Ivan Gazidis quits Arsenal

Caporegime
this was coming for a while I feel, but I’m not too sad. He had a nothing career at Arsenal and was part of the trio responsible for years of stagnation. He was complicit in keeping Wenger at the club long past his sell by date. Certainly no David Dein, that’s for sure.

I was worried that he would be replaced by Kroenke’s son Josh, but that doesn’t seem to be the case and the job is being split between a head of football and a managing director, both appointed from within the club.

What difference this will make, if any, I don’t know, but I’m not too fussed to see him leave and wish him all the best in his new job at AC Milan. The luck beggar has somehow wrangled shares in the club as well as a stonking £1m a year salary increase!

Soldato
Although I want the Kroenkes out of the club, I kinda feel they would have been more likely to spend some money if Josh had been given the job. If they don't want to spend any then it mostly doesn't matter who is in charge, mediocrity will continue.

As for Gazidis, it doesn't surprise me that he left for more money. He never cared about the club, he cared about his wages and bonuses. He should have been sacked for the overachieving comments a few years ago.

Caporegime
OP
Isn’t this the sort of news which just goes in the club thread? Can’t imagine anyone cares!
Maybe you don't, but you're not an Arsenal fan.

I went by Baz' guidelines. Gazidis is a very major player at Arsenal and has been at the forefront of the clubs struggles in recent years. Tbf, I guarantee there would be a separate thread if Ed Woodward or Peter Moore quit. I thought this might get a few more replies than it did, and I as I am walking a tightrope in the Arsenal thread for mistakenly posting stuff I thought belonged in there, I didn't want to risk anything.

Don
You were right to start a new thread, I still don't understand why so many people are scared to start threads for new topics.

Anyway, as I believe a few journo's have reported, it's quite surprising that he's decided to leave now. Despite what you say in your OP, a lot of the reports that I've read over the last couple of years were that Gazidis had actually been pushing to make changes at Arsenal, whether that be changes to the structure of the club around Wenger or even replacing him, but that it was the Kroenke's that kept Wenger in place. To finally win that power struggle and be allowed to make the changes you've pushed for, only to leave straight after seems a massive cop out.

Caporegime
Meh no great loss, he’s just as much to blame for our recent failures along with Wenger.

Did read that we have replaced him with 2 other people within the club, so not an appointment from outside.

I just hope with the new guys and Emery, that we start to make some improvements over the next couple of years.

Soldato
Maybe you don't, but you're not an Arsenal fan.

I went by Baz' guidelines. Gazidis is a very major player at Arsenal and has been at the forefront of the clubs struggles in recent years. Tbf, I guarantee there would be a separate thread if Ed Woodward or Peter Moore quit. I thought this might get a few more replies than it did, and I as I am walking a tightrope in the Arsenal thread for mistakenly posting stuff I thought belonged in there, I didn't want to risk anything.

I think there's a massive amount of apathy when it comes to The Arsenal nowadays. It used to be that I would watch every game without fail, not anymore. My friend and I used to exchange phonecalls before each game and at halftime, not anymore. We've slipped so far down the pecking order that it's become a chore to watch us.

I read that the internal solutions to Gazidis leaving are just a stop-gap, and that we will be using a headhunting agency to fill the position. I don't know who will want the job if they can't compete with the more cash rich teams.

Josh didn't want the job as it would involve living in England, and he wasn't prepared to do that. We're just a rich guys plaything, and he doesn't want to play with us.

Soldato
Seemed like it was going to happen for a few months ever since the rumours started and little was done to dismiss them convincingly.

Looks like his job has been split up so all the football business side of things is now fully with Raul Sanllehi and all the commercial business side of things is fully with Vinai Venkatesham. I think the only real potential issue is that the club has brought in all these new faces in the last year or two who haven't worked together before, and now they've been left to run the vessel as the captain has jumped ship, so to speak.

Soldato
As much as Dein was very much the man 15 years ago, I'm not sure what benefit he would add now, football has moved on. Also given his role in the Usmanov vs Kronke situation there is more chance of me getting the job than Dein.

I'm not sure how I feel about Gazidis, in my opinion he has been utterly ineffectual his entire Arsenal tenure - a man who spoke often but has delivered absolutely nothing. Now that he has a chance of carrying some real influence he decides to jump ship... frustrating behavior.

Soldato
Random fact, I once met David Dein and helped him do a powerpoint presentation. He was a really nice bloke, I was expecting him to a right fancy Dan before I met him, but it was complete opposite.

Back
Top Bottom