Ivers Guide to keeping your system secure and safe.

Associate
Iver Athlon said:
I could'nt suggest a firewall at mo, Ive been using SP2's and my routers NAT quite happilly since I gave up on sygate about 6 months ago.

I can tell you norton products are rubbish due to the huge amounts of bloat and system rescources they needlessly consume. Ive used system works and their personal firewall in the (recent & not so recent) past and never again.

Sygate has just been taken over by norton so expect that to go down the crapper soon.. if it hasnt already.

I would also be intrested in the latest and greatest software firewalls:) Ive never been thrilled with zone alarm btw.

Just to say I completely agree with your evaluation of everything NORTON :mad: it is truly CRAP!

I'd been running Avast & Sygate with little or no problems until recently when sygate started letting things in (no suprise as it's been bought by symantec) When I discovered this I changed over and tried a few others but found Kerio to be the best alternative and much more straight forward than Sygate anyway. I like it so much i've just upgraded to the full Kerio PF package for £14.99 and it's very very good!

Soldato
since i got symantec coperate edition, i ahvnt ahd any troubles. that+windows firewall+nvdia firewall+ spybot+ windwos defender + micrsoft maicious software removall tool + something that turns off utp or something (grc.com). means that i dont ahve any trouble

Associate
I have been using Avast Free Edition for anti-virus and not had any problems. Mind I am behind a router with NATs. I have been trying Windows Firewall but just changed today to Kerio as I gather the Windows one is only a one-way firewall.

Anyone got any suggestions for better products that I am using please?

Associate
Ive been using a program called WinPatrol, free version available it monitors your system for changes and pops up a window asking you if you will allow the change.

Monitors things like
* modifications to your hosts file
* changes to your startup prodrams (ie additions)
* services
* IE helper programs
* file types

Have a look at http://www.winpatrol.com/

Back
Top Bottom