I've been charged Manufacturers delivery charge... is this normal?

Soldato
I decided to buy a new car, well in fact this was already made and in the factory so wasn't built to order. They had the exact colour and model in stock.

Not once was i told about this charge and now have to find another £400... Is this normal? Really disgusted they didn't at least give me the heads up! I've taken the loan out and now cant change the amount!

Associate
If it wasn't made clear before you signed for the car it seems very fishy indeed.

I would expect them to give you a sheet with all the costs you are agreeing too (car price, any extra warranty, additional insurance products, etc.).

Soldato
No agreement and nothing signed to say you're OK with it? Tell them go stick it

If you have aomething in writing then you're going to have to stump up

Associate
I would just tell them to stick the car, they will soon drop the extra charge if they wish to get an extra car sale.

You are the buyer here, they need you, you don't need them. There's tons of car dealerships.

Soldato
OP
Thankfully they've sent the order form through as i've paid the deposit but not signed the order form.

On closer inspection i've noticed they've added Autoglym paint protection which i didn't ask for.

I have an email saying:
Dacia Duster
- Five Acres Garage
Add to contacts
11/06/2015
[Keep this message at the top of your inbox]
To:

Good Morning Tim,

Please find below the details for the Dacia Duster as promised.

Dacia Duster Laureate 1.5dci

Black Metallic Paint

Manual

Styling Pack

£14,645

As mentioned on the phone we do also offer a full Paint & Interior Protection called Lifeshine. (lifetime warranty)

I have included a link to this as i think you will find this very beneficial if you are looking to keep the car for many years and also help with day to day life of the car.

http://app.lifeshine.com/nissan/car

As mentioned this is normally £600+ at premium brands such as Audi, BMW, Jaguar however we are able to offer it at only £299..!

I understand you are looking to take advantages of your bank loan which is fine and i look forward to your response soon.

I will need a £500 deposit to take the car from sale and allow me to order your new car!

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

Soldato
OP
Please no hate on the Dacia :D ..... Wife likes it and having come from a car thats cost us ££££ in repair's it nice to know we have a warranty... + the car really suits what we want out of it.

Replied with this:

RE: Dacia Duster
Tim Harris
17:27
To: Matt Chinn - Five Acres Garage

Hi Matt,

This was not the price that was agreed. Not once was i informed of manufacturer charges on top of the car... I simply can't afford that extra price.

More to the point the car had already been manufactured so cant understand how it could cost £500+ for delivery.

On further inpection I noticed you asked about the Autoglym paint protection and its on the order form. This isn't something i want or can afford, Please can this be removed.

I was also told by your manager that you would be taxing it for the year and is in the price that was agreed, Dont know what the "road fund licence" is?

I'm only able to pay the £14145. I will be pull out of the deal if i have to pay more. I have taken the loan amount out and the money is currently sat in the bank.

Please call me anytime tomorrow.

Thanks,
Tim

Soldato
OP
On a side note.... If you guys say its worth getting the Protection autoglym then i might be tempted?

Looks i might have jumped the gun a bit sorry guys... Saw the final price and nearly had a heart attack. I think it is the Protection paint stuff.

Sorry :(

Soldato
Bit of a moot point and not trying to teach you to suck eggs but when writing a response like that try and keep all emotion out of it.

Stick to the basic facts I.e price x was agreed price y has been invoiced, only the agreed sum x will be acceptable. The what's and whys of you not wanting/being able to afford it etc is totally irrelevant

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bit of a noot point and not trying to teach you to suck eggs but when writing a response like that try and keep all emotion out of it.

Stick to the basic facts I.e price x was agreed price y has been invoiced, only the agreed sum x will be acceptable. The what's and whys of you not wanting/being able to afford it etc is totally irrelevant

Yeah knee jerk panic response.

Associate
the paint protection really isnt worth it. Take it to a detailer and get proper stuff applied if you really want something like that.

I disagree, i think it's worth it. It's only £299, plus you 'should' get a LifeShine pack worth about £60~ (according to ebay) which is full off cleaning things etc which you can keep in your boot.

Will a indy detailer or small business detailing shop really offer a LIFETIME warranty on things they apply to a car?

Soldato
I disagree, i think it's worth it. It's only £299, plus you 'should' get a LifeShine pack worth about £60~ (according to ebay) which is full off cleaning things etc which you can keep in your boot.

Will a indy detailer or small business detailing shop really offer a LIFETIME warranty on things they apply to a car?

no but it will actually do something...whats the point in a warranty on something that's not worth having?

Man of Honour
All new car OTR prices will include a delivery charge. It's part of the OTR price.

Dacia is no different:

'Manufacturers on the road price includes delivery to dealer premesis'

Soldato

It's certainly not worth it, these paint treatments are almost pure profit for the dealerships which is why they push them hard.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28177214 said:
All new car OTR prices will include a delivery charge. It's part of the OTR price.

Dacia is no different:

'Manufacturers on the road price includes delivery to dealer premesis'

This, my car had one even though it was on the forecourt

Back
Top Bottom