It's too hot :(

Went to the barbers today. Couldn’t be bothered to sit there for more than five mins, so threw caution to the wind and him to take it all off. Number one all over.

I look like a rescued concentration camp survivor, but it feels so much better.

it still needs that pipe to go outside tho right?

or can you just plug it in with its back to wall without pipe and it works?

Yeah you need to use the pipe, very hot air gets pumped out of it - normally you sling it out of the window

[there isn't an indoor air-con unit that exists, that doesn't have that sort of pipe]

What would it cost to have a split A/C unit installed? I see that they are sub £500 on Amazon, whether they’re any good or not I don’t know. I fancy one in the living room and one in the bedroom.

What would it cost to have a split A/C unit installed? I see that they are sub £500 on Amazon, whether they’re any good or not I don’t know. I fancy one in the living room and one in the bedroom.

An aircon guy who visits work quite often said about £1200 a room to do it properly.

The ones you can buy and fit yourself are junk apparently. They are sealed systems and can't be serviced. You also can't buy the refrigerant unless your licensed.

Cheers. £1200 isn’t too bad if it’s a home you’re staying in for some time. My house is only a stop gap but I may look to have it done when I eventually buy another house.

Cheers. £1200 isn’t too bad if it’s a home you’re staying in for some time. My house is only a stop gap but I may look to have it done when I eventually buy another house.

I came very close to getting the bedrooms done last year. I was offered a big discount. But thought "we won't have summers like this very often". Wish I had done it now :/

The units heat as well and I'm told it's cheaper to heat rooms using them than gas now. Even better if you have them hooked up to solar panels.

Yeah you need to use the pipe, very hot air gets pumped out of it - normally you sling it out of the window

[there isn't an indoor air-con unit that exists, that doesn't have that sort of pipe]

The biggest downfall of these portable units is that because they vent air outaide, that air has to be replaced in the room, either through the window or door, dragging warm air in. They still make a huge difference, but I've fitted mine to have the outlet pipe sealed against the window, so it draws 28c air under the door from the landing.

Thats the flaw with a/c.

Basically the windows in my bedroom, the part that opens is very high up, also at height of ceiling. The pipe would need to be very long and be very awkward as well, not to mention the noise from traffic with my window open.

Portable heaters can make heat without pumping cold air out, so why a/c cannot work the opposite way without a pipe I dont know.

Portable heaters can make heat without pumping cold air out, so why a/c cannot work the opposite way without a pipe I dont know.

Not strictly true, heat pumps which are comparable actually do "pump" out cold air but they do outside. The external part of the refrigerator loop on a heap pump will have frost on it.

Around 80 people lost their lives in Greece because of the wildfires around Athens. Western Europe experiences terrible dry heatwave, while some countries to the East experience unseen floods and cool temperatures.
We are playing with the climate and if we aren't stopping soon, things may become catastrophic for all of us.
Get rid of fossil fuels..

Back
Top Bottom