It's no wonder the wall fell down......

Permabanned
Would the fact that it is a gable wall contribute to this, given that it has a smaller triangle of bricks pushing down, compared to say a full house height of brick above it. That and maybe inadaquate wall or roof ties?

Soldato
And this is why people should not just rely on builders (which I suspect happened here) when doing major works on their property. Get a structural engineer to provide some advice first, in this case, assess whether the wall could support such a long cantilevering canopy.

Another example is knocking a wall down to make 2 rooms open plan, or knocking a rear wall down to create a large opening when attaching a conservatory - you end up losing a key area providing lateral stability.

Associate
I was under the impression that Building Control should approve any plans that involve modification to the structure and/or an addition that is physically connected to the existing building structure. They would then have to inspect the work once complete.

I can't imagine they were aware that monstrosity had been erected :eek:.

Soldato
Does anyone else remember an advert on TV back in the 80's with one of those carports with a car actually parked on top of it to show how strong they were, I'm pretty sure William Woollard (Olde Top Gear) did it, but Google isn't helping find it.

Caporegime
gotta be a DIY job... or some ****** built it presumably?

Surely any half decent tradesman wouldn't have put that thing up

Back
Top Bottom