Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2021, Monza - Race 14

Rate the 2021 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Now he will, but not when he was the same age as Max. Look at other drivers of a similar age to Max on the grid. They're all up for it as they all think they'll indestructible and have nothing to lose. Backing out and picking your fights tends to come with maturity as it does with life..

Leclerc impressed me yesterday. He was going for an overtake on Bottas (i think it was?) backed out and cut the chicane but got ahead of him. So he gave the place back while still being close enough to get a tow and sail by him into the next corner. Its sneaky but its also really quick thinking and is what you need to maximise your performances. I'm surprised Perez threw away 3rd by not doing something similar and instead taking the 5 second hit?! Vettel is also good at quick decision making too. Like when overtaking people into the pits etc when they are slowing to stack their stops.

Caporegime
Russell has now scored in three of the last four races: Williams have done a great job of maximising their opportunities lately, even if Russell was lucky with safety car timing yesterday. Latifi came close to scoring again too. Gio, meanwhile, blew probably his best opportunity of the season with a clumsy move taking him into Sainz. Given Alfa currently weighing up whether to keep him for next season, it might have made a difference to whether he keeps his seat.

Oh, and Mazepin is now 21st in a field of 20 drivers :D

Soldato
Now he will, but not when he was the same age as Max. Look at other drivers of a similar age to Max on the grid. They're all up for it as they all think they'll indestructible and have nothing to lose. Backing out and picking your fights tends to come with maturity as it does with life..

Max is now in his 7th season in F1, when Lewis was the same age as Max he was in his second season. Max really doesn't appear to have changed at all during this time.

Associate
3 place grid penalty seems fine, still looked like a racing incident to me.

Oh well, Hamilton fans calling for race bans should check themselves, they seem a little unhinged. Both drivers share the blame here, depending on the stewards this could have gone either way, the lightness of the penalty reflects this.

If both driver refuse to give way then fair enough imo, they both know the outcome.

Soldato
Leclerc impressed me yesterday. He was going for an overtake on Bottas (i think it was?) backed out and cut the chicane but got ahead of him. So he gave the place back while still being close enough to get a tow and sail by him into the next corner. Its sneaky but its also really quick thinking and is what you need to maximise your performances.
Agreed, but pulling that exact move lost Hamilton a win at Belgium in 2008.

Associate
To be fair to Max, I doubt he realised how serious the incident was. Given it was a relatively slow speed incident, and he won't have been able to see the contact between his wheel and Lewis' head, he probably thought there wasn't any real risk to Lewis.
Maybe Max should have checked seeing as his car ended up on top of another, instead of walking away like a petulant child.

Soldato
3 place grid penalty seems fine, still looked like a racing incident to me.

Oh well, Hamilton fans calling for race bans should check themselves, they seem a little unhinged. Both drivers share the blame here, depending on the stewards this could have gone either way, the lightness of the penalty reflects this.

If both driver refuse to give way then fair enough imo, they both know the outcome.

I wouldn't be surprised if Max's comments straight after the incident helped towards getting him the penalty.

Soldato
Maybe Max should have checked seeing as his car ended up on top of another, instead of walking away like a petulant child.
Lewis was trying to get out. Even when Verstappen was getting out of his car car Hamilton was turning the wheel trying to break free, and you could see Verstappen's car jolting, so he would have known he was fine. He glanced over as he walked past too.

Soldato
Terrifying to imagine what could have happened to Lewis's head if that rear wheel still had full torque going through it while the front of the Red Bull had dug into the gravel. If the car was dug in such that the rear wheel would have spun on the halo, without the car being able to "drive" off so to speak, and with there apparently being enough lack of clearance for the tyre to contact a drivers head at that angle, it could do ridiculous damage to the guys neck, or worse try to pull the helmet off over his chin. Have they not modelled this scenario with the halo testing? The incident seems to have revealed a serious weakness in the clearances involved.

Man of Honour
Terrifying to imagine what could have happened to Lewis's head if that rear wheel still had full torque going through it while the front of the Red Bull had dug into the gravel. If the car was dug in such that the rear wheel would have spun on the halo, without the car being able to "drive" off so to speak, and with there apparently being enough lack of clearance for the tyre to contact a drivers head at that angle, it could do ridiculous damage to the guys neck, or worse try to pull the helmet off over his chin. Have they not modelled this scenario with the halo testing? The incident seems to have revealed a serious weakness in the clearances involved.
The left wheel was spinning, the right wasn't. I assume Max was trying to get out of it and maybe the driveshaft was broken.

Soldato
Brundle assumed it was the differential that may have been the reason the right wasn't spinning, but regardless it shows there is still room for improvement even with the halo as is.

Man of Honour
Brundle assumed it was the differential that may have been the reason the right wasn't spinning, but regardless it shows there is still room for improvement even with the halo as is.
True. I also think it highlights how stupid the sausage kerbs are.

Soldato
Assuming Lewis is ok (hope so), do you think there's an element of him that might be scared of Max (or rather his recklessness) now? Usually Lewis is excellent at taking the bad days and coming back strong.. but I just wonder that if he might back out of the next 50;50 if only to save his own life...

Exactly. He knew full well his car went right over Hamilton's. To not check in him is absolutely unforgivable. For all Max knew Lewis's could have snapped his neck and the reason his car was accelerating was some kind of awful death throes. Yes, drama queen here but still. It's a particularly awful kind of person to be involved in something like that and not show a blindest bit of notice to the other guy afterwards. And stomping across the live circuit? Moron. The more I think about it in hindsight the more angry I get!

Soldato
made even worse when you see Max on the Radio doesn't even ask if everyone's okay, simple saying something like " Thats that you get for leaving no room" etc. Went from thinking he was a great talent to thinking nothing of him now. Hes jsut like his dad to be honest.

Soldato
Assuming Lewis is ok (hope so), do you think there's an element of him that might be scared of Max (or rather his recklessness) now? Usually Lewis is excellent at taking the bad days and coming back strong.. but I just wonder that if he might back out of the next 50;50 if only to save his own life...

I was hoping that kind of thinking and self-reflection might come on Max's part.

Twice now Hamilton has shown that he's not going to be bullied and twice Max has had a DNF.

Maybe that will help Max realise that he can't just keep trying to force others to give way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom