I've been charged Manufacturers delivery charge... is this normal?

Soldato
Quite.

Audi don't try to charge £600 either, more to the point it's an utterly pointless waste of money.

Knocked Audi down to £100 for it on a new car...then said no thank you! :D:D

It's not worth the sticker they put on your window for it!

Get a proper detailer to do a 'new car protection' or better still get the products, do it yourself, over and over! ;)

Man of Honour
the paint protection really isnt worth it. Take it to a detailer and get proper stuff applied if you really want something like that.

Indeed obviously won't get a guarantee (whatever that is worth) but have a friend who does detailing who'll do a lot better job for less money than that and I suspect many of the other indies are similar.

Associate
If it's a non-factory order then the car will likely be part of the dealership agreement to take x amount of cars or it's a cancelled order. Stick to your guns I suspect they will honor the agreed price.

As a bargaining tool run the car details through carwow, drive the deal etc you will get quotes withing a day which might be less than your current offer even if the car's not to your spec let them know that you are ready to walk away for the better deal if you get one.

Man of Honour
I disagree, i think it's worth it. It's only £299, plus you 'should' get a LifeShine pack worth about £60~ (according to ebay) which is full off cleaning things etc which you can keep in your boot.

Will a indy detailer or small business detailing shop really offer a LIFETIME warranty on things they apply to a car?

Sorry, but it is not worth the money no matter how well it was positioned to you or how much the 'kit' is available for on eBay. It is a margin generator nothing more and costs circa 15 quid to the dealer.

Man of Honour
To the OP if you are unhappy with the deal them walk. If you were quoted an on the road price and now they seek an additional charge tell them to go **** themselves. Road fund licence is road tax. Also the claims made by the sales person about the treatment shows someone of limited morals.

Soldato
OP
If it's a non-factory order then the car will likely be part of the dealership agreement to take x amount of cars or it's a cancelled order. Stick to your guns I suspect they will honor the agreed price.

As a bargaining tool run the car details through carwow, drive the deal etc you will get quotes withing a day which might be less than your current offer even if the car's not to your spec let them know that you are ready to walk away for the better deal if you get one.

See this is what worries me, he's sent me an order from through email to sign. I'm not going to sign it as i've not seen the car, for all i know it could be last years model and not have the same upgraded features such as the front grill etc. I'm really worried that if i signed the order form I'l have no rights if it does prove to be an older version of the car.

A few times he's lied to me, i've been told in email which i assume is legally binding that all i needed to do was to pay £500 deposit to secure the order. I see no reason why i should sign the order form.

What are my legal rights? I dont want my deposit back as i want to car, but i also want the car i've asked for. If he says "well take your deposit back" if you're not going to sign the order form where do i stand legally? I've already comitted to a loan and the money is in my bank.

I'm being over paranoid here i know, but this is a big deal to me.

To the OP if you are unhappy with the deal them walk. If you were quoted an on the road price and now they seek an additional charge tell them to go **** themselves. Road fund licence is road tax. Also the claims made by the sales person about the treatment shows someone of limited morals.

I'm confident i can get it at the OP. My only problem is that the reason i went for this was purely because i couldn't wait 3 months for a car. I've made a list of the lies i've been told so far. Will put it in an email and sent it on.

Soldato
I disagree, i think it's worth it. It's only £299, plus you 'should' get a LifeShine pack worth about £60~ (according to ebay) which is full off cleaning things etc which you can keep in your boot.

Will a indy detailer or small business detailing shop really offer a LIFETIME warranty on things they apply to a car?

It really isn't worth it at all. It's £300 effectively for some bloke at the dealer to wax your car.

He'd be much better off saving that £300 and spending it on a high-quality professional detailing job a year or so down the line when the paint has picked up a few swirls and marks. A job where much higher quality products will be used.

Caporegime
It really isn't worth it at all. It's £300 effectively for some bloke at the dealer to wax your car.

He'd be much better off saving that £300 and spending it on a high-quality professional detailing job a year or so down the line when the paint has picked up a few swirls and marks. A job where much higher quality products will be used.

More important than the "higher quality products" is the actual level of skill!

I wouldn't even trust a dealer monkey to wash my car, let alone attempt to "detail" it. So much so that I specifically state that under no circumstances must me car be washed inside or out when it goes in to the dealer. The one time I did let the dealer wash my car (my old A6), it came back swirled to hell (no doubt as a result of using the same dropped sponge, with the same crusty bucket on 20 cars a day), and with what I could only describe as "slime" on the dashboard.

Soldato
More important than the "higher quality products" is the actual level of skill!

I wouldn't even trust a dealer monkey to wash my car, let alone attempt to "detail" it.

Heh, that's what I implied when I said "some bloke at the dealer" :)

So much so that I specifically state that under no circumstances must me car be washed inside or out when it goes in to the dealer.

Me too :D glad I'm not the only one. I noticed "DO NOT WASH" scrawled on the job sheet and the advisor was a bit confused as to why I requested it when I collected the car, but they followed my instructions which is good enough for me!

Man of Honour
Best way to avoid the wash is to hand the car over clean and request no wash on that basis. They take it a more seriously as everyone understands why you wouldnt be bothered about a wash on a clean car but quite a lot of people don't get the real reason why we dont want them washed..

Soldato
Lying scum. I can tell you jaguar do not charge 600 quid for life shine. I was quoted the same 299 you were on my XJ. I told them no thanks.

Audi also offered it and came down to £150, I still don't think it's worth it, a good Autoglym treatment is all you'll need.

Also when the op paid his deposit he should have got a written breakdown of the price.

Andi.

Associate
[TFU] Thegoon84;28178878 said:
See this is what worries me, he's sent me an order from through email to sign. I'm not going to sign it as i've not seen the car, for all i know it could be last years model and not have the same upgraded features such as the front grill etc. I'm really worried that if i signed the order form I'l have no rights if it does prove to be an older version of the car.

A few times he's lied to me, i've been told in email which i assume is legally binding that all i needed to do was to pay £500 deposit to secure the order. I see no reason why i should sign the order form.

What are my legal rights? I dont want my deposit back as i want to car, but i also want the car i've asked for. If he says "well take your deposit back" if you're not going to sign the order form where do i stand legally? I've already comitted to a loan and the money is in my bank.

I'm being over paranoid here i know, but this is a big deal to me.

I'm confident i can get it at the OP. My only problem is that the reason i went for this was purely because i couldn't wait 3 months for a car. I've made a list of the lies i've been told so far. Will put it in an email and sent it on.

I have just ordered a new Audi A4 which is coming from factory. All i have given is the £500 deposit and in return was given an order form. Nothing is signed or set 'in stone' until I go collect the car.

With regards to the loan you can just pay it back early, yes there is a fee but its normally peanuts! I got £25000 to clear finance on my RS so I could sell it, I paid it back about a month later and was maybe charged about £70 for the pleasure, unless of course your still in your 'cooling off' period?

Caporegime
I have just ordered a new Audi A4 which is coming from factory.

Why? :confused:

Got to be one of the absolute worst "new car" decisions that can be made this year, surely? The platform is REALLY old now, and as much as I like mine, the money is better spent on either alternative marques or by opting to step down/up to the A3 or A6.

Soldato
[TFU] Thegoon84;28178878 said:
A few times he's lied to me, i...

On the basis of that alone... I think I'd walk away!

This isn't some back street garage trying to hide a few little issues with a £800 banger, this is a brand new car and you shouldn't feel like you're being lied to and treated like dirt!

Nothing else at that price point takes your fancy / meets your needs?

Soldato
Renault/Dacia charge a £595 delivery fee but that's to the dealer. If you look in the brochure then you'll see the Retail price and then the OTR price. The OTR price includes the Delivery & First Registration Fee (£55). They shouldn't be charging the OTR price and then delivery. The only exception would be if they are transporting it from another dealer, but you should be able to get that waived.

A Black Laureate 1.5 4x2 with Styling Pack is £14,645 OTR. It shouldn't be any more for the car. It's also unlikely to be much less. There's around £350 profit in these cars for the dealer.

[TFU] Thegoon84;28176834 said:
Please no hate on the Dacia :D ..... Wife likes it and having come from a car thats cost us ££££ in repair's it nice to know we have a warranty... + the car really suits what we want out of it.

Replied with this:

Sounds like the deal has been badly consolidated. You aren't getting ripped off here. Sure, the paint protection isn't worth it but everything else is fine. If you're thinking that the price is £14,145 then I'd be very surprised if they'd sell it to you at that. That would certainly be a loss on the metal, though they may up your P/X to cover it I suppose if they were desperate for the sale which I doubt they are. However, if you're paying £14,145 plus the £500 deposit then it's a fine deal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom