It wasn't yellow gunk in my WC build

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Why not try putting a bit of one of the tubes in a pan of boiling water and see if it fully melts. This will at least give you a clue if it is purely temperature related or solvent/chemical related. Has news of this hit Xtreme Sytems yet btw? It will really kick off then.

I will not tolerate anti vendor attitudes in this subforum.
if you did post it on Xs the members there would most likely try and encourage explanation and not some kind of anti EK crusade which is what I can see this turning into.

He has even said he will take a pipe home with him and place it in hot water to see if the same thing happens, if that is their product testing and attitude I doubt I'll ever buy anything from EK again.

without wishing to sound patronising, I have offered you my assistance. I deal with EK on a regular basis and can get results from this.

If you ordered the product from us, you can send the res back and we will sort out an RMA

if you wish to deal with EK directly then I am more than happy to assist as I said before but you seem to have declined my offer?

What I don't want is for an anti EK storm to start brewing before we know what the cause of this issue is.

I admit, EK can be a bit of of pain to deal with sometimes but issues get resolved to the best of their ability for a small company.

this is the first time I have seen anything like this from a tube res product from any vendor so it needs a lot more thought going into it than just stating that all EK products are sub standard.

I have personally got involved on my own and am speaking to Eddy about this now.

Soldato
I am not defending EK at all. But some times their intentions can get lost in translation, at least thats what I learnt from my experience with EK.

Does all of the other res pipes go soft when in worm water ?

Soldato
I will not tolerate anti vendor attitudes in this subforum.

You got the wrong dude rkjoneill, where did I say I would be party to an EK witch hunt? I was simply saying that a problem of this kind would be very likely increase the hysteria when it got more widespread attention, using XS as an example. I myself have never bought the hysteria surrounding the plating issues or anything else for that matter, if anything I am taking a sideways stab at those who do. I have a nikel block and I haven't bothered taking it apart because I know its thermal properties are in no way affected by a bit of plating coming off, so so what?

Soldato
OP
Thank you rjkoneill, I wasn't declining your offer, I was just hoping I could get this sorted without you having to take the trouble to do it. I am not wanting to create an anything anti EK, that isn't what I am out to do. I just feel they could be a lot more helpful then what they have been so far, maybe even treat me as a customer who spend several hundred pounds on their products. Can I email you a copy of the email conversation so far so you can see where we are at?

I feel sending an RMA to OCUK would get the res replaced but then I am still at a loss because I need to replace my pump, tubing and CPU block that all have bits of plastic in. Then I may even need to replace my rads too. This isn't my fault so in my opinion EK should be sorting something out or at least showing more understanding. I do however appreciate that being a company they need to verify it is their fault before they will pay out any monies towards replacing my equipment.

Associate
What Bio did you use (Coil, Drops)? I have to agree with a post above looking at the CPU block it certainly looks like a chemical reaction, Maybe a strange reaction caused by Nickel/Copper/Bio/Water something has caused it. Really doesnt look like those pipes have melted due to direct heat, more like they have weakend due to corrosion.

Really hope you get to the bottom of this!

Soldato
Do you know where you stand regarding your pump and other parts if the item was faulty? How about you talk to OcUK, and if they accept the RMA (or something else), then talk to EK afterwards?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Right.

as anticipated. my involvement has got this moving properly

I have spoken to Eddy myself and he agrees that because this is the only case of this type raised that it has to be circumstantial some way.

I have been forwarded the support tickets from Dave and EKs customer service has been OK. not brilliant, but OK

I understand that you are frustrated Dave, I would be too. but please have some patience with them so that this gets sorted. They are suggesting the same things I would suggest and not one of their replies is unreasonable in my eyes.

I am not going into it further on the forums but if you wish to contact me personally then I will happily discuss this and assist in the RMA

I am speaking with Eddy now to try and find a solution that works for everyone but seeing as this is an isolated failure at the moment, it will take a little longer to resolve because unlike the nickel plating issue, it isn't widespread.

Soldato
The thin tubes melting, while the outer casing didn't, doesn't mean they were made of different materials. It does suggest they were.

I think the most plausible explanation is that the fluidXP leached into the thin tubes (probably into the other plastics too). Everything is soluble in everything else, so to some extent that must be true. In the case of the thin tubes, both sides were exposed, and the liquid had less distance to diffuse before saturating the plastic. The outer res is much thicker, and only the outer layer would be affected by the time the thin tubes were saturated.

This leaves one with acrylic tubes contaminated with fluidXP. Mixtures tend to melt at lower points than pure materials, and their melting point can be hard to estimate. If the fluidxp attacked some of the packing material / plasticisers /whatever-other-crap-acrylic contains, then the end result could fall apart well below the 160C nominal melting point.

I'd quite like to know what fluidXP is. If it turns out to be deionised water, back the the drawing board.

There should be a roughly 20 degree difference between cpu core temperature and water temperature. Processors tend to switch themselves off at around 100 degrees, so the water could well have sat at 75 degrees for a period of months. Mine certainly did for a while, the fittings were hot enough to burn too.

Finally, opposing the sudden surge of irritation at EK, I'd like to say that they've been brilliant on the rare occasions that I've needed to contact them. They went so far as to email me CAD models of acrylic tops, when I was trying to work out if I could machine some out of acetal. I think they're being sceptical because it's the first time they've seen this. If nothing else, maybe point some hate in the direction of fluidXP instead?

bru

bru

Soldato
Echoing what JonJ678 has said, maybe its the fluid that is at fault rather than the tubes, I don't suppose you have any of the fluid saved do you...?
If you have maybe it needs to be tested to make sure it is what it says it is.

Soldato
Echoing what JonJ678 has said, maybe its the fluid that is at fault rather than the tubes, I don't suppose you have any of the fluid saved do you...?
If you have maybe it needs to be tested to make sure it is what it says it is.

He said he has some left. :)

I don't see much irratation at EK, only hyping for no reason. It's an isolated case, it doesn't need to be blown up.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There should be a roughly 20 degree difference between cpu core temperature and water temperature. Processors tend to switch themselves off at around 100 degrees, so the water could well have sat at 75 degrees for a period of months. Mine certainly did for a while, the fittings were hot enough to burn too.

CPU and Graphics never went above 75c

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I hate to say it but I can only suggest this is some sort of reaction.

its not melted from heat, we had a spare in our tech area that I have had sat in a kettle and it hasn't changed state at all.

the only thing i can suggest is that the fluid XP has had some sort of reaction to the plastic.

EK are doing what they can at the moment, I will let you all know when I hear back from Eddy

Man of Honour
Thats deffo loks like a chemical reaction. If it were heat the water would have been hot enough to expand and cause a leak long before the plastic began to melt!

Have you tested the pH level of the fluid?

Soldato
http://microadvances.com/chemicals1.htm

Any idea what that Fluid XP stuff is made of?

From it's description it looks to contain all sorts of chemicals.
Here's what I can find what's in it.

''Fluid XP+ Ultra Non-Conductive 32 oz. Liquid Cooling Fluid is the latest non-conductive, non-toxic, non-corrosive and scale zapping, high performance liquid cooling fluid from the great minds at Fluid XP. With a boiling point of over 340°F and a freezing point below -99°F, Ultra is the most robust cooling fluid available. Plus it comes in multiple colors, including UV reactive colors.

The most notable thing that Fluid XP+ Ultra with z7 offers that no other PC coolant can or ever will offer is the special chemical bond it has with solid substances. If you're using a radiator and you notice that metal shavings have began flaking off of it and start floating around you system, if your using Fluid XP+ Ultra with z7 there will be no problem. Because Ultra with z7 will bond itself around the metal flakes which will suspend it in the liquid. This will stop build up in your system. No other PC coolant can or ever will offer such feature.''

''What is in the Fluid XP+ coolant?
Fluid XP is a patent pending mixture of Propylene glycol, De-ionized water, Glycerin, Keltrol, Benzotriazole and some other proprietary ingredients that are all considered to be food safe ingredients as recognized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).''

''Yes, here is a list of some of the results of independent lab tests.
Ingredients:
Propylene Glycol
Deionized Water
Xanthan Gum
1-dodeconol (Lauryl Alcohol)
Glycerin
Bacteriostat (cetylpyridinium Chloride)
Additional company trade secret ingredients''

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom