• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It’s going to get much worse. Brace for it...

Permabanned
It is superior performance, you're just well jel you had to search for an equally hard to get 6800XT. Not to mention the extra features the 3080 has, hardware for better upscaling to further improve the already superior 4k performance, and also better ray tracing hardware.

And are yu having a laugh? "Why mine when you can buy bitcoin" - If I spend 10 quid on bitcoin, it's worth 10 quid, if I spend £1.10 of electric, it's worth 8 quid of bitcoin.
He paid for a 6900xt but only got a 6800xt lol.

Soldato
It doesn't. The big miners aren't fighting for cards at retail, that much is clear.

The people who are fighting for cards at retail - including people here who got an FE - might be buying them for mining. Quite likely in fact.

If you check the threads here at this point in time, about 50% of people here (at least) are currently using their GPUs for mining.

A lot might not have upgraded at all except for the promise of free money.

I kind of fell in to that category. Didn't buy it for mining (didn't know much about it at the time), but ordinarily I wouldn't have upgraded. I only did so because I thought it would be a "free" upgrade; last I looked 5700 XTs were going for £350-£400.

Turned out my old card went for £680, and I can make £25-£40 per week mining (depending on whether I run it 24/7 or not). It's no wonder demand is crazy high.

Caporegime
That’s a big leap of logic, using your GPU for mining is not the same as buying it for mining... you’d also need to quantify “a lot” as I personally doubt many here based their upgrade choice around mining.
Except that it's not hard to find people now buying 2nd and 3rd GPUs because they quite like this mining lark.

People who upgraded the 2nd and 3rd rigs (or even their kids rigs) so that they could mine on them too.

Look around at the posts here. Mining has infected at least 50% of us.

Soldato
Except that it's not hard to find people now buying 2nd and 3rd GPUs because they quite like this mining lark.

People who upgraded the 2nd and 3rd rigs (or even their kids rigs) so that they could mine on them too.

Clearly buying 2nd or 3rd GPUs yes, but I bet if you ran a poll in the FE thread the majority would currently own a single 3000 series card.

Permabanned

Quite a small percentage have 2nd of 3rd gpus for mining though. Many will be like me and the other guy who a brought a new card then discovered they were giving free money away. I for one wish I had multiple gpus right now. Not paying current prices though.

Associate
OP
Mining is indeed a good way to ease the costs we paid, however there is a difference between you buying a card gaming and mine with it because why not, vs you buy extra cards to mine, the latter contains a lot more financial risk, of price of cards / crypto collapsing, these things are unstable and can collapse easily in weeks.

Associate
People pretend they are so desperate to buy w gpu for gaming but they are full of crap. The only reason people are crying is because they feel they are missing out on the money making scheme. I know I am.

A lot of people don't give the first **** about mining or cryptocurrency, but would quite like a graphics card. When even older cards are now selling at above RRP, second hand and after years of use, they have a point.

Soldato
Saw a 2060 go for £480 secondhand but OCUK have them up at £320 (no stock of course!)
What an odd state of affairs, particularly for this middle ground sector.
A lot of double-whammying going on, people paying over the odds for ampere/navi before christmas and shifting their old decent gpu's on immediately, which are now worth £££'s more.... you just can't win. Can it get much worse.?
Probably.

Soldato
A lot of people don't give the first **** about mining or cryptocurrency, but would quite like a graphics card. When even older cards are now selling at above RRP, second hand and after years of use, they have a point.

Nah this is an enthusiast forum so the majority of posters here already had good gpus before Ampere dropped. They weren't struggling with unplayable framerates. On initial release the appeal was the gaming performance but now stock is in such huge demand peoples desire is driven by their fear of missing out on mining. Not by their current gpu struggling to play some average games at 60fps.

Caporegime
Mining is indeed a good way to ease the costs we paid, however there is a difference between you buying a card gaming and mine with it because why not, vs you buy extra cards to mine, the latter contains a lot more financial risk, of price of cards / crypto collapsing, these things are unstable and can collapse easily in weeks.

Potentially true if you pay well over the odds. If you can get something at RRP, then by the time/if it crashes you likely have made at least the difference in used vs new.

Not much inherrent risk in that.

But yeh if you are paying £500 for a 2060 or £1000+ for a 3080 then its a risky game to play.

Permabanned
I bought my 3090FE to game, I hear it can get £10+per day profit after costs mining, F That, the heat and noise and not game on it (if it is mining 24/7) to make £3650 a year.

I am not short of cash and can think of better ways to earn more money if I feel the need like doing some more work/overtime.

F mining and F miners.

Soldato
I bought my 3090FE to game, I hear it can get £10+per day profit after costs mining, F That, the heat and noise and not game on it (if it is mining 24/7) to make £3650 a year.

I am not short of cash and can think of better ways to earn more money if I feel the need like doing some more work/overtime.

F mining and F miners.

no one cares.

Caporegime
Nah this is an enthusiast forum so the majority of posters here already had good gpus before Ampere dropped. They weren't struggling with unplayable framerates. On initial release the appeal was the gaming performance but now stock is in such huge demand peoples desire is driven by their fear of missing out on mining. Not by their current gpu struggling to play some average games at 60fps.
Don't mistake "enthusiast" with someone who buys top end parts all the time. Plenty of mid-range enthusiasts.

It never used to mean "top of the range" until recently. Now "enthusiast" is used by vendors as the top tier of spending power.

Associate
So people can buy single cards then? It's just not easy enough, convenient enough, or affordable enough for everyone? That's a materially different argument from the one in your previous post.

As for the MSRP bit, that's demonstrably untrue. Only have to look back to two weeks ago in the FE thread to see that people are getting cards at MSRP (myself included). Just need to sign up to a stock alert. After that, it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Not everyone can get a card this way. But some can (which again disproves this idea that all stock is being bought by bots and miners).

My argument was: for most people, it can't get any worse really.

Most people don't have the luxury of being able to be browse the internet 24/7 to buy a card. People have to work, and have other obligations. These people, can't buy a GPU now, so it can't actually get worse. That was my point.

The truth is, customers shouldn't be hunting for products. Sellers should be hunting for customers.

Associate
The truth is, customers shouldn't be hunting for products. Sellers should be hunting for customers.
In communism cccr that was the way .

In capitalism it's called artificial price inflation.

Like diamonds . Unfortunately GPUs are useful In few ways.

I hope company's wont restrict gpu chips to keep prices high.

Back
Top Bottom