Its a small world

Man of Honour
I started evening classes at College 12 weeks ago and we did an experiment where one of us was blindfolded and our partner led us around the college.
One woman said that she actually did that with a proper blind person about 7 years ago and I said my wife was in a class with a blind woman.
After pictures were exchanged it appears that both me & the wife have been in seperate classes.
OK, perhaps not that small a world but out of a Stoke population of 250,000 not to bad a coincidence.

Not as good as this one though.
Last week we were talking about stuff and I mentioned my Nigerian connections.
One girl mentioned that she had lived out there between the ages of 1 to 4 and can't remember much about it.
I took her parents names and mentioned it to my mother.
It just so happened they were the best mates of my mother & father and lived in the bungalow next door which means that Kerry (the woman in my class) was part of my life in Nigeria.
My mother asked for their phone number but Kerry told me tonight that both her mum & dad had died.

I'm searching through old photos and videos now to see if I can cheer her up.

Wanna share some small world stories?

Associate
Whilst I was in Peru I was queing for some train tickets to Quillabamba, and infront of me were two guys with Leeds Fest wristbands on.

I mean come on!

Can't go anywhere these days...

Edit: Also, my mum used to fancy my ex's dad, whilst they were in high school together! :eek:

Small world!

Last edited:
Soldato
I was on holiday this summer in Lanzarote, there were 6 of us lads, and we knew we were meeting up with 6 girls we were friends with from the same high school and went out for a meal, but just as we walked to the restaurant door a girl who also used to be in the same year came out. All those miles away, quite random!

Permabanned
I was on holiday this summer in Lanzarote, there were 6 of us lads, and we knew we were meeting up with 6 girls we were friends with from the same high school and went out for a meal, but just as we walked to the restaurant door a girl who also used to be in the same year came out. All those miles away, quite random!

Beat you in miles ^^ haha :p

Associate
College trip to Euro Disney a few years ago. We were in France at a service station on our way to the park when I heard someone call my name. It was my mate who lived round the corner from me. He wasn't part of the college trip. His sister was taking him to Euro Disney for his birthday.

Soldato
Wanna share some small world stories?

A family friend, a few years back, was asking me how's life in Bradford, because the brother of a good friend of hers wanted to go and study in England and was wondering which city to go to. I told her I am having good fun but there are too many Greeks for my liking.
Anyway, a few years later I am hanging with a few mates, bonded together because of common interests, sharing stories about our past years, where we where at and how was life compared to England. One of them in particular we where getting along very well, and it so happened that his sister was the one I told -through the family friend- that I am in Bradford and it's nice her, etc.

We didn't go looking for each other, that's the fun part:D

Soldato
When our family was in Canada in the summer we were sitting in the cafe at the base of Mount Robson and a woman ran up to my dad and started talking to him, turned out dad knew her and she lives about 6 miles away from my house and their family was on holiday too in the Rockies..

Oh yeah, and in the Collusseum in Rome one of Dad's old colleagues saw us and started talking as well.

Best for me though was in Donegal when I went to the toilet in a shopping centre and one of my ates from school was there washing his hands.

Last edited:
Don
My uncle traced his cousin through his family tree to somewhere in New Zealand and earlier this year I think it was arranged to visit him whilst him and my auntie were out there on holiday.

Whilst there, they were having an evening meal with them and his cousin's neice who just happened to be on holiday there, from Aberdeen.

Who just happened to to work for the same company as me and sit the other side of the divider and two seats down.

Jokester

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
dm, you seem to always end up in these situations of sheer coincidence! I enjoy reading them :D Not got anything as interesting as that though, sadly... but wanted to post to acknowledge :)

Soldato
everywhere i go up here i see people from home that i havent seen in years

seems everyone else has moved here too so god knows where the geordies move too

Soldato
Several years back the family (mum dad me and sister) visited Australia, in this case Cairns.

Sister and I were swimming in the pool when a gentleman came along, put his towel down and got in the pool also. My sister said she recognised her and we went over, he was the lifeguard from our towns local pool :D a town of maybe 10000 people.

Also several years on, my parents divorced I hadn't seen my sister or mum for a few years, my dad and I went to New York for a holiday, got into the hotel around 10am to be informed the room was not ready for another few hours, so we sat down in the foyer to plan our day, who comes through the door but my mum, checking in as well :D to say my dad and I freaked is an understatment.

Caporegime
Also several years on, my parents divorced I hadn't seen my sister or mum for a few years, my dad and I went to New York for a holiday, got into the hotel around 10am to be informed the room was not ready for another few hours, so we sat down in the foyer to plan our day, who comes through the door but my mum, checking in as well :D to say my dad and I freaked is an understatment.

That was your que to leave. ;)

Caporegime
I was in Montreal with work and went to a club. Got absolutely off my head and didnt want to leave with everyone else. We taxi'd there together. At the end of the night I had no money left, didnt know where I was and where my hotel was.

I decided I was going to walk it anyway (about 8 miles). T-shirt and jeans -30 degrees.

As I walked through the doors of the club to start my walk a guy I didn my apprenticeship with came through the doors.

He was living in montreal, gave me a lift back to my hotel and probably saved the life of a drunken idiot.

Associate
Back in the late eighties, I was doing a sandwich year in London and one of my colleagues started taking me to Arsenal games. We left the midweek game and it was a bit of a dash to meet some friends in a pub a few stops away. So we vault the barriers, go down the stops and I'm standing at the excess fares window, and a very attractive girl is standing behind me, and she goes " I know you" and I'm thinking, well I'd like to get to know you, and then she says "Your sister used to look after me" and then the penny drops - my sister nannyed (sp?) her and her younger sisters one summer about 5 years before - god knows how she recognised me. I only met her a few times and although we came from a small village, she lived in a big house a few miles away and went to a different school etc

So we had a 5 /10 minute chat, very pleasant and everything

2 weeks later I get a phone call from my sister saying "You remember the XXXXes? Well the older daughter died on the Marchioness last week"

Freaked me out a bit, I'm all trembly just thinking about it now. I just kept thinking "did that meeting have a meaning?"

<<finally, 500 posts!!>>

Back
Top Bottom