 5% more CU's is 35% faster, so +30%, i can't see any results better than that.

+30% better RT per CU is nothing to be sniffed at, but its a far cry from +50%.
The up to 50% claim probably comes from the doubling of throughput of each CU, IIRC it only applies to FP32 or something though so while it's a technical doubling you'd need ideal circumstances to make full use of it.

Looks like the last gen is selling better at a discount.

Graphics Cards Retail Sales Week 31 2023 (mf)

Units/share:
AMD: 1730 units sold, 51.56%, ASP: 510 (euro)
Nvidia: 1615, 48.14%, ASP: 764
Intel: 10, 0.3%, ASP: 248

Revenue/share:
AMD: revenue 881790, 41.63%
Nvidia: 1233956, 58.25%
Intel: 2480, 0.12%

Bestsellers:
1. XFX Radeon RX 6700 XT Speedster SWFT 309 Core Gaming
2. XFX Radeon RX 6950 XT Speedster MERC 319 Black Gaming
3. MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X OC

Last edited:
Looks like the last gen is selling better at a discount.

Graphics Cards Retail Sales Week 31 2023 (mf)

Units/share:
AMD: 1730 units sold, 51.56%, ASP: 510 (euro)
Nvidia: 1615, 48.14%, ASP: 764
Intel: 10, 0.3%, ASP: 248

Revenue/share:
AMD: revenue 881790, 41.63%
Nvidia: 1233956, 58.25%
Intel: 2480, 0.12%

Bestsellers:
Next gen (RX 7900XT/XTX) is also selling at a discount but not included in figures.

Last edited:
ASP of Nvidia 50% higher than AMD, yet the 3060 is the highest selling Nvidia card.

Must be chunking out a fair few 4080 / 4090 to push that ASP up.

Bestsellers:

[/SPOILER]
£560 inc VAT seems like an OK price for the RX6950XT.

EDIT - nvm, that's from a dodgy amazon seller by the looks of things.

Last edited:

A GPU "bottleneck" is what you want; 99% performance consistently at unlocked frames. The only time your GPU should run below 99% is with a frame cap that you yourself have chosen out of personal preference - e.g. Vsync enabled or 2 fps below monitor max refresh in order to force Freesync/VRR.

Your CPU should never be 99%; that's the bottleneck you don't want.

A GPU "bottleneck" is what you want; 99% performance consistently at unlocked frames. The only time your GPU should run below 99% is with a frame cap that you yourself have chosen out of personal preference - e.g. Vsync enabled or 2 fps below monitor max refresh in order to force Freesync/VRR.

Your CPU should never be 99%; that's the bottleneck you don't want.

Brilliant, thanks for that!

you will want a 7800X3D for the good 1% lows (very important for PCVR) and a GPU appropriate for the VR display resolution i.e. if its high res then you want the fastest you can afford but if its a Quest then you can come down the tiers

FSR3 eta s0n

I think they need to find a way to implement this frame gen tech without requiring support from each game developer /title.

Ideally, just get it working with all FSR2 games.

Last edited:
The up to 50% claim probably comes from the doubling of throughput of each CU, IIRC it only applies to FP32 or something though so while it's a technical doubling you'd need ideal circumstances to make full use of it.

We saw that with Nvidia as well. Offering huge performance per SM increases with rtx3000 but it's fp32, in reality you cannincrease fp32 performance by 100% and that only makes games run 20-30% faster

What it does do is make mining run really really fast that's why rtx3000 created the mining boom

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom