De-lidded 3770k!!

Soldato
*WARNING*
This will only work on IVY's, sandybridge heatsink top is soldered.

well got a 3770k about 5 days ago and after a little play i thought temps were a little high!!

this is running prime for 10mins @4.4ghz/1.25v
lidded.jpg

so did a little reading and thought what the heck i'm gonna have a go!!!
plus going under water so thought that it would benefit from the operation.

lid on.
SAM_0904.jpg

Under the knife, slowly slowly!
SAM_0907.jpg

voila, lid off!
SAM_0908.jpg

time to clean that mess off, did it the best i could for now as i need some better tim, used AS 5 for now.

SAM_0909.jpg

all back together in my PC, it fires up!!! nice, i've not killed it!
right same test, 10 mins of prime and NO settings changed.

delid.jpg

Well i'm happy with those results, took me half an hour from start to finish, well worth it, and the temps should get better when the tim cures a little:D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
did you just push in the tip of the blade all the way around? i have to admit its rather daunting,starting off is the worst part

using just the blade on a corner just rocked it side to side, you do need quite a bit of preasure but once through just ran the tip round, had a picture of someone else's next to me on my ipad so i could roughly judge how deep to go in. The top and bottom is the risky bit as the core is quite close.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice! Was gonna make a thread about this as well. Do you still have the IHS on after replacing the thermal paste?

I found that I got 10C difference just by replacing the thermal paste, and another 10C+ difference with the cooler directly mounted on die, so a total of 20C+ less temp. I'm able to run it at 4.8Ghz as a result.

Soldato
OP
So I assume the fact AS5 is capacitive doesn't cause a problem?

it appears not too.

Nice! Was gonna make a thread about this as well. Do you still have the IHS on after replacing the thermal paste?

I found that I got 10C difference just by replacing the thermal paste, and another 10C+ difference with the cooler directly mounted on die, so a total of 20C+ less temp. I'm able to run it at 4.8Ghz as a result.

yeah the IHS is back on, once underwater will have a play without the IHS and with some liquid pro which is meant to be about the best replacement.

and a 20c drop is quite an achievement :cool:

Back
Top Bottom