• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ivy bridge heat issues

Associate
Hey guys,

I have heard that ivy bridge runs very hot whilst overclocked that's why I intend on getting a i30 cooler with two sharkoon silent eagle fans.

Two things that I want to know is whether Intel will fix the problem with the thermal paste under the heatspreader and if they do not what thermal paste would you recommend for it. With the i30 I do get a syringe of MX4 paste.

Thanks

Caporegime
The heat problem only seems to come into play at high clocks with high voltage. The only way to fix it is to de-lid the cpu and replace the paste yourself, not for the faint hearted, and it will obviously void the warranty.

Associate
Don't think Intel will be "fixing" the current thermal issues for Ivy (I could be wrong but I've not seen anything), it'll likely be resolved with the next gen.

Afaik, the thermal issue only kicks in at a certain stage, depending how much you overclock you may not experience it. Could play it safe by stepping up the clock bit by bit till you reach your target, monitoring temps along the way :)

Associate
4.6GHz is when temps start to skyrocket, expect at least 83C under load even on a D-14. 4.5Ghz is the sweet spot for air imo, 4.4 is even better. The voltage jump from 4.2 to 4.5 is also significant.

It's not really guaranteed to replace the TIM under the heatspreader, I was careful and my 3570K is dead. :)

Associate
To me that is backwards, I feel CPU heatsink is far more important than general case airflow. If you want to overclock don't skimp on the HSF.

Personally think the i30 look's overpriced.

Silver arrow SB-E
Noctua D-14
Alpenfohn K2 Mount Doom
Phanteks

Soldato
I reckon I might get a corsair H100 and put two silent eagle 1000's on it.
What do you guys think on this?

I'd probably still go with the silver arrow over the h100, not much in it and peace of mind that its not gonna spew liquid over your pc.
Personal experience and a bit of reading and as brian said 4.5 will be about your limit unless your lucky.

OcUK Staff
Each chip is different and should be clocked as so.

Other voltages such as PLL and VCCIO need careful tuning too. Also High memory Mhz and Tight timing impact on CPU clocking.

When you need a lot more voltage for the next jump in frequency back off. You should not exceed the capacity of any decent Heat Sink using this method and a couple of hundred mhz make no difference unless your benching.

Associate
With a D14 im getting 4.5ghz at 1.2volts.

8pack is 100% spot on, its really down to the individual chip.
Little bit of tinkering helps loads.

With the tinkering and the quality D14 you can drop the temps to a healthey level.

Back
Top Bottom