Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2021, Monza - Race 14

Rate the 2021 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I've only jumped in on this page, so might have missed it, but why is no-one asking the question 'Why did Hamilton pit?'. I liked when I saw he was on hards. He couldn't easily pass in the sprint, so go long and try it that way. They say Merc had the faster car, just needed clear air... the mediums pitted, giving the needed clear air and Mercedes immediately pitted Hamilton?!?! Am I missing something here? Why would you not go 4 or 5 laps with him in clear air, using the advantage the hard tyres give?!

Caporegime
I've only jumped in on this page, so might have missed it, but why is no-one asking the question 'Why did Hamilton pit?'. I liked when I saw he was on hards. He couldn't easily pass in the sprint, so go long and try it that way. They say Merc had the faster car, just needed clear air... the mediums pitted, giving the needed clear air and Mercedes immediately pitted Hamilton?!?! Am I missing something here? Why would you not go 4 or 5 laps with him in clear air, using the advantage the hard tyres give?!

because they knew they could release him into the path of Max and end the race there and then

Soldato
With Max’s slow stop, Hamilton could pit and come out comfortably in front of him, rather than waiting and potentially have to make the move on track.

If Ham’s stop wasn’t 2 seconds slow, they would never have come together at the pit exit.

At that moment in time, it made a lot of sense to pit Hamilton when they did.

Associate
Damon Hill disagreeing with Di Resta and saying what some fans are thinking - Max couldn't make the corner and so either had a lapse of judgement (we're all human but especially at the speeds they're doing) or done it deliberately to take Lewis out to protect his points lead. Wouldn't be the first time, nor the last time, that a driver had done it.

Caporegime

Even with Max's longer pitstop, and him on fresher tyres into clean air, he would have lapped faster than n Lewis, thus narrowing the possible window for lewis to pit and get out ahead, so lewis had to pit quickly.

Even if lewis had a normal stop he would still have come out and only been a second and a half ish in front of max.

Lewis' stop was couple seconds too long, and max was quick on his outlap, hence they arrived at first corner together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom