Ivers Guide to keeping your system secure and safe.

Caporegime
Hey any of fellas that are using pg pr14, are u guys getting any updates, since i installed it ive only had one update which i find strange :confused: altho its set to auto update and when i login it does connect to the homepage but says no updates since last update??? :confused:

Caporegime
Right well im having major probs with PG pr14, today it did an update which went fine but then i rebooted and found that peerguardian no longer works :confused:. Anyways lads just a heads up for those who use it, i went over to the methalbs forums and the developer is working on a fix as we speak so hopefully it should be sorted out soon :)

Soldato
Originally posted by Spawn
Right well im having major probs with PG pr14, today it did an update which went fine but then i rebooted and found that peerguardian no longer works :confused:. Anyways lads just a heads up for those who use it, i went over to the methalbs forums and the developer is working on a fix as we speak so hopefully it should be sorted out soon :)

Would this be because "peerguardian.net " is no more ?

That's where it looks for the list isn't it ? they'll have to come up with a fix to change where the list is downloaded from.

Until then you'll have to update the list manually.

Mark

Caporegime
Originally posted by Kipper67
Would this be because "peerguardian.net " is no more ?

That's where it looks for the list isn't it ? they'll have to come up with a fix to change where the list is downloaded from.

Until then you'll have to update the list manually.

Mark

I have no idea mate, this week its downloaded 2 updates, the one it did last nite was the one that screwed it up i think. But the last i heard was that the bloke whos the developer is working on a fix, ill have to check when i get home to see if its back to normal :)

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Hosts file

http://accs-net.com/hosts/

What is the Hosts file, and how does it stop ads and tracking?

The Short Answer:

The short answer is that the Hosts file is like an address book. When you type an address like www.yahoo.com into your browser, the Hosts file is consulted to see if you have the IP address, or "telephone number," for that site. If you do, then your computer will "call it" and the site will open. If not, your computer will ask your ISP's (internet service provider) computer for the phone number before it can "call" that site. Most of the time, you do not have addresses in your "address book," because you have not put any there. Therefore, most of the time your computer asks for the IP address from your ISP to find sites.

If you put ad server names into your Hosts file with your own computer's IP address, your computer will never be able to contact the ad server. It will try to, but it will be simply calling itself and get a "busy signal" of sorts. Your computer will then give up calling the ad server and no ads will be loaded, nor will any tracking take place. Your choices for blocking sites are not just limited to blocking ad servers. You may block sites that serve advertisements, sites that serve objectionable content, or any other site that you choose to block.

Remember to disable DNS if you have Win XP.

heres quite a large one. http://www.alanofdale.net/download/hosts.zip

Rename it to hosts and put it in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

B&W

B&W

Soldato
its worth gettin a program that will monitor your important files and programs. processguard is very good.

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/

DiamondCS Process Guard is an advanced security system that protects both system and security processes (as well as user-defined processes) from attacks by other processes, services, drivers, and other forms of executing code on your system. The first program of its kind, Process Guard is made possible by a kernel-mode driver that securely controls process-to-process access in a relatively simple but technically efficient, safe, and secure manner. Although Process Guard is a very powerful program due to its low-level nature, its intuitive graphical interface actually makes it very easy to use for both novice and advanced users alike.

regprot and filechecker are free.

Soldato
not sure if its been posted before but The Cleaner is a fantastic little proggie.

http://www.moosoft.com/

it throws a massive tantrum and stopps prosesses if anything tries to change anything in your registry until you say if its ok or not.

after a couple of years use i still havent figured out to turn it off when installing programs i know are safe :D

Soldato
Re: Re: Ivers Guide to keeping your system secure and safe.

Originally posted by Curiosityx
EDIT: Woops my fault, youve already said this :o

Just a quick tip about PG, id use it mainly because the plain text file with the listed IP's seen below

http://www.simply-click.org/uploadertest/pg2_plaintext.asp

Can smply been copy and pasted into the Guarding.P2P file in the programs directory and Bingo.....231 IP ranges instantly installed into your new firewall :cool:
Hi,

Tried accessing this but it says page not found, any ideas ?

thanks, mark..............

Back
Top Bottom