• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It looks like the 'real' /affordable RDNA3 + next gen NV desktop launch won't launch until September. Thoughts?

So, finally what looks like credible news on Navi32 GPUs:

Top product is 60 CUs, so perhaps ~20% faster than a RX 6800. Maybe close to RX 6900 XT but only with super high GPU clocks (clockspeeds unknown).

It seems a pretty good bet that they will launch these cards alongside FSR3 as this will significantly boost sales, so I reckon it will be September for both launches.

It's hard to see much appeal to the 60 CU variant without offering FSR3 - Which I think it will be exclusive to RDNA3 cards. I guess they should run reasonably cool also?

Maybe there will be price cuts to the RX 7900 series cards by then, also.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a Navi31 70 CU consumer GPU version, as the 70 CU dies seem quite limited, and it's hard to see how it would fit in with the pricing structure.

Last edited:
So, finally what looks like credible news on Navi32 GPUs:

Top product is 60 CUs, so perhaps ~20% faster than a RX 6800. Maybe close to RX 6900 XT but only with super high GPU clocks (clockspeeds unknown).

It seems a pretty good bet that they will launch these cards alongside FSR3 as this will significantly boost sales, so I reckon it will be September for both launches.

It's hard to see much appeal to the 60 CU variant without offering FSR3 - Which I think it will be exclusive to RDNA3 cards. I guess they should run reasonably cool also?

Maybe there will be price cuts to the RX 7900 series cards by then, also.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a Navi31 70 CU consumer GPU version, as the 70 CU dies seem quite limited, and it's hard to see how it would fit in with the pricing structure.
I'm inclined to agree. Sort of...

The Pro W7800 is now launched, its listed here as having 57 Billion Transistors, that's Navi 31. its a cut down Navi 31 with 70 CUs, full is 96 CUs.

TPU now have Navi 32 listed with 64 CUs and a 7800 (None XT) with 60 CUs, it could be an RX 7800, not XT, so an RX 6800 replacement.

Given the 7900XT has 84 CUs there is large gap, its actually the same configuration as the RX 6800 but should be 20% faster, or about equal to an RX 6800XT, or an RTX 4070, if they drop this for $579 that's not good at all, given the RTX 4070 is $599 and IMO over priced, $30 less for a card that trades blows with it, no...... that's ####!

If its $499, ok, i'll bite

The truth is no one knows what is going on, i think Navi 32 is AMD's best kept secrete, different people say its a different thing, MLID say its 60 CU and called the RX 7800XT, TPU have Navi 32 listed as 64 CU's and they do have a 60 CU GPU listed but call it the RX 7800 none XT.

I other words, we don't know.

Last edited:
I should read what was said instead of the VideoCards interpretation of what was said, the latter is different to what was said.

This would make more sense, i get the feeling AMD are not happy with RDNA 3 and just want to be done with it, i can see them just filling out the mid range with a couple of GPU's, RX 7700 12GB and RX 7800 16GB, both none XT, 48 and 60 CUs i think..... and that's it, done with it all.

Judging by the naming they might be quite cheap, by that i mean compared to Nvidia's offerings, or AMD might come over all stupid again...

FrdgHXk.jpg

Calling the 60 CU part the RX 7800 would make sense.

A 64 CU part seems unlikely, Angstronomics reported the top Navi32 GPU to have 60 CUs.

Calling the 60 CU part the RX 7800 would make sense.

A 64 CU part seems unlikely, Angstronomics reported the top Navi32 GPU to have 60 CUs.

Which contradicts TPU reporting on Navi 32, i do think TPU are wrong, it is 60 CU.

But then again Navi 32 is meat to be 200mm, two thirds the size of Navi 31 at 304mm, 2/3 of 96 CUs is...... 64 CUs. :cry:

Well, I'd say this GPU makes a lot of sense:

It's nice that it's a Navi31 design, but basically cut down. I guess they thought Navi32 just wouldn't offer enough of an improvement vs the last gen.

It should be ahead of the RTX 4070 in performance (therefore RTX 3080 also). And it has a reasonable amount of VRAM.

The RTX 4070 TI is going to look pretty expensive compared to the RX 7900 (that's what I'm calling it).

I guess they're nearly done with RDNA3 releases now.

I imagine some gamers will still want a Navi32 successor to the RX 6700 XT as well.

The spec of the RX 7900 looks fairly similar to the RX 7900 XT, but the memory bandwidth is lower:

The performance should be pretty decent in theory.

Last edited:
Its taken AMD 10 months to release its full range - I hope RDNA4 is not more of the same.

I suspect AMD will put less focus and budget into desktop GPU's going forwards. They surely realize that no matter how good the hardware, the majority will still buy Nvidia. Not that RDNA3 is good, as a product it's clearly inferior where it matters today (RT & Software stack). Nvidia having 83% market share is an insurmountable nut to crack.

Last edited:
I suspect AMD will put less focus and budget into desktop GPU's going forwards. They surely realize that no matter how good the hardware, the majority will still buy Nvidia. Not that RDNA3 is good, as a product it's clearly inferior where it matters today (RT & Software stack). Nvidia having 83% market share is an insurmountable nut to crack.

That's rubbish. If they made cards better than Nvidia in every way, launched without driver issues and decided to charge a fair price, they would get no less than 50% market imo.

Or just priced what they have available now properly and they would still easily double their market share.

But let's be honest they won't be doing either. With both companies more and more silicon will go towards ai, and they will just price GPU's higher to keep demand in check.

...With both companies more and more silicon will go towards ai, and they will just price GPU's higher to keep demand in check.
I'd take issue with both companies part of that. AFAIK the demand for AMD 'professional' level GPUs are pretty low (may even have lower market share there than desktop/gaming).

On the other hand they are probably (afaik) having to split their allocation of a particular node size between GPUs & CPUs (is RDNA even using the same size node as Ryzen 7k?).

Well, I'd say this GPU makes a lot of sense:

It's nice that it's a Navi31 design, but basically cut down. I guess they thought Navi32 just wouldn't offer enough of an improvement vs the last gen.

It should be ahead of the RTX 4070 in performance (therefore RTX 3080 also). And it has a reasonable amount of VRAM.

The RTX 4070 TI is going to look pretty expensive compared to the RX 7900 (that's what I'm calling it).

I guess they're nearly done with RDNA3 releases now.

I imagine some gamers will still want a Navi32 successor to the RX 6700 XT as well.

The spec of the RX 7900 looks fairly similar to the RX 7900 XT, but the memory bandwidth is lower:

The performance should be pretty decent in theory.

They have it 23% ahead of the RTX 4070, or = to a 4070Ti, 6950XT, RTX 3090.

So yes it should be compared to the 4070Ti, cheapest one of those right now, £770, MLID rumoured the 7900 to be between $579 and $649, Sterling that's about £550 to £630, basically £150 cheaper, or 23% cheaper $799 vs $649.
The 6800XT was $649 compared to a $699 3080 10GB and similar performance.

You know what, if all this holds true IMO AMD done good, they brought us a card that is according to TPU maths 20% faster than the 6800XT for the same money.
On its own that's not great, its ok, but compare that to Nvidia who granted made a card 45% faster, but for 60% more money.

I like the RX 7700.

48 CU's, 12GB, TPU has it 5% faster than the RX 6800 and 5% slower than the RTX 4070.

MLID has this one $399 to $449, so £430 at most, compare that to the 4070 starting at £570, £120 cheaper, or 33%, a third, less expensive. :eek:

I'd expect the RX 7900 to be 5-10% slower in raster than the RTX 4070 TI (which is around 20% faster than the RTX 4070).
I guess the thing we don't know yet, is will cut down Navi31 GPUs be mass market products, or quite limited in yields? Maybe the 80 CU dies will be easier /simpler to mass produce?

The main market for this GPU will be people not impressed with the RTX 4070's performance, who might like to have more VRAM.

I think it's very likely that the price of the RTX 4070 will come down.

Last edited:
I'd expect the RX 7900 to be 5-10% slower in raster than the RTX 4070 TI (which is around 20% faster than the RTX 4070).

I think it's very likely that the price of the RTX 4070 will come down.

its competing with the 4070Ti, £770 vs £630, Nvidia will have to take $100 off that to make it about £700+, then yes the 4070 might come down a little from £570 but not much, if at all, DLSS premium.

The 4060Ti 16GB is just stupid at $50 more expensive that the RX 7700, i mean the latter is also a much faster card,

I have a feeling Nvidia might just say nah #### you, what are you going to do, buy these AMD cards? That's what i thought....
The 4080 never came down off its $1200 perch, despite being a slower card than the $1000 7900XTX, not until AMD knocked $100 off that, its still £1100 vs £900 with the 4080 being slower.

Last edited:
I'd take issue with both companies part of that. AFAIK the demand for AMD 'professional' level GPUs are pretty low (may even have lower market share there than desktop/gaming).

On the other hand they are probably (afaik) having to split their allocation of a particular node size between GPUs & CPUs (is RDNA even using the same size node as Ryzen 7k?).

I am referring to next gen. AMD may still not be where they want to be, but Nvidia I am sure can allocate more silicon to AI, unless I am missing something :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom