i've just realised, we are having our trousers pulled down!

Soldato
well, by 'we', i mean 'us' as a country and it's a lie that i say i have just realised, it's more a case of now i feel like doing something about it. what am i talking about? the cost of living in this country of course! i just filled my motor up and paid 1.29 per litre for the privelage, i then paid and even though i'm off the smokes for the month noticed that 20 marlboro was nearly £7! i understand that VAT has now gone up to a quite ridiculous 20% and it is now apparent that retailers are using this as an excuse to add a but more of a hike in price but other than have a good old moan about it, is there actually anything people can do or are we just expected to have it harder again this year than last year and repeat?

Soldato
OP
It's all part of a two-decade long cleanup process to fix the mistakes of the last government.

great, well at 31 that's 2 very important decades for me, essentially it's going to be crap! about time i worked on my 5 year plan to get out of here.

students protested against the rise in tuition fees, yet we just seem to continually take this shafting!

Soldato
OP
The thing i dont like is .. or understand is that while vat is going up and general items will get more expensive as a result.. but will this reflected price ever come down over the course of time when the debt has been reduced?

i.e in time will vat ever go back down.. or will we just get used to it and adjust accordingly and the government will just leave it at that to make a few extra quid.

This question just came up on ch4 on the vat rise discussion on the lass under the spotlight didnt really have an answer for this!

no, it will never come back down. manufacturers, suppliers and retailers will all add on their little bit on top of the regulated VAT. this is a right pigs ear of an economy. drop it to 15% only to hike it back up to a record level within a little over 18 months. nice one.

Soldato
OP
the trouble is, who to target? i believe it has to be the oil suppliers and energy companies, everything stems from transport costs for which the oil companies are responsible for and continue to announce record profits, same for the energy suppliers, they're all way too greedy yet we just watch things carry on as they do so.

Soldato
OP
What's wrong with it?! It's absolutely retarded and totally backwards thinking. It wouldn't bring new businesses to our shores when they are much needed and it would drive current businesses away which would quickly empty our purse. What would be the benefit of taxing profit makers highly? We'd get more money? No, they'd leave and we'd get hee-haw.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Superewza hilarious.

is it anymore retarded that crippling the poor whilst the super rich pull all the strings and get all the perks? not to me it isn't, things need to change. the fear of the big companies leaving could be controlled if people had the balls to do it.

Soldato
OP
don't forget, we also give away 6 billion in aid. but wait! 6 billion isn't that much anyway really, is it? what this government doesn't realise is that facts such as these really annoy a lot of people. and don't believe anyone it's not money being spent to keep china out of africa either.

Soldato
OP
Raising VAT, I can live with that, but when the government thinks that fighting AMERICA'S WAR is more important than the education of our youth, then truly we are screwed.

an excellent point. wait for an economist expert to step in and blow it to pieces with 'facts' from a pile of paper.

Soldato
OP
But you're not being shafted! This is like hitting my head against a brick wall. We have a massive deficit, it NEEDS to be cut. We need to implement measures to do this. This is what we are doing. If we don't, I guarantee you'll feel you're getting even more shafted.

and why do we have a massive deficit?

Soldato
OP
The public for only voting for people who said "We'll give you more free stuff and take less" for over a decade?

well, i didn't vote labour in, in 1997, i wasn't old enough to vote. it can't possibly be my fault. it can't be the publics fault, who's fault is it?

Soldato
OP
I despise what NI has become. It used to be to provide for specific pseudo insurance provided by the state - certain parts of the welfare state. But it's now become just the same as income tax, except people seem to notice it less.

A borderline poor person pays VAT, pays NI, pays income tax - plus assorted other taxes. We then make it better for them with tax credits. Are we idiots? Yes. It'd be cheaper just to charge income tax only, and to change the bandings. Save us a fortune.

NI is increasing this year

tax credits are a ridiculous system. as stated, why not reduce at the tax point? maybe because the government knows not everyone will get their application for credits done in time or correctly or apply for them at all?

Soldato
OP
But the UK has such vibrant ethnic diversity and rich culture, history, museums, theatres and things.

Surely the high cost of living is a small price to pay to live in such a wonderful place?

only the super rich can afford such luxuries! tesco's own please!

Soldato
OP
You do realise that Oil companies make around 2p a litre profit on fuel right? The petrol station probably makes more than that. .

i remember reading that petrol stations will most likely sell fuel at cost in the hope of making money on other products they sell?

Back
Top Bottom