1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's the season to enjoy some dark beers, right?

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by Scam, 29 Oct 2020.

1. Shadowness

Mobster

Yeh they can be pretty expensive, the barrel aged ones can be near the £12-15 mark (for a 330cl can!). But they are a treat (and a lot of work and time goes into producing them).

I'm in Cheltenham, we have one of the best bottle shops in the country Favourite Beers

The owner is a big fan of strong dark beers so they have plenty of this sort of thing. I have also bought online a fair few times last year too. My go places were Rad Beer, Premier Hop, Little Leeds Beerhouse......and a few others.

Normally if you goggle the name of a beer, the shops that have it come up normally.

2. Martynt74

Capodecina

I know this is a thread about dark beers, but has anyone tried a beer with "Eclipse" hops? I got a few cans from Vocation just before Christmas and it's absolutely fantastic. Seems like it's quite a new hop variety.

3. beachBOYken

Capodecina

Might get a pack myself, what courier did they use?

4. Lysander

Capodecina

No idea, I'm afraid, it came at around 6pm, and a couple of days after the requested delivery date. I put that down to post-Xmas issues, so maybe whoever the courier was [blue/black uniform?] they will have sorted it out now.

5. beachBOYken

Capodecina

Thanks, will give them a try.

6. Lysander

Capodecina

Excellent, do post here about your thoughts when they arrive :)

7. shroomz

Wise Guy

You guys need to try Lost and Grounded's Baltic Porter, "Running with Spectres":
    http://lostandgrounded.co.uk/beers/

Coffee and grapefruit make a delicious combo

I was surprised to see it stocked in a supermarket in Milngavie the other day, I think they're growing their distribution.

8. Lysander

Capodecina

I've had it before on tap - quite decent - it's an IPA though, not a porter.

EDIT: Oh, Running with Spectres. Haven't tried it, will try to seek it out, thanks for the recommendation.

9. shroomz

Wise Guy

Ye, check the two labels side by side if you find them too, they do do really cool artwork

10. saltfish

Associate

[​IMG]
    the munich dunkel is a fine style, often overlooked in the craft beer world

11. Siliconslave

Man of Honour

Good call & Augustiner is arguably one of the best, I used to go to Munich for work a couple of times a year and both their Dunkel and Helles are amazing - spent many a happy evening at their beer garden and beer cellar.

12. mid_gen

Capodecina

If I had to pick a single beer to drink, it would Augustiner Helles. It was my go to when I lived in Germany, stroll to town, pick up a couple of cold ones from the Büdchen and sit by the river in the sunshine, bliss!

The local beer where I lived (Düsseldorf) is Altbier, it's a dark, top-fermented beer, drunk in small 200ml glasses. Schumacher, Ueriger are the two nicest that get exported, from the really old breweries. Although I'm quite partial to Kürze which was was a fairly recent, hipster brewery in town.

13. Siliconslave

Man of Honour

its funny how differently bravaria and rhineland serve beers - while you have to love a stupidly large stein theres something great about someone constantly bringing you a new, tiny glass of cold beer :)

14. mid_gen

Capodecina

Yeah, it's great, as soon as your glass empties, like magic the barman's there to replace it with a fresh one. Can be dangerous sitting in an Alt brewery....only small glasses but most of them are >5%, before you know you try to stand up and realise how much you've had :p

Kölsch comes in taller, thinner glasses.

Jeez the rivalry between Düsseldorf and Koln.....I asked for a Kölsch in Düsseldorf once and the guy looked at me like I'd just dropped my pants and taken a dump on the floor....you'd probably get lynched if you were caught with one at the football :D