Ivan Toney banned for 8 months

Soldato
Thanks, you'd think it would be OK to bet on matches you aren't involved in.

You start to enter grey areas with that approach - what about betting on a match his team are playing but he isn't playing in for example? Does that count as 'involved'?

Far easier for everyone involved to simply say it's not allowed, at all.

Soldato
While we're on the subject of betting which I've never done in 65 years except Lottery, can somebody explain what the bottom 3 figures mean please?

Manchester City 20:00 Real Madrid Agg:1-1
7/2 Home 8/15 Away 9/2
Bet £1 and you get 7/2 (3.5) times that if you win (plus your stake back) and so on. (Home win, draw, away win after 90 mins)

Last edited:
Soldato
While we're on the subject of betting which I've never done in 65 years except Lottery, can somebody explain what the bottom 3 figures mean please?

7/2 Home 8/15 Away 9/2

That explains the concept in a bit more detail.

In simple terms, it's telling you how much money you'll get back if you bet on that result and it wins.

So for 8/15 (0.533...) odds for City to win, if you bet £10, you'll get £15.33 back (including your £10, so £5.33 profit) if you win. (£10 divided by 15, multiplied by 8)

Whereas at 9/2 (4.5) for Real to win, you'll get back £55 from a £10 bet (£45 profit). (divided by 2, multiplied by 9)

8/15 being such a small fraction means the bookmakers think this is far and away the most likely result.

PaddyPower have a calculator that'll help it make sense if you set it to a Single bet

Last edited:
Soldato
Why has it taken so long for him to be banned anyway?
The 'Process', I guess. What baffles me is why he was still allowed to play after pleading guilty to some of the offences in February. Should have been an immediate suspension with the time suspended taken off the eventual length of the ban.

Man of Honour

That explains the concept in a bit more detail.

In simple terms, it's telling you how much money you'll get back if you bet on that result and it wins.

So for 8/15 (0.533...) odds for City to win, if you bet £10, you'll get £15.33 back (including your £10, so £5.33 profit) if you win. (£10 divided by 15, multiplied by 8)

Whereas at 9/2 (4.5) for Real to win, you'll get back £55 from a £10 bet (£45 profit). (divided by 2, multiplied by 9)

8/15 being such a small fraction means the bookmakers think this is far and away the most likely result.

PaddyPower have a calculator that'll help it make sense if you set it to a Single bet

Sorry, I meant I don't know what the 3 different things are

7/2 Home 8/15 Away 9/2

So 7/2 is if you're betting on Man City to win
9/2 is if you're betting on Real Madrid to win
What is 8/15?

Caporegime
OP

7/2 Home 8/15 Away 9/2

What is 8/15?
the middle is usually the draw, but the draw is certainly not 8/15 tonight.

The order is confusing. Home is 8/15, away is 9/2 and draw is 7/2

Last edited:
Soldato

7/2 Home 8/15 Away 9/2

What is 8/15?

It's not copying across correctly but it was

8/15 - Man City Win
7/2 - Draw
9/2 - Real Madrid Win

These will be 'Full Time Result' odds, rather than outcome of the tie, as obviously one of them has to be determined to win tonight

Soldato

7/2 Home 8/15 Away 9/2

What is 8/15?
Bet £1 and you get 7/2 (3.5) times that if you win (plus your stake back) and so on. (Home win, draw, away win after 90 mins)

Soldato
That seems to be from the same rumour/leak as the other news sites?

Had a check on the FA, EPL and BFC websites and can't see anything?

I only remembered seeing the article on the bbc. He may have put something on social media himself or just the usual media making up stuff whilst churning out the usual 'source close to the club / player' to excuse any truth / integrity of an article they produce.

Soldato
I only remembered seeing the article on the bbc. He may have put something on social media himself or just the usual media making up stuff whilst churning out the usual 'source close to the club / player' to excuse any truth / integrity of an article they produce.
That was a second FA leak. Fortunately a player can't be banned due to rumours.

The FA have behaved very poorly throughout this process. Toney deserves his ban but the whole thing hasn't been handled well.

Soldato
That seems to be from the same rumour/leak as the other news sites?

Had a check on the FA, EPL and BFC websites and can't see anything?

He's released a statement on twitter, albeit not admitting guilt but not disputing it either. Sure more will come out the woodwork over the coming days but let's face it with 200 odd breaches it really doesn't matter what he says.

Ban is excessive but sends a clear message; it's more about stamping our corruption than someone getting one up over the bookies.

The FA just need to get their act in order, so inconsistent with the length of bans

Back
Top Bottom