• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ivy Bridge Temperatures Could Be Linked To TIM Inside Integrated Heatspreader: Report

Soldato
theyve never been copper/aluminium have they?

I think they have been. I remember lapping IHSs to a smooth copper finish.

E6300, Q6600 and E8400.

I didn't bother with my Q9550, but I'm sure that was copper as well.

Just google "lapped processor".

Hope it's retail, I'm thinkin direct contact CPU-> heatsink would b awesome

Have to be really careful as you could crush the corners of the die.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I was thinking this myself but it was a bit conspiratorial, Intel may have done it to intentionally limit overclocking...

For example the SB-E heatspreader has a hole in the corner which helps improve IHS contact during manufacturing, afaik it stops gases getting trapped so Intel obviously take more care in ensuring the IHS contact is good on SB-E.

What Intel should really do is release the overclocked 'K' models without any IHS at all like AMD used to, IHS for the most part hinder cooling. Or pehaps they have gone this (solderless) route so that those who dare CAN remove the IHS and void their warranty in the process. Is the IB IHS easy to remove?

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this more of a reason to get SB then?

Not really.

It's not like this is somehow inherently bad. It's just a possible explanation for heat issues, issues you know about already.

Maybe this will change with future revisions of the chips?

Don't know. The impact of the change could be nothing in reality.

I find it hard to believe Intel didn't consider the effect when they made it.

Soldato
It would be interesting if somebody were to solder the IHS back onto an IB cpu (if possible) and test the temperature and see if it actually makes a difference. Could have next to no improvement..

Soldato
Intel aren't stupid, I'm sure they tested many variations and applied the most suitable arrangement.

Removing or replacing the TIM isn't going to be some magic cure to heat issues!

Caporegime
Replacing the TIM between the die and IHS is retarded, if you're going to rip off the IHS the best thing to do is to not use it altogether, direct contact between die and the heatsink is the most efficient way to transfer heat... you just have to be carefeul not to crush the die.

It may be that Intel realised that IB runs hot as hell and gave enthusiasts the option to completely remove the IHS, which with solder is not possible.

Permabanned
OP
Thats good, its good to know that Intel using cheaper methods isn't the problem

Yeh, just need to verify if proper contact was made and what TIM he used. I would imagine from the posts at Overclock.net that Intel don't use regular of the shelf TIM and judging from charts it does make a difference in temps.

The plot thickens :D

Associate
I changed the paste between the IHS and die, but the IHS HAS to be in place, or else the brittle processor pcb does not make proper contact with the socket pins. This operation helped a little, now it doesn't throttle so easily near 4.9Ghz. I got +50Mhz, so there is NO BENEFIT. So, DO NOT destroy your cpu's

That sounds like he simply removed the IHS, replaced the existing TIM with some other TIM and then put the IHS back on which would do precisely nothing. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Soldato
You do know the IHS increase the surface aera of which is to be cooled? Thus proving it's a reason to keep and have one

Why would transferring the heat from the small core, to a large heat spreader to a large heat sink be more efficient than taking the heat directly from the core to a large heat sink? either way you are limited by how fast the heat can be removed from the small core to the mating surface...

Its just adding another layer for the heat to travel though.

Back
Top Bottom